Is this a Hot Take? I don't think any of the Resident Evil remakes surpass the originals

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I am currently trying to platinum most of the Resident Evil games I own since the beginning of this year
I have already platinumed RE5 and RE6 on PS3 back in 2009 and 2012 so I have not touched those but plan on getting the platinum on RE6 on PS4.
I got all the Trophies in RE4 PS3 and PS4 years ago.
I only have three trophies left in Resident Evil 1 remaster (The die for the for the first time, the CQC, and of course the Platinum Trophies.)
I have only 8 trophies left to get in Resident Evil 0
I only have 1 DLC trophy left to get in RE7 and 3 trophies left in the main game
I only have 2 trophies left in RE2 Remake, the photo hint trophy and the Platinum (I got all the ghost survivor and Jill note trophies.)
I got the platinum on RE3 remake and RE4 remake at the beginning of this month on PS4.
here is my journey so far (Yes I named my PSN profile after RE5 because in 2008 that was my most anticipated game on PS3): https://psnprofiles.com/HelloRE5

Now with me going thru all the Resident Evil games like this the past two month I realized something, I don't think any of the remakes surpass the originals or even match them.
Yes that includes RE1 remake as well despite how blasphemy that sounds.

Replaying and replaying RE1 remake to get the hard mode trophy, the real survivors trophy, the invisible enemy trophy, the rescue rebecca and jill trophy, the rescue barry and chris trophy, the every man for himself trophy, and the every women for herself trophy made me realize that the voice acting in the RE1 remake seems to try hard to be serious.
The original RE1's voice acting maybe considered some of the worst ever but I feel it kinda falls into the category of "so bad it's good" voice acting
The original seems more legendary in terms of pop culture and Barry doesn't come off as malicious in the original

With RE2 remake they botched the Lore with both Claire and Leon seeing Birkin and Annette die.
RE3 Remake cu so much content
Now RE4 Remake is great but man I do not like the new Ashley system of Close/Tight. Having her wait and follow in the original feel more natural to me
Also the reticule bloom in RE4 remake seems harsher than RE7/RE2/RE3/RE8. I have a much easier time nailing headshots in those games then I do with RE4 Remake.
I also feel the Del Lago boss feels more like a mini game now than an actual boss fight.
Same with the Mine cart section forcing you to only use Luis's red 9 instead of it being an actual set piece

Out of all the remakes I think RE3 Remake is my favorite because it being so short makes if have the least amount of things to botch and Jill and Carlos got some awesome glow ups. Jill's Dodge mechanic also feels great
Is this a hot take?

Reactions: Kokoloko

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
RE1 remake definitely does for me and maybe RE4.

2 and 3 remakes are good games but the originals are better for me. RE2 especially, with how the remake handled the scenarios and Claire's character is just shit in the remake. Not to mention removed enemies and areas. RE3 remake needs no explanation. It's nowhere near as good as the original.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Welp they played exactly the same. I don't see they make any advancement except for stun and kick system which is doable on RE2.

What is the different between RE4 and RE3 or RE2. Hell take first person away, BH7 and BH7 played the same as RE4&3&2

For the record, BH1 vastly different from BH2&BH3, BH0 and Code Veronica is also very different. RE4 is unique compared to other fixed camera games.

Reactions: Diah
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
RE4 in VR definitely does. It's a whole nother level.
I have a PSVR 2 and played a little of RE4 remake but do not feel like playing RE4 Remake anymore. I got almost all the trophies on PS4 and PS5 last year on a different PSN account, I'm just missing 1 on PS5 and 2 on PS4 but I got the platinum on PS4 on my main account like 8 days ago and I just feel done with RE4 remake right now.
RE4 on Oculus Quest was amazing but I will one day play thru RE4 remake on PSVR 2.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have a PSVR 2 and played a little of RE4 remake but do not feel like playing RE4 Remake anymore. I got almost all the trophies on PS4 and PS5 last year on a different PSN account, I'm just missing 1 on PS5 and 2 on PS4 but I got the platinum on PS4 on my main account like 8 days ago and I just feel done with RE4 remake right now.
RE4 on Oculus Quest was amazing but I will one day play thru RE4 remake on PSVR 2.
Played the whole game like tht and loved every bit of it.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Welp they played exactly the same. I don't see they make any advancement except for stun and kick system which is doable on RE2.

What is the different between RE4 and RE3 or RE2. Hell take first person away, BH7 and BH7 played the same as RE4&3&2

For the record, BH1 vastly different from BH2&BH3, BH0 and Code Veronica is also very different. RE4 is unique compared to other fixed camera games.
If you try getting all the trophies in these Resident Evil games I think you would have a quite a different opinion on that.
RE7 feels quite different from RE8 especially the DLC's.
Also RE4 has some of the most unforgiving Reticule bloom I've played in a game for quite some time. I swear RE2 and RE3 remake's are easier to aim in.
Also Del Lago and the Mine Cart section are quite different in the remake as well.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I hated the original RE4, I never understood the praise.

