Is crunch in gaming acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It depends on how long. Crunch is normal for production studios but the crunch that my friend had to endure at ND was horrendous and the reason people always leave after a new release. He was 16hr days for 1 yr. Morale was horrible.
That's too much. My experience is that you start to lose your mind after 12 hours.
I might take this crunch if the company provides extended days off every 2 weeks or so. Otherwise, this is too much for his health.

Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 140

Just make me a good game

I'd also like to get good games only 😻

But don't believe it's that simple!

An entertainment product should not be more important than the individual people involved. The people who have their own struggles in this increasingly harsh world should not have to endure an oppressive work place, being scared and pressured into working obscene amounts of hours.

If there is a positive, supportive and compassionate work environment that motivates people to work more, that's perfectly fine I think! Abuse of power shouldn't be ok, and I think most companies understand that treating your employees well will pay off, especially when good developers can chose where to work.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
I'd also like to get good games only 😻

But don't believe it's that simple!

An entertainment product should not be more important than the individual people involved. The people who have their own struggles in this increasingly harsh world should not have to endure an oppressive work place, being scared and pressured into working obscene amounts of hours.

If there is a positive, supportive and compassionate work environment that motivates people to work more, that's perfectly fine I think! Abuse of power shouldn't be ok, and I think most companies understand that treating your employees well will pay off, especially when good developers can chose where to work.
If some backs got to get whipped to get me another game as good as Elden Ring than them's the brakes!

D

Deleted member 13

If some backs got to get whipped to get me another game as good as Elden Ring than them's the brakes!
I don't even think ER had a crunch mode since it was in development for like 7 years.

Crunch can be OK if it's quick and fleeting. Otherwise, if you have tons of work to do - then like in the iDsoftware era - "It's done when it's done" will have to be the law of the land.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Crunch isn't. Long development times are fine, but not when paired with "Sony secrecy".

But I want real dev diaires and such keeping me informed about a game. You can tell me "we've turned the game around and starting over step one", objectively bad news. My first question would be "OK, why?" "well this wasn't working, this is how we're going to rethink this game. Leftover elements may be refined and revisited in sequels or other series".

Sony should refine its in your face unused cards system, and make better use of the media content that gets pushed to PS5 when you "follow" a game.
Someone tell me why this idea isnt feasable. Wouldn't it by default take traffic from social media, whom are then going to generate articles regardless?

D

Deleted member 13

Someone tell me why this idea isnt feasable. Wouldn't it by default take traffic from social media, whom are then going to generate articles regardless?
It is feasible. I don't like why Sony is so secretive about their products where too much time has gone by with nothing to show. I hated that they did this with this new generation. It was very aggrevating.

Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.