Instead of a golden goose, ABK is an albatross on Xbox's neck

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Since all these 3rd party rumours started coming up I've been thinking how is it going so wrong.

It seems like the reality has set in over at Microsoft, the math isn't mathing and the purchase of Activision Blizzard has ironically put them in a spot where Xbox cannot be agile or competitive in the way Sony or Nintendo can.

The purchase of ABK brought their headcount to 21k people. Now reduced by 1.9k. 17,000 of those come from ABK and they run a operating cost of $5.4 billion every year. Add that to Xbox who were likely losing money every year, plus Bethesda who haven't had a hit since Fallout 4 and have halved their accessible userbase and are most certainly losing money and Xbox now have a $80 billion dollar deficit to account for

Suddenly those margins are looking razor thin to non existent. They made a loss last quarter and there is no guarantee future quarters will be looking any better with no COD releases or anything big on the near horizon

With higher operating costs every year for Xbox the level of risk has increased substantially, and the magnifying glass on the business gets much bigger from the rest of MS. They can't skate by anymore and not be profitable for MS, it is do or die time.

Even though ABK makes a profit they are on a shakey business model, relying mostly on one product to continually be successful. For all of Phil Spencer's bluster about Crash Bandicoot and Hexen reboots, there is simply no room for Activision to ever miss a year of COD or see a downward trend in sales

The nail in the coffin has been that Bethesda and ABK have not resulted in any hardware momentum at all, and subs have been flat for years. Nevermind their whole userbase having been trained out of buying software

Simply put you cannot sustain a headcount of ~21,000 people and release exclusives to a console that will be lucky to break 40 million and has abysmal software attach rates and then resets userbase every 5 years.

I'd hesitate to say you could do it even if you were Sony with 100 million systems sold. Which is probably why Sony hasn't actually been interested in buying a publisher. The only option for Xbox is to go multiplatform or lose everything they acquired when Satya says enough is enough

A funny side note to this is how Apple completely shattered Xboxs ambitions of a Gamepass/Store on the Apple Store in just the last week - leaving them with even less options

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
MS was definitely banking on the Apple storefront being open bringing Gamepass & Xbox games to a major platform (essentially continuing to leech of other platforms as usual) w that no longer being an option I don’t see how GP can grow substantially to the scale of there publisher acquisition which is worth 85+ billion. Starfield being a flop & the next major game by Zenimax Elder Scrolls releasing 2027/2028 maybe later & Blizzard game being cancelled, Blizzard next major game is probably Diablo 5 which is 5 to 6 years off unless MS pushed Diablo 5 faster giving Diablo 4 hasn’t had the longest leg. COD will be COD maybe it degrades if those rumor of MS using contractors for COD is very concerning the COD machine takes a lot of dev power a lot of studios & a ton of money really hard to cut COD down & design it to a “gamepass game” without degrading it & pissing off fans which can backfire like Halo

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
When you spend that kind of money the stakes are high and the rest of the company will look at Xbox expecting it to lay a golden egg or something.

They will necessarily have less leeway and this is what makes the third party rumors credible.

The worst part is that I believe that from the inside Phil had painted himself in a corner with his early strategy and given that it was failing he came up with something that fooled every MS exect into believing the guy is some visionary. So he told them he needed to be bold to beat Sony, laid down the three horizons, gamepass (service), hardware (cheap and powerful option) as well as getting the ability to purchase studios/publishers do that they can create the content themselves.

What happened?
Gamepass has stopped growing years ago, with a relatively low user base (if it had kept growing it could have been big enough to pay for everything else).

Hardware not only did the current gen sell less than the last two, sales have collapsed and most of their "next gen" consoles are about as powerful as last gen's pro consoles + sales have collapsed over the last year. More consoles meant a place to sell their games without paying the 30% cut to the platform owner and them getting the cuts from the other publishers on a bigger install base.

Software their studios have delivered laughably bad games for a long time now, especially the new ones... Where they used to only be bland and soulless, now they are mediocre. Giving us no reason to think that more studios will make things any better.