The orinal RE games were some of my favorite ever yet I still loved the GameCube remake and RE2 remake was different but about just as good.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not a hot take IMO. Remakes are rarely better than the originals IMO. Almost never in fact. For a whole bunch of reasons.

Reactions: Kokoloko

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
For me, REmake on Gamecube surpasses the original PlayStation One game. REmake2 surpasses the original PlayStation game because in my eyes, it's what a true remake should be. REmake3 is great but I never played Nemesis for more than maybe an hour if that so I have nothing to compare it to. As for REmake4, it's the only one in which I prefer the original PlayStation 2 port of the game. They took out a few things which pissed me off especially the statue chase sequence and a few other things. Just wasn't into it like I was REmake2.

I dropped RE 5 halfway through and I will skip the remake if they're developing it. No interest in RE 6 whatsoever. The only remake I want is Code Veronica. I completed the first disc on Dreamcast but never completed the second disc but it was in my opinion the true sequel to Resident Evil 2.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You're talking out of nostalgia, the gameplay and animation of the original games was hot garbage and has been highly improved. Visuals, sound design (sound effects, not the music) has been highly proved too.

If you already played the original ones you lose the surprise factor of the story and settings, and may not like some changes or miss stuff from the older ones. But other than that, the remade games are way better than the original ones.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
If you try getting all the trophies in these Resident Evil games I think you would have a quite a different opinion on that.
RE7 feels quite different from RE8 especially the DLC's.
Also RE4 has some of the most unforgiving Reticule bloom I've played in a game for quite some time. I swear RE2 and RE3 remake's are easier to aim in.
Also Del Lago and the Mine Cart section are quite different in the remake as well.
I got plat for BH7, RE2 and RE3. Now I kinda don't have time

But I am talking about how remakes all feel to um samey to each other.

RE4 and RE2/RE3 played exactly the same, even similar to BH7 and Village.

Personally I hope BH IX or whatever will play a bit different, but they probably are bringing back a drugged up Jill so ehh about that.

Also RE5 should just be a singleplayer game rather than coop bs like original.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Also the MP9 in RE4 is severely nerfed because of the stupid bloom system, never understood that design choice.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Don't you shit on the movie Dune!

Just kidding, I agree.
I haven't seen the new Dune, but I do have it on disc and want to watch it soon. :)

I know you were kidding, but I'd file that under a different category than a game remake. Just an updated interpretation on a book.

And the movies are almost never as good as the book! :p

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I haven't seen the new Dune, but I do have it on disc and want to watch it soon. :)

I know you were kidding, but I'd file that under a different category than a game remake. Just an updated interpretation on a book.

And the movies are almost never as good as the book! :p
You have to fit a 700+ pages of script into a three-hours movie. So of course it should never be.

Reactions: Dr Bass

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
This might be blasphemy but I never played the orginals only the Remakes, I think both games can be considered good in their own unique ways

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
You're talking out of nostalgia, the gameplay and animation of the original games was hot garbage and has been highly improved. Visuals, sound design (sound effects, not the music) has been highly proved too.

If you already played the original ones you lose the surprise factor of the story and settings, and may not like some changes or miss stuff from the older ones. But other than that, the remade games are way better than the original ones.
I see this take a lot and I don't know.
It wasn't that long ago I replayed thru the OG RE2, RE1, and RE3
Also the Original RE4's animations still hold up very well to this day, heck at least Leon in the original knows how to swim unlike RE4 remake Leon
Heck RE4 remake even phone's in some scenes like when you get to Salazar before the lift. All you see is Salazar clapping and talking down to you and Leon doesn't even react or have some witty comeback when the cut scene is over.
I not expecting Leon to throw his knife at Salazar's hand again in the remake but what was that scene and the El Gigante reveal scene was way toned down from the original.
Also there were way less boss transformation scenes in the remake as well.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I see this take a lot and I don't know.
It wasn't that long ago I replayed thru the OG RE2, RE1, and RE3
Also the Original RE4's animations still hold up very well to this day, heck at least Leon in the original knows how to swim unlike RE4 remake Leon
Heck RE4 remake even phone's in some scenes like when you get to Salazar before the lift. All you see is Salazar clapping and talking down to you and Leon doesn't even react or have some witty comeback when the cut scene is over.
I not expecting Leon to throw his knife at Salazar's hand again in the remake but who was that scene and the El Gigante scene way toned down from the original.
Also there were way less boss transformation scenes in the remake as well.
BH4 Leon is better, his attitude is kinda funny.
RE4 Leon is just tooo serious, I don't like it personally

Same for Ashley, in the original she is one of those travelling collage brat who is annoying but later realize she could not do shit without Leon, basically one of those character from 80s Western horror movie.

In RE4, she is just the president daughter who just follow through every orders. Meh, that is boring.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
RE4 in VR definitely does. It's a whole nother level.
Whats it like as it was designed for non VR?
RE8 was first person so it feels like a natural port to me.

RE4 VR (not remake) on the VR i tried awhile back felt like crud and confusing.

Should i play RE4 remake on VR or try the normal way?