Is crunch in gaming acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have been involved in may discussions throughout the years around the crunch culture some studios, if not the vast majority, deploy when closer to the release of a new game. Crunch seems to be so ingrained in developers heads that I've even seen devs defending working 12 to 16 hours per day, for multiple days, without as much as a day off.

Game_Dev_Story_SOCIAL.jpg

In my personal opinion, crunch is not acceptable in any kind of job, notwithstanding the massive amount of work that may need to be put in something before release. I will, however, back my opinion with the following:
  • Crunch only occurs due to lack of project management and / or leadership expectations not being aligned with realistic timelines;
  • Inept management will often under staff and over promise timelines, and Developers are the ones that pay for such poor decisions;
  • it has been proven that humans are less productive the more hours they work, and the absurd of hours being put by some devs can lead (and do lead) to burnout;
  • People that are burnt out or extremely tired are more prone to making more mistakes, which can cause delays or frustration down the line;
  • Eventually, those that end up paying for managements poor decisions are the developers: They do the best they can, mistakes are made and issues introduced, game releases to less than glowing reviews, and developers are blamed for such issues.
What should the gaming industry strive for? Well, pretty simple: Either hire more people to meet your deadlines, which will cause some efficiency loss due to higher headcount for management to deal with and distribute tasks accordingly, or adjust your timeframes so that they are realistic and devs can meet them.

Please note that I'm adding developers, artists, testers, etc, all under the "devs" bucket. It's just easier to type and makes everything cleaner.

What is your opinion on crunch?

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I really don't see how it should be our concern, do we care if there was crunch on MS when developing Office or if there was crunch in the last Youtube update? When is it that the costumer ever gets involved in union disputes? No one has time to do that for everything they buy.

Reactions: Katajx and Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think it's a question of: Do they have many gaps where they literally have nothing to work on and still get paid? If the answer is yes then crunch is acceptable.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Every job has crunch, shit has to get done and sometimes there's just not enough time. I hate the whining in this industry.

Not all jobs have crunch. My job had crunch until we got decent leadership, and now we work our scheduled hours and more gets done. Cruch is a reflection of people that barely put on any work making decisions and those that actually put on work suffer the consequences. When you have proper leaders, you get proper work done in appropriate timelines and no crunch.

Crunch happens everywhere. Why gaming developers feel entitled to not have to crunch? Idk

There's plenty of people that are against crunch culture, not just gaming developers. And people are not entitled to their own time, it's theirs. If you sign a contract for 40h per week, it should be 40, not 40+ how many hours someone decides they need off you.

I really don't see how it should be our concern, do we care if there was crunch on MS when developing Office or if there was crunch in the last Youtube update? When is it that the costumer ever gets involved in union disputes? No one has time to do that for everything they buy.

Why shouldn't it? Aren't most adult people workers? Worker's rights are a thing that should concern all.

Crunch is always going to happen but it should be kept to a minimum. If they're working 16 hour plus days for months on end then the project managers are seriously screwing up.

I disagree it should be kept to a minimum. It shouldn't happen, even though I think it will always happen, like you said.
I think it's a question of: Do they have many gaps where they literally have nothing to work on and still get paid? If the answer is yes then crunch is acceptable.

Not the workers problem. if I'm not assigned tasks, I'm still available and ready to put on work, even though I have no work to do. Proper management knows how to distribute tasks for people to be at maximum efficiency. So both in crunch environments and non-productive environments, management is to blame (and I refer to upper management).

Ultimately it’s all voluntary.

Having a work may seem voluntary, but isn't. Unless you consider the trade-off between no job and not being able to pay your bills and feed yourself to be voluntary.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I hope people who work overtime in factories or farming could have this clout when they're complaining about crunching. As someone else already mentioned above, what's with the entitlement?

Do you even care a poor factory worker somewhere in China crunched to make your laptop, console or video card?

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I hope people who crunch in factories or farming could have this clout when they're complaining about crunching. As someone else already mentioned above, what's with the entitlement?

Do you even care a poor factory worker somewhere in China crunched to make your laptop, console or video card?

If you're asking me that question, I do. I still take on action on other sectors and help friends that have been crunching for years on end for pretty major companies (not in the gaming business).

And coming from someone that has crunched in both tech (office job) and sports media (demanding physical work for 8 to 17h sometimes, 80h weeks were common) I'm not sure what is worse. One drains you physically, but you're kind of ok mentally. The other one drains you mentally, and I've had a couple of burnouts. Not fun stuff.

• thisistheway

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
If you're asking me that question, I do. I still take on action on other sectors and help friends that have been crunching for years on end for pretty major companies (not in the gaming business).
No, I wasn't asking you, it was rhetorical. Not one employer out there cares about you, the worker, doing the crunch. If you don't like it or can't take it, they'll find another poor guy to take your place.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Crunch is good if the money is good.

Crunch is kind of ok if a) money is good and b) is completely optional. Sometimes you get both, which could be a win for some, sometimes you just get one, which is shit, and sometimes you get none, which is downright abusive.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, I wasn't asking you, it was rhetorical. Not one employer out there cares about you, the worker, doing the crunch. If you don't like it or can't take it, they'll find another poor guy to take your place.

And since there are many sheep that like to bend the knee, companies will keep on doing it.

• brain

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Crunch is kind of ok if a) money is good and b) is completely optional. Sometimes you get both, which could be a win for some, sometimes you just get one, which is shit, and sometimes you get none, which is downright abusive.
I agree if you are forced to do anything is never good. But if its optional and you get paid for it. Its a win

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It’s crunch time at work for me now for the last 3 months. Guess what happens to those that complain?

THEY GET LAID OFF.

This is precisely why I'm against crunch. It's like "we know we agreed a contract with you, now you work more and shut the hell up or you'll be fired".

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Rea and Bo_Hazem

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is precisely why I'm against crunch. It's like "we know we agreed a contract with you, now you work more and shut the hell up or you'll be fired".

Work is slowing down. Massive recession incoming. You want to spend 4-7 months on the bench? Nah, you get shit done instead. This is when you find out who can cut it too.

You can be a against crunch all you like but it’s part of the job. Like I hate it but I need the money brought in from a paycheck over a unemployment handout.

At some point things actually need to get finished. Games have it even harder tho don’t they.. because they need to actually generate revenue.

Delay a game. Do what you got to do to make the best work environment and best games. Hard work is part of it, always has been. I’m not gonna sit here and shame a company or team for having difficulties and stress.

It happens. There are of course extents in which treatment can be considered inhumane. Pretty much as long as they’re not working for free…

Status
Not open for further replies.