Insomniac are poised to define This Generation, and we are not ready!

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
Now before the title of this Opinion Post makes you scream "Hold Up! What about FFXVI!?"; yes, FFXVI is looking to be an absolute banger and likely the strongest recieved Final Fantasy since FFX.

But we are not here to gloat over the gorgeous visuals and gargantuan scale of that upcoming genre defining JRPG.

This is about Spiderman 2, of which we have seen little to nothing of that actually represents the product we will get.

However, do not let that early development trailer from September 2021 fool you. This will not be "more of the same". Insomniac are ambitious, and as a studio they are pioneers in the technological space.

They implemented machine learning AI in runtime before any other platfrom holder, making Spideys muscles pop with hyper realistic muscle deformation.

Insomniac also blew everyone away with their Raytracing solution, all combined with a buttery smooth 60fps performance. The technical bar was set day 1 the PS5 launched, and Insomniac utilised the PS5's hardware in a way that surprised many who were previously sold on the narrative that PS5 is not an RDNA2 machine and incapable of coming close to what Xbox will deliver where Machine Learning and RT are concerned (not going too well that narrative, is it?)

With all that said, Insomniac, though they have been largely secretive as to what they are doing with Spiderman 2, have revealed a few nuggets, and with these we can draw some pretty solid conclusions regarding just how platform defining Spiderman 2 will likely be and how elevated it will be over all previous insomniac titles.

1) Spiderman 2 is going to utilise PS5 tech in an unprecedented way.

During Insomniacs 2019 GDC technical break down of how they made Spiderman, insomniac revealed an ingenious bespoke way to compress the city of New York into incredibly low memory segments they called "tiles".

They revealed that their hero would traverse at a max speed of 32m per second. They would require 3x3 tiles loaded at any given time, given any direction the player chooses to traverse.

3 tiles would cover 138m of traversal in total, requiring each tile to be loaded in every 1.33 seconds.

With all this in mind, in addition to factoring non proprietary HDDs they also diligently catered to, Insomniac calculated that each tile would have a budget of an astonishingly small 20MB - the max throughput being 25MB/s.

So everything you see at any given time - geometry, terrain, base textures - all would be within a 20mb budget.

Now let that sink in. In 2015, they decided their memory budget was 25MB/s and they were STILL able to create 3 years later one of the most detailed and impressive open world cities to date.

Today their budget is in Gigabytes per second territory. 100s of times more bandwidth available for them to toy with. And we know Insomniac like to play!

Can we even begin to fathom what they considered as possibilities when in the conceptual stage of Spiderman 2's development? It begs for speculation. But we will soon see with our own eyes, regardless, the impact that this astronomical increase in budget has had on world scale, traversal, detail, environmental interactions, "living world" background processes and animations, character detail and animations etc. We are not ready!!!

2) Rachet and Clank Rift Apart was barely even a tech demo and sets a likely precedent.

As impressive as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was and still is, it impressed whilst being designed around unknown specifications. Insomniac didn't know the bandwidth of the ps5 or its specifications when in pre/early development of R&C, and so they designed the entire game around a safe "low tier" spec. A low-tier SSD was their baseline. The entire premise of Rift Apart however reveals clearly that Insomniac's heart is set on pushing boundaries - seeing what games can now be. They had us jumping through 5 portals to 5 different planets within 30 seconds, those 5 planets easily totalling more memory that 16gb RAM - meaning they designed the game to load at least some of the worlds between world 2 and 5 not from RAM, but to it and then the GPU during the sequence. Digital Foundry revealed the budget requirements of this segment was doable on an SSD far slower than the PS5's proprietary one.

So now, with full knowlege of what their budget actually is, it is reasonable to conclude Insomniac will be more ambitious - to a significant degree, where PS5 tech utilisation is concerned.

Spiderman 2 truly is the first game Insomniac have made around the PS5's specifications. And with all the incredibly impressive games they've already given us since their acquisition, i doubt even the sky will be their limit.

Oh and one more thing: Insomniac are keenly aware Spiderman + PSVR2 is a match made in spiderverse heaven. They KNOW. But that's for another time.

For a little more info, please see link below: its a two part thread, with vital info on both posts

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I could see it happening but my money is still on Naughty Dog. Uncharted 4 last gen just hit differently too me so I guess it's a matter of timing.

So far Insomniac games have been great technical showcases for the PS5 but they work on such a relentless release schedule that it's hard to picture them being that studios that has the time to take things to that next level.

