Internet required to pair disc drive with new PS5

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Holy cow man. If you can't explain your point succinctly I would urge you to rethink your stance.

And you are not really understanding here. I am not arguing the merits of physical vs. digital. I am merely explaining the reality of what's going to happen. It doesn't matter if you don't like it, or I don't like it or what. There are many things happening in the game industry I "don't like," but I do accept them, because the world doesn't revolve around me or what I would like to see.

The same is true for people who like physical media for console games. Sorry, it's just facts. I'm not saying anyone has to like it.
The post addresses the question of "reality" and "facts" in the context of a future that has yet to be realized. That's one of the many reasons it's long. It's a critique of both your cheap unoriginal argument - the essence of which is - "swim with the current" as well as the larger push overall for an all-digital future by particular efforts of some corps and how consumers are co-opted and thus we arrive to the "inevitability", "reality' and "facts" of the matter. You comment on the topic with certainty like it's certified to play out exactly as you envisioned and rationalized - despite the vagueness of the promise (it will happen sometime, look at the patterns, swim with the current, not against it - easy caricature of cheap thought). There are many versions of this "future', some more likely than others. The wall of text addresses that and more all-in-one, as opposed to picking out all the posts in this thread and batting them one by one. And it's not necessarily just addressed to you to apply to you personally but obviously to others who are digital future proponents with different rationale's and motivations for being pro-digital - it's a big tent. That is to say, not everything will apply to you, and that is intentional, and you shouldn't believe everything is meant to apply to you if it in fact does not. Only that which applies to you respond to, if you so wish, that's it. Throwing words like "cling" to paint the opposing side of the argument as irrational, outdated, contrarian of natural progress and all the potential negative connotations that word gives off is not the best way to faithfully argue, and you replied to me originally if I'm not mistaken. I think I made that politely clear. Words matter, and they can be turned around with the same powerful effect to argue for the sake of arguing.

You believe the all-digital future for consoles is inevitable - claps for that original thought, I'm sure I or anyone else couldn't have come up with that. For that matter, that same rationale applies to another "inevitable" future...the infant "cloud-future" - same pitch, same corps behind the push, same rationale. The response is not to say that it won't necessarily play out like that in the end (whichever undefined date that may be) but that there are also other alternative "futures", some where the speed of this change comes faster as opposed to others which take longer, or a compromise of both where both mediums of license delivery continue to exist side-by-side even if one is dominant market-share wise over the other. The suggestion to "accept" this supposed future, whose only true defined outcome is that it will be all-digital comes with a built-in suggestion to give up on physical media consumption because it's a "hopeless cause" - and anyone bitching about corps pushing all-digital consoles and the like should just accept "reality" and take their pitchforks home. Even if that is not necessarily what you meant - in the context it comes off that way, and will be interpreted that way by many readers. Needless to say, that should not be encouraged, from my pov, and imo, not necessarily correct either.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yeah I remember the 360 being nodded by doing something with disk drive
originally you had to just flash the drive and get the key from it beforehand.
Then You had to mod the nand.
And with jasper, you had to flash the drive and have a specia lite-on writer with custom firmware to burn games.
It was so fkn cool connecting drive 360 to pc, while having it powered from xbox power and updating the drive.

I've not pirated a game since then haha. 600 steam games, full shelf of ps games and I even bougth all the 360 games I pirated back in the day as a kid :p

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
originally you had to just flash the drive and get the key from it beforehand.
Then You had to mod the nand.
And with jasper, you had to flash the drive and have a specia lite-on writer with custom firmware to burn games.
It was so fkn cool connecting drive 360 to pc, while having it powered from xbox power and updating the drive.

I've not pirated a game since then haha. 600 steam games, full shelf of ps games and I even bougth all the 360 games I pirated back in the day as a kid :p
Mine wasn't modded it was an elite model so would've needed a JTAG. I remember my uncles launch model was though, couldn't go online on it

Reactions: rofif

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
I don't cling to physical - that suggest hopeless aberration. I consume games using physical media and prefer them due to the many benefits it provides me as a consumer of licensed games - specially true when I was young and engaged in the practice of trading games, or reselling my old unwanted games, and thus retaining some value, or even my later in life hobby of collecting, which I gave up. All of that revolves around physical formats, and it still does for the many million of consumers who still enjoy and buy games in a physical format and engage in all those practices - it's a cultural aspect of console gaming.

