INSIDE APPLE'S PUSH TO TRANSFORM THE MAC INTO A GAMING PARADISE

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Saying the Mac audience isn't there for games is a mistake. You can't show up for something that isn't available, first the games need to become available and then the audience will start growing.

Linux is the same way, for decades Windows was pretty much the only choice for gaming but now it isn't anymore and Linux will hopefully gain momentum over time as the solutions mature.

TaySan

5 Sep 2022
Apple got a loooong ways to go to be even competitive to Windows for gaming but im glad games are coming to the platform

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Mac installbase is always going to be a tiny portion of the PC market because they are overpriced and underpowered compared to the competition. But they have a winning card: their phones + tablets userbase. To become an important player in AAA gaming they need to follow these steps:
  • Make these games crossbuy and crossplay between Mac, iPhone and iPad
  • Release a seamless way to connect the phone or tablet to any tv, something like maybe wireless HDMI (with a HDMI dongle for not compatible tvs or monitors)
  • Release an Apple joycon-like controllers that can be attached to any iPhone or iPad
  • 12% cut instead of 30% cut for paid games and allow the big ones (Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft...) to have their own stores

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The Mac installbase is always going to be a tiny portion of the PC market because they are overpriced and underpowered compared to the competition. But they have a winning card: their phones + tablets userbase. To become an important player in AAA gaming they need to follow these steps:
  • Make these games crossbuy and crossplay between Mac, iPhone and iPad
  • Release a seamless way to connect the phone or tablet to any tv, something like maybe wireless HDMI (with a HDMI dongle for not compatible tvs or monitors)
  • Release an Apple joycon-like controllers that can be attached to any iPhone or iPad
  • 12% cut instead of 30% cut for paid games and allow the big ones (Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft...) to have their own stores
There’s no need for your second point, as AirPlay is a thing that has existed for years, is built into every AppleTV and smart TVs from many manufacturers.

Your fourth point is also moot, as Origin, Steam, Epic and GOG Galaxy are all already on Mac.

Controllers aren’t needed from Apple themselves, as any standard Bluetooth controller works, and PS and Xbox controllers even have the correct button symbol graphics.

Your first point is valid, but a lot of games sold on the App Store already have licenses for iOS and MacOS included and almost all games on Arcade are on iOS, MacOS and tvOS right from release.

Less than five minutes of research would have saved you a post!

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If they make the effort I dont doubt them beating Windows after awhile. To me they havent really started or made the effort yet before.
They just need a cheaper entry model And effort.

Also its funny the thing that made Xbox a success was stolen from another Apple idea (Halo), MS barely ever creates something succesful by themselves.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If they make the effort I dont doubt them beating Windows after awhile. To me they havent really started or made the effort yet before.
They just need a cheaper entry model And effort.

Also its funny the thing that made Xbox a success was stolen from another Apple idea (Halo), MS barely ever creates something succesful by themselves.
They won't make a big concentrated effort.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Apple got a loooong ways to go to be even competitive to Windows for gaming but im glad games are coming to the platform
MS is doing their part to push people away from Windows as well, so everybody is working hard on a solution.

They (Apple) still have a price problem as soon as you go beyond the most basic configuration to get decent storage and RAM.
They also have a longevity problem, those built-in SSDs are like time bombs inside these machines, once they die I don't even know if you can boot them off of an external drive.

At least you can plug a laptop once the battery becomes useless.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The only way to enter gaming is to make an affordable platform with attractive content.
Which is apple will probably fail. They cannot for their life be affordable. What I'm afraid of is if they actually succeed with their overpriced shit: everybody else will copy them, and consumers will be fucked yet again

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Which is apple will probably fail. They cannot for their life be affordable. What I'm afraid of is if they actually succeed with their overpriced shit: everybody else will copy them, and consumers will be fucked yet again
Nah for gaming ppl won't go for their over priced shit. I doubt it although it is a possibility. I loved Neo Geo but it was gd it failed because it was so expensive.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nah for gaming ppl won't go for their over priced shit. I doubt it although it is a possibility. I loved Neo Geo but it was gd it failed because it was so expensive.
You underestimate the power of apple fanboyism. A lot of their core userbase would buy an Apple console just because it has an apple. It kinda reminds me of this fake ad.

apple_water_page.jpg

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You underestimate the power of apple fanboyism. A lot of their core userbase would buy an Apple console just because it has an apple. It kinda reminds me of this fake ad.

apple_water_page.jpg
Nah I know lol I just wonder how many apple fans are gamers.. I know the core will definitely buy it. They are crazy.

Reactions: Jim Ryan