Impression: Sony could be playing 4D Chess moves to manoeuvre themselves out of PC publishing

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Cause after the Helldivers 2 fiasco it is the best solution.

You have Steam Lunatics complaining that PSN isn’t mandatory or required when it clearly was from Day 1.

Imagine what would happen when Steam users from Non PSN countries realise they can’t play online cause they need PSN.
No but Ghost of Tsushima is the single player experience, it is legendary. They had it listed for countries and said multiplayer required PSN and that was great.

This is just ridiculous, because they are missing out on a the entire singleplayer experience.. when if it was listed they would only miss out on the Legends mode

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No but Ghost of Tsushima is the single player experience, it is legendary. They had it listed for countries and said multiplayer required PSN and that was great.

This is just ridiculous, because they are missing out on a the entire singleplayer experience.. when if it was listed they would only miss out on the Legends mode

What you said would have opened a can of worms.

Helldivers 2 is proof enough.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

They could have also not have ported the game at all to PC, and we wouldn't have this discussion at all.

Seems like it would have been the best business decision anyway, going by how these ports are welcomed.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Some examples of mad PCMR whinning:

What money? ☠️😂

More lies

That fake Japanese dude also there 💀

40k impressions on Twitter! That's some number for a thread. Elon Musk will pay Icon handsomely. 😎

• Shake
Reactions: Gediminas

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
What some continue to ignore is that Sony is not dependent on the PC market. For Sony, this represents an additional annual turnover of over 200 million dollars, and thanks to Helldivers 2, this will probably be significantly higher.

Sony has repeatedly reiterated in recent weeks that the console business is their main business. As long as they have to give up 30% of PC port sales, they will not change their own strategy in my opinion. Any change in strategy could affect the sales figures of the consoles. Many PC ports had zero marketing, were technically poor, or were not well thought out (PSN linking in markets without PSN). For some, this is a sign that Sony is overwhelmed, but alternatively it could also be a sign that they don't care. Ghost of Tsushima has sold millions of copies on console, made a decent profit, and since the port was created by its own studio, the PC port will make an immediate profit.

At the moment, Sony's strategy reminds me more of how they handled the Vita and PSVR2. PSVR2 was certainly sold at a price that Sony is not paying for. At the start there was some funny marketing with celebrities, since then Sony has relied on VR enthusiasts getting enough games to buy the headset. The device is currently far too expensive for the mass market, Sony knows that too. And Sony also knows what percentage of PC gamers are actually able to play PS5 ports in better or equivalent quality than on PS5. If you look at various statistics and surveys from Steam, this is probably significantly less than PS5 users. Things were different with PS4 game ports, where a mid-range PC was enough to display God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn in significantly better quality than on a PS4 Pro.

To get back to the topic. I don't think Sony plays 4D chess, but they have enough experience when it comes to realistic sales expectations. Why invest money in marketing for ports or opening up new markets if it's not currently worth it? Regarding the blocked markets on Steam, I can only quote Greg Miller, one of the biggest "PC friends": Just buy a PS5 and the problem is solved. PS5 consoles are being sold despite the lack of PSN, most first party titles can be played completely offline (unlike Xbox). In the case of Ghost of Tsushima, the Director's Cut is also available cheaply on disc. For this reason too, it wouldn't be surprising if Sony isn't interested in expanding PSN to cover all markets.

In my opinion, Sony currently has other problems than showering PC gamers with love and understanding. The PC market is currently shrinking just like the console market. It should be much more important to appoint a new CEO, officially lower console prices, and finally announce and show games that will generate enthusiasm and thus increase demand for consoles. At the moment, the PC market is being made out to be much more important than it is, and Sony makes an average of 10 times more sales on consoles than on PC. That may change at some point; when I look at the current debates, sales figures for HFW, or encouragement of piracy, I think Sony will port more old games, but that's all.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some examples of mad PCMR whinning:
That fake Japanese dude also there 💀
Nah, it's just common random people surpised after reading laughable nonsense in this thread.

What money? ☠️😂
I assume they mean this one, the one they make on PC and keeps growing very fast year after year:
image.png

This includes more recent data but also 1st party revenue in rival consoles, plus Bungie since the start of FY22 instead of since they completed their acquisition:
image.png

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What some continue to ignore is that Sony is not dependent on the PC market. For Sony, this represents an additional annual turnover of over 200 million dollars, and thanks to Helldivers 2, this will probably be significantly higher.

Sony has repeatedly reiterated in recent weeks that the console business is their main business. As long as they have to give up 30% of PC port sales, they will not change their own strategy in my opinion. Any change in strategy could affect the sales figures of the consoles. Many PC ports had zero marketing, were technically poor, or were not well thought out (PSN linking in markets without PSN). For some, this is a sign that Sony is overwhelmed, but alternatively it could also be a sign that they don't care. Ghost of Tsushima has sold millions of copies on console, made a decent profit, and since the port was created by its own studio, the PC port will make an immediate profit.