The terminology and framing of the argument using the word cling is used to support the narrative that physical is dying, will die and thus the proponents of physical formats should accept the inevitable future, and do so now, as opposed to late. And this specially applies when fanboys of any platform want to fend off potential attacks against whatever plastic box they prefer, and the corporation behind it. The urge is to defend from perceived negative criticism of policies that further enhance the push toward an all-digital future, which appear or are in fact inorganic in nature, and more like nudges by the corps towards that direction. The Xbox fanboys have been doing it for ages, the PC fanboys did as well, and bat for Valve and Steam like crazy, and the Sony fanboys do so to, cause as long as humans are involved in the equation, the same psychological behaviors will apply. It should not surprise that all of this usually lines up with particular corporate interests, and the framing inserted by these companies into the commentariat through media, marketing and policy decisions in the engineering process of the products etc, etc. The bottomline wins in the end - by hook or crook, funny that. Nintendo is not in the spotlight because Nintendo does not push an all-digital console. Clear as day the true core and issue of the matter.

When it comes to consoles I have made strong arguments before as to why consoles thrive with physical format and it's one of the main defenses Sony and Nintendo have in making sure giants all-in on the digital "future" like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Steam or Facebook don't overtake them and steal the hundreds of millions of loyal consumers that they have - it's the cultural gaming aspect revolving around the concept of ownership. MS has tried to completely erase that cultural advantage of its rivals through its many attempts to shape the market in an all-digital direction with Xbox, some strategies more successful than others - PC already being conquered. The less successful MS strategies in this push we all know about.... which allowed Sony during the lead-up and launch of the PS4 to exploit it to an immense degree and PROFIT from it, MS went from Xbox's 360 momentum™ with EA's strategic partnership to an idiotic out-of-touch dictatorial bum overnight - losing the generation soundly.

To see the fanboy chorus of: "Just accept the inevitable future", as the Xbox fanboys were chanting back then and still do so today, but this time from Sony fanboys is the ultimate coup. But that is the plague of fanboism, it's irrational in nature, and against self-interests in nature as well in many ways.

Obviously there are those individuals who prefer digital and don't care at all about ownership of a gaming license that can be traded or otherwise, or those who rather rationalize on a forum the argument of the impending death of physical formats and fold like a thin piece of paper to their corporate mandated future. Whatever the case of those in the digital future camp - feel free to be happy about how you feel. Those who prefer physical formats and its inclusion on the consoles, who still vouch for its benefits etc, the cultural aspect of it all have a right to their voice like anyone else, for as long as they can have it and they don't have to compromise their views just cause the all-digital camp sees it their way. The chips will fall where they may.

As long as physical hardware exists as a means to deliver and process games, so can there be the option and a market for physical formats, like discs, sd memory cards, or whatever shape or form they take in the future. The inclusion or exclusion of such being completely a business appraisal of the corporation in question with the product in question. The push by Xbox and MS is completely inorganic, and they're phasing out physical with their Xbox revision, even willing to leave million of potential consumers from the addressable market OUT as long as they can impose, in a dictatorial fashion, the operating and distribution standard going forward. If Sony tomorrow went along with Microsoft's plan step by step would anyone call the all-digital future organic? Or would it be called what it really is, an inorganic push by the corps to fatten their bottomline, abusing their market position and leverage.

The line of thinking that the all-digital future proponents often spouse, from those that do not care, or those that display defeatism to mask their abhorrent fanaticism with a particular brand are not too far off from folding like cards when the all-cloud future, no physical console hardware "inevitable future" push comes knocking - the push is already immense and billions are being thrown to the dust bin of wasteful corporate spending to turn something inorganic to something that "feels" and gives the impression that is "organic" and how it "was meant to be". The cloud push is, and will continue to be presented the same way the all-digital future is... marketed the same way, the insidious propaganda pushed unconsciously to the sheep the same way and thus the inevitability of it will become real, not because it was inevitable, but because the sheep were easily guided by corps to that end-point, and the sheep allowed it. Same rationale and sales pitches: "It's more convenient" "You don't have to own the physical hardware" "It's easy to do" "it will be "cheaper"" etc etc... like lambs to the slaughter.

Man, this isn't a youtube video, you don't have to make each post 10+ minutes to read. 😅

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Once thing that for sure is the production line got changed. We wented from paired out of the box to needing Internet to pair

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
No, I live in a cabin far out in the woods and my mom prints me the threads I request every day (sometimes a couple of times a day actually)... Then I write down my replies and she comes here to type them.
This is great

Attachments

• IMG_1501_Original.jpeg
    IMG_1501_Original.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3