As you said, that big size put them in a situation where they don't have much time to try to turn things around... This is not like they earned it. But I think that Phil needed to do this to keep his job for so long, otherwise they would have fired him back in 2018 or so.

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
MS was definitely banking on the Apple storefront being open bringing Gamepass & Xbox games to a major platform (essentially continuing to leech of other platforms as usual) w that no longer being an option I don’t see how GP can grow substantially to the scale of there publisher acquisition which is worth 85+ billion. Starfield being a flop & the next major game by Zenimax Elder Scrolls releasing 2027/2028 maybe later & Blizzard game being cancelled, Blizzard next major game is probably Diablo 5 which is 5 to 6 years off unless MS pushed Diablo 5 faster giving Diablo 4 hasn’t had the longest leg. COD will be COD maybe it degrades if those rumor of MS using contractors for COD is very concerning the COD machine takes a lot of dev power a lot of studios & a ton of money really hard to cut COD down & design it to a “gamepass game” without degrading it & pissing off fans which can backfire like Halo
It's hilarious, they really thought they were about to funnel money out the backdoor of Apple lmao

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
I believe their original plan is to acquire big publisher like Zenimax, ABK and release all games on gamepass day one hoping it would boost xbox sales and gamepass sub.

Microsoft make Series S for a reason, it is to get PS owners to buy Xbox and locked into their ecosystem. Series X is for existing fans. At first this seems to be somewhat working thanks to PS5 shortage but once supply issue fixed, PS5 outsold both Series at rate faster than PS4 vs XOne which they probably dont expect.

Last year, Starfield which is suppose to be their biggest exclusive since Halo 3, console sales decline instead of increase. Game pass growth is near zero and missing target for 3 years now. Elder Scroll is years aways and I doubt it will have big impact on console sales, it is also on PC where it will sell the most. Only games from ABK that is bigger is COD but that one is multiplat.

Money they loss from removing title from PS5 and Switch dont make up for Xbox and Gamepass tiny gain. Just recently Microsoft said their console sales is lower than expected. Game Pass no longer growing they dont even provide latest numbers since early 2022. Cloud gaming also not ready for mass adoption with hours of waiting time. They already release all game on PC so only other option is to release on other console.

If they did release all their games on PS Nintendo I had no doubt Microsoft will become gaming powerhouse but it means end of Xbox as console.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Microsoft said they can get COD running on Nintendo platforms, I wonder if having to make a Switch 2 version of future games will strain their resources even more?

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Phil failed.He went full console war & killed the Xbox division. Phil did exactly what them idiot fanboys said to do. And killed xbox.In a year or 2 everything will be re-branded to Microsoft gaming.

This man's plan was to out spend Sony , buy everything up. When his division was failing and loosing money for 20 years.This 80billion is more pressure than releasing a game. This the biggest tech buy ever. This wasn't gonna be ignored by senior ups. They are in charge Xbox is no more.Phil will no longer be speaking.

When you start showing the numbers 21,000. And doing simple logical math. It's not looking good bruv. People told us PS guys we are not educated accountants, Microsoft crunched the numbers they know better. Sure.Men lie ,women lie, Numbers don't. The numbers don't add up ,they don't add up.

Just another case of when trying to "beat" Sony goes wrong.Instead of concentrating on putting out good product.They wanted to just monetize gaming. Priority all backwards. A company in gaming ,not a gaming company that's the difference between PS and Xbox.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think when 80 billion gets spent on acquisitions, investors start sniffing around and making demands in order to maximize profits, i.e. a more multiplatform strategy.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't necessarily agree with all of your math but my conclusion is the same. I'd put it like this-

More so than any of its big peers, Activision-Blizzard was lazer focused on being in the markets it wanted and doing the things it wanted. For Activision it meant yearly CoD, CoD Warzone and CoD mobile (also Warzone.) There's years where you literally only get CoD from them. King does GaaS-style mobile games. Blizzard does GaaS-style PC games that also get ported to the other two ecosystems. All three are hyper-focused on recurrent monetization through loot-box type payments with "legacy" stuff like WoW or yearly CoD allowed to continue existing only as long as they remain profitable. The entire company has been molded into best serving this payment system.

