Is this a Hot Take? I don't think any of the Resident Evil remakes surpass the originals

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
RE1 remake was the best and better than the original.

RE2 remake started great and then I was dissapointed. Cut alot of sections off the police station and lab, sewers etc. Also bring in Mr X stalking you was a huge dud for me, it turned me off the game so fast.
It was good but the original was alot better.

RE3 remake had too much cut out hut the original was my least favourite of the trilogy and I actually enjoyed the remake.

Havent played RE4 remake but it looks better

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
RE1 remake was the best and better than the original.

RE2 remake started great and then I was dissapointed. Cut alot of sections off the police station and lab, sewers etc. Also bring in Mr X stalking you was a huge dud for me, it turned me off the game so fast.
It was good but the original was alot better.

RE3 remake had too much cut out hut the original was my least favourite of the trilogy and I actually enjoyed the remake.

Havent played RE4 remake but it looks better
Actually Mr X stalking is a more interesting part of RE2, make me kinda excited to see how can they improved Nemesis in RE3.

We all knew how that turned out so yea....

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Actually Mr X stalking is a more interesting part of RE2, make me kinda excited to see how can they improved Nemesis in RE3.

We all knew how that turned out so yea....
I hated it. Before that I was really enjoying the game apart from the missing parts in the police station it would of been perfect.

I would of preferred if they kept him for scenerio B like the original. Really put me off. They made him out to be the main bad guy when its meant to be William, I know thats nitpicking but the stalker thing, I just did not enjoy. I restarted the game loads just to play the first hour over and over lol

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
100% agree.

The closest one was REmake 1 but the atmosphere, tension, music, characters (they killed Barry character in REmake), FMV of the first game is still unmatched.

REmake 2 is great but lacks a lot of what made RE2 maybe the best RE.
REmake 3 was rushed and basically a scrap of original RE3… it had years of development to become a game worth of original.

REmake 4 I did not play but RE4 was so boring that I could not pass the the initial cabin part… give up.

Reactions: RE4-Station
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
100% agree.

The closest one was REmake 1 but the atmosphere, tension, music, characters (they killed Barry character in REmake), FMV of the first game is still unmatched.

REmake 3 was rushed and basically a scrap of original RE3… it had years of development to become a game worth of original.

REmake 4 I did not play but RE4 was so boring that I could not pass the the initial cabin part… give up.
No way. a Resident Evil opinion you and me both agree on.... besides that last part!
We must celebrate!

resident evil pizza GIF

Also do you plan on playing RE4 remake down the line? I just platinum the PS4 version and am currently trying to platinum RE0 and then RE2 remake.
I have a PSVR 2 now but literally do not feel like playing RE4 remake in VR after all the headaches the remake version gave me on PS4.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I could never enjoy tank controls in this day and age so I beg to differ.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You're talking out of nostalgia, the gameplay and animation of the original games was hot garbage and has been highly improved. Visuals, sound design (sound effects, not the music) has been highly proved too.

If you already played the original ones you lose the surprise factor of the story and settings, and may not like some changes or miss stuff from the older ones. But other than that, the remade games are way better than the original ones.

Well most older games are gonna have worse visual and animations lol.

But does it invoke the same feeling or better as those games? Its not always nostalgia.
RE1 did for sure and even more so. RE2 Remake was doing it for me till Mr X came and alot of areas/content was cut out. RE3 I enjoyed probably more than the original, just wish it didnt cut so much content.

Heres some games I prefer over the originals

Resident Evil 1 Remake
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
Ratchet and Clank 2016
Yakuza Kiwami 1+2
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Ape Escape
Metroid Zero mission ( Its close)

Some Remakes I enjoyed just as much or pretty close

Crash Trilogy
Spyro ( Close but this time the nostalgia kicked in)
RE3 (Close)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake ( Awesome remake, not the same of course )
Demons Souls (Music not as good)
Crisis Core
Persona 3

Havent tried RE4 yet or COD MW1-2, TLOU or Dead Space

Not so good:
MGS Twin Snakes

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
100% agree.