At the moment, Sony's strategy reminds me more of how they handled the Vita and PSVR2. PSVR2 was certainly sold at a price that Sony is not paying for. At the start there was some funny marketing with celebrities, since then Sony has relied on VR enthusiasts getting enough games to buy the headset. The device is currently far too expensive for the mass market, Sony knows that too. And Sony also knows what percentage of PC gamers are actually able to play PS5 ports in better or equivalent quality than on PS5. If you look at various statistics and surveys from Steam, this is probably significantly less than PS5 users. Things were different with PS4 game ports, where a mid-range PC was enough to display God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn in significantly better quality than on a PS4 Pro.

To get back to the topic. I don't think Sony plays 4D chess, but they have enough experience when it comes to realistic sales expectations. Why invest money in marketing for ports or opening up new markets if it's not currently worth it? Regarding the blocked markets on Steam, I can only quote Greg Miller, one of the biggest "PC friends": Just buy a PS5 and the problem is solved. PS5 consoles are being sold despite the lack of PSN, most first party titles can be played completely offline (unlike Xbox). In the case of Ghost of Tsushima, the Director's Cut is also available cheaply on disc. For this reason too, it wouldn't be surprising if Sony isn't interested in expanding PSN to cover all markets.

In my opinion, Sony currently has other problems than showering PC gamers with love and understanding. The PC market is currently shrinking just like the console market. It should be much more important to appoint a new CEO, officially lower console prices, and finally announce and show games that will generate enthusiasm and thus increase demand for consoles. At the moment, the PC market is being made out to be much more important than it is, and Sony makes an average of 10 times more sales on consoles than on PC. That may change at some point; when I look at the current debates, sales figures for HFW, or encouragement of piracy, I think Sony will port more old games, but that's all.
What is frustrating is that all along it was so obvious that only porting GaaS titles was the optimum and reasonable path Sony could've taken.

All this support going to PC just highlight all their shortcomings. Neither PS4 or PS5 ever got so much support for games of previous generations, they still charge for online and save storage on PlayStation (while it's free on PC despite the fact that Valve gets a 30% cut).

They chose to expose themselves in exchange for crumbs and they deserve all the ruin that awaits them and their console business.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
PC ports except TLOU remake at launch were not technically poor whatsoever.

All the PC ports except TLOU were incredibly well done, the Spiderman remastered and MM can run on a potato PC.

Horizon Franchise and GoW were really well done as well.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
they should just become a software company then. Why are you still selling hardware if you're this obsessed with trying to break into the PC sphere

Reactions: Umar

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
they should just become a software company then. Why are you still selling hardware if you're this obsessed with trying to break into the PC sphere
They aren't. They see it as extra revenue YEARS after releasing there.

If they were they wouldn't make Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and Rebirth completely exclusive at launch.

And this is just 2024.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
They aren't. They see it as extra revenue YEARS after releasing there.

If they were they wouldn't make Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and Rebirth completely exclusive at launch.

And this is just 2024.
if they aren't then why are they porting more and more games to PC giving even less reasons to buy a Playstation console

everyone knows Nintendo is the only place to play Nintendo games and it will forever be the only place to buy Nintendo games. So you have to go out and actively buy a Switch if you ever want to play Zelda, Mario or Pokemon

this is now no longer the case with Playstation and it is destroying their brand and will destroy their quality of games in the future as well. PC gaming is a downward spiral that will make us happier with less

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
if they aren't then why are they porting more and more games to PC giving even less reasons to buy a Playstation console

everyone knows Nintendo is the only place to play Nintendo games and it will forever be the only place to buy Nintendo games. So you have to go out and actively buy a Switch if you ever want to play Zelda, Mario or Pokemon

this is now no longer the case with Playstation and it is destroying their brand and will destroy their quality of games in the future as well. PC gaming is a downward spiral that will make us happier with less

Your perspective could very well be right, especially when you relate it to Nintendo.

But I do think the sales can be a very good resort as studios are in a tough position and need more funds.

But PC users could definitely buy a Playstation just because of few exclusive titles as well as not having to wait like 2000 days to receive a sequel for their favorite game.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Your perspective could very well be right, especially when you relate it to Nintendo.

But I do think the sales can be a very good resort as studios are in a tough position and need more funds.

But PC users could definitely buy a Playstation just because of few exclusive titles as well as not having to wait like 2000 days to receive a sequel for their favorite game.

they should just become a software company then if they cant finance the development

the development and R&D of new consoles is extremely expensive

you can't do both then decide port games to rival platforms then expect to expand your PS install base

its moronic

Reactions: Umar