Spider-man 2 New York should be crazy detailed if they actually had the time to make that generational jump.

Uncharted 4 did launch around the same time Spider-man 2 is expected comparatively, in fact a little earlier but this gen is also moving slower on that front.

• Surprised
Reactions: WoolleyGamer

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I'm really hoping they take their portal technology they were just starting in Ratchet and go nuts with it

Imagine you can jump spiderverses and end up in a future New York or a comic style 50s New York instantly.

Wanting this game to be really creative and not just Spiderman 1 with a fresher cost of paint

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Fantastic explanation of where Insomniac are headed with their talent unleashed by the new tech.

As a huge Wolverine fan, that is my most anticipated game right now but I love R&C and Spider-man 2018 along with MM.
My brother grew up on the PS2 R&C games and one of my sons first games was R&C on PS4....

So Insomniac hold a huge spot in my heart and I think they are one of the best developers in the world and have been underestimated for a long time.

I do believe I heard they have a 3rd project that is also a Marvel property but not sure on the veracity right now.

OP
OP
WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
Fantastic explanation of where Insomniac are headed with their talent unleashed by the new tech.

As a huge Wolverine fan, that is my most anticipated game right now but I love R&C and Spider-man 2018 along with MM.
My brother grew up on the PS2 R&C games and one of my sons first games was R&C on PS4....

So Insomniac hold a huge spot in my heart and I think they are one of the best developers in the world and have been underestimated for a long time.

I do believe I heard they have a 3rd project that is also a Marvel property but not sure on the veracity right now.
Thank you mate. Exciting times ahead

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Would be nice if they were able to make something non-Spider-Man based. Such a tired franchise. The gameplay is identical to the Xbox/PS2 games.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Would be nice if they were able to make something non-Spider-Man based. Such a tired franchise. The gameplay is identical to the Xbox/PS2 games.
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

I think there are millions of fans out there that are happy in the direction they are going in.

And Wolverine might just be up your street.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What’s different? Lol

I got a very good question for you: how did halo's gameplay change since its inception? You have the grappling hook, but that's it. It's the same game at its core. Same for GT7, same for Forza Horizon, the majority of Assassin's Creed games, etc. You can't redefine what defines a franchise. Hell, even the core gameplay loop of god of war is rooted to the same thing, which is hack and slash.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
People want Spider-man to swing on a web.... they want him to do most of the things he does in the comics and movies.

I don't see how they could go too wild with the core loop.

Anyway....
The core loop is the best part about the games. Combat and traversal are great. Story is a little bland but serviceable, it ain't no Into the Spider-verse tho.

I would love a Spider-verse game with that art-style instead of another Miles Morales this time. I just love that animation so much, what a classic, they could even make Gwen the protagonist to change things up, would sell like crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
If they actually increase the swinging speed that would be fantastic, the first game felt like playing with training wheels and a speed limiter on compared to some of the previous spidey games. I'm not holding my breath but I would like to see basic/advanced swinging options, basic being like the first game where there appeared to be a heavy amount of assisting going on as well as a slower top speed and no boosting. I used to play the absolute crap out of Spiderman 2 and Web of Shadows because they had swing mechanics with a higher skill ceiling, I really enjoyed playing Insomniac's game but found it boring to swing around after beating the game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: WoolleyGamer

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
People want Spider-man to swing on a web.... they want him to do most of the things he does in the comics and movies.

I don't see how they could go too wild with the core loop.

Anyway....
I get that. I’d just like them to make something more than Spiderman. Seems like a disservice to their talent

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
I got a very good question for you: how did halo's gameplay change since its inception? You have the grappling hook, but that's it. It's the same game at its core. Same for GT7, same for Forza Horizon, the majority of Assassin's Creed games, etc. You can't redefine what defines a franchise. Hell, even the core gameplay loop of god of war is rooted to the same thing, which is hack and slash.
Well halo sucks. But it at least is a much bigger experience. There’s SP, MP, Co-op, forge. Why not a MP mode for Spider-Man where one team is the villains, the other are spidermen? Or some type of co op. The same 15 hour single player is the same reason it’s never considered for GOTY. There’s just nothing special about it. And I beat Spider-Man 1, played MM and didn’t even finish. It’s like a 6 hour game that felt like rehashed DLC. I loved the old Spider-Man games, but the novelty has worn off. Now they’re just milking it.