Microsoft's payment system plans are totally different. They want you to pay a monthly subscription fee to access the content, not a "when you want a thing" gambling game fee. Restricting or pushing the MS payment system necessarily means cutting back on or working against the A-B payment system (where you get the game for free or cheap if you wait a few months after release, and then pay into it over time) and makes it harder for those games to generate the revenue they used to. Especially CoD, which I assume is going to focus more on getting people to play the game on Gamepass than on getting people to buy loot boxes. Also does away with Battlepass revenue since I assume GP will cover that too? And just as an aside, console CoD is where a lot of the cuts seem to have come from, aside from that one Blizzard survival team being entirely chopped and F76 and physical games draw-downs.

The merger immediately makes MS a player on both mobile and PC, but with a monetization system counter to the one they want. Its going to be a long and dangerous path to merging Battle.net into PC Gamepass (the community will hate it) and creating a new GP on phones. So while they are a player, its equally likely that they play themselves out of the market, piss off and drive off the creatives and never even launch a mobile GP hub due to rank incompetence.

As to how it all relates to Xbox... it doesn't. CoD is going to be multiplat for a decade, non-CoD console games just don't get made anymore and the other parts of the company don't focus on consoles. Xbox likely goes away after this generation (or, if it does stick around, but with games also launching on PS6, then nobody buys one and it ends up like the PC-FX.) Subscription to Gamepass has been the make or break for Microsoft for awhile and in the console-space this doesn't move the needle any and thus I can only conclude that the deal ended up being largely irrelevant to consoles.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I think when 80 billion gets spent on acquisitions, investors start sniffing around and making demands in order to maximize profits, i.e. a more multiplatform strategy.

We should start asking ourselves what happens once not even going multiplatform brings the profit they expect. Current Xbox portfolio was never desirable, hardware and software sales prove it. CoD is on a decline, both in quality and in terms of sales. They really have to hope Candy Crash & co. continues to make them money.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not only that but the Activision case was their most high-profile acquisition. The CEO Nadella had to go to court, they had to explain publicly their goals, everything leaked about that failing division. They looked like clowns with all the regulators worldwide.

I would call Phil in my office after all that circus and ask him is it really worth it just so you can stick it to Sony?

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Eh price is not a problem, those mf has operating profit of 60B a year.

The problem is the operating costs, that is like a ticking bombs. Once COD lose its relevancy, that bomb gonna blow off.

people just think, you spend more money, earn more money. That is not how life works, albeit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I called it years ago when MS bougth Bethesda that they were going third party and giving upon hardware, buying ABK just made it more clear.

Xbox is way to small to sustain Xbox Studios at their current size and Xbox PC, mobile and cloud business are even more pathetic.

Took them 25 years to figure out they were just a far worse version of Sega with more money to burn. Managing all these devs is going to be a nigthmare for MS, a lot of turmoil ahead.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Alot of good points here. I just don’t trust Microsoft. They are an extremely scummy company and now have a sunk cost fallacy to prop up the failing Xbox division.

If Phil Spencer left maybe I’d be inclined to think the investors want their money but until see that, I just think it’s going to continue business as usual.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Activision and Blizzard also seemed to already be trending in an awful direction even before MS acquired them.

Blizzard has nothing left, they can't make WoW 2, all their other IPs are at a dead end and now we found out their new IP game was canceled.

Activision only makes CoD and already cashed out all their chips, F2P, Battleroyale, Mobile, Modern Warfare 1 and 2. What else is left?

I think day 1 in GP is the major issue. COD sold poorly but it still sold to almost have xbox reach PS in revenue. The fuck they will do this year when every mouth breething xbot is expecting it for 15 bucks in october?
Day one Gamepass makes it the main meal and not just something you buy on the side, Sony was wise not to follow them on that path. Phil Spencer really fucked them with that desperate move.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters