Insider Gaming: First Details on PlayStation 5 'Project Cronus' | PS5 Slim will only be 5cm smaller

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
update-do-PS5-900x503.jpg

Internally named Project Cronos (we previously reported this as Cronus), the new streaming architecture aims to build a robust PS5 streaming experience that will serve as a major step forward in the company’s growth in the ever-growing market.

It’s understood that the development of Cronos began 5 years ago due to the complexity surrounding the PlayStation 5’s SSD. Whilst the SSD is very fast in the PS5, it created a new challenge that made it impossible for Sony to develop the infrastructure needed using current technology on the market (functionality, latency, etc.). This meant that Sony, under the Future Technology Group, designed a completely new network storage solution based on PCIe (NTB) which leverages NTB and the PS5 I/O co-processors.

The final product is a custom storage server under the codename ‘Kura’ which reads up to 5 GB/s with <1ms latency.

Sources said that Sony will have a total of 28 data centers across 15 metros for the PS5 Cloud streaming rollout, with its plans to fully launch the feature in FY23 (April 2023 – March 2024).

Cronus Source

A supposed independent software developer has leaked a brief description of what is supposedly the Playstation 5 Slim onto Twitter today. From what they say, it seems like the PS5 Slim isn’t even really that “Slim”, despite the name. However, no actual video or images have come with this description yet. Guy with the information did reveal that he has a video as well. Whether we will get to see that video or not is another discussion.
The developer (mostly making tools and utilities), who goes by @BwE_Dev on Twitter, described the PlayStation 5 Slim as being five centimeters or so shorter than the normal Playstation 5, and not much thinner. The disc drive is also less curved than the normal one, which he claims “looks weird”. Two black slits are also on each side of the case, with two USB-C ports on the front. Finally, the face buttons are embossed on the rear.

PS5 Slim Source

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Most "Slim" was not slim at all.
For example PS3 Slim and PS4 Slim.
PS3 only become Slim after the PS3 super-super slim :D

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I sincerely doubt this guy has seen the "PS5 Slim". He probably saw a revised dev kit (yes, those exist) and thinks it's a PS5 Slim.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Eh? I thought PS4 slim was pretty good from the original, myself.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
If the disc drive is attached permanently, then that would be good news

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The 5cm smaller is actually fake, many sources reported that the disc drive is attachable.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I'll just accept that old Sony PS2 Slim godlike Slim design era is gone, replaced by PS4-now Sony ugly "Slim" (but not so Slim because ugly + bigger will fit with America market) 😂.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Eh? I thought PS4 slim was pretty good from the original, myself.
PS3 Super Slim was Sony trying their hardest to emulate PS2 Slim design magic but sadly their effort didn't worked, so Sony basically said Fk it and just make super ugly Slim from that point onward 😂.