You can save Barry in the remake. I believe and he can die in the original if my memory is right.
Agreed
RE3 was a missed opportunity with the missing content otherwise it would be fantastic

D

Deleted member 223

It's not just a hot take it's a Super Sizzling Simmering HOT take. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

The RE Remakes are the best representation and telling of the franchise ever. The gameplay is miles better, feels better, more intuitive, flows better.... the structure of the games are significantly better, cinematics are better, actors perform their roles better, the attention to detail is better and I can go on and on. Just the controls alone.... ohh the horrible old controls - there is absolutely no nostalgia for those god damn controls or the god awful camera's.

I personally can't wait to see RE5 being completely demolished and re-imagined using the well laid formula of the Remakes. Those controls and camera - puke inducing.

It's very clear TLOU helped served as inspiration for how to do proper over the shoulder TPS which one could say, on a limb, that it's in itself an exquisite refinement of R6/R4 which were, to say the least, very rough and flawed drafts.

I think whatever nostalgia folks are gulping on has been tampered with hallucinating mushrooms. Check the provider.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No way. a Resident Evil opinion you and me both agree on.... besides that last part!
We must celebrate!

resident evil pizza GIF

Also do you plan on playing RE4 remake down the line? I just platinum the PS4 version and am currently trying to platinum RE0 and then RE2 remake.
I have a PSVR 2 now but literally do not feel like playing RE4 remake in VR after all the headaches the remake version gave me on PS4.
I don’t know maybe if I got a fire sales some day in the future.
The point is that I was a big fan of RE1-3 but didn’t fell RE4 so I did not buy at launch… in 2006 or 2007 I finally tried to play it but I really give up without any enjoyment in play it.

I skipped RE5 and RE6 (never played them and I have all games in my catalog because I got them in a fire sale).

RE7 put me back at the franchise.
And for now all games are good (including remakes)… the only exception is as REmake 3 that is a good game but content wise if you played original you will hate it (half of the game was slashed).

REmake 4 if I can get it cheap in the future I will buy it and try but I think it is not the time now :D

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You can save Barry in the remake. I believe and he can die in the original if my memory is right.

Agreed
RE3 was a missed opportunity with the missing content otherwise it would be fantastic
My comment about Barry was that the original game has him as a badass guy of few words that always save Jill…

They changed that in Remake… they changed his character to act different and not the same badass guy of the original.

That change killed the character to me. I have no issue with dying or not in the game… it is part of the story.

Ohhhh and before people says here it is nostalgia… I made a thread in GAF talking in 2010 or so I was playing both games in sequence… RE1 and REmake 1… RE1 was a replay and REmake 1 the first time.
It was very fresh in my mind the differences.

REmake 3 is really a weird move by Capcom… I guess they wanted to release it asap after REmake 2 because it is hard to imagine how can you make a remake that have cut more than 50% of the locations, events, and content of the original.

It had everything to be amazing but Capcom really dropped the ball here.

Last edited:

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Being at the absolute cutting edge of the genre plays a huge role in how we perceive the originals. On a pure gameplay level I think RE4R is better than the og, but nothing will ever recreate that cultural milestone of taking Resident Evil in a completely new direction.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ohhhh and before people says here it is nostalgia… I made a thread in GAF talking in 2010 or so I was playing both games in sequence… RE1 and REmake 1… RE1 was a replay and REmake 1 the first time.
It was very fresh in my mind the differences.

I agree, Its not just nostalgia.
REmake 3 is really a weird move by Capcom… I guess they wanted to release it asap after REmake 2 because it is hard to imagine how can you make a remake that have cut more than 50% of the locations, events, and content of the original.

It had everything to be amazing but Capcom really dropped the ball here.
True. They should do a directors cut and put in the rest. They missed loads, it would of been great

Last edited:
Reactions: ethomaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Being at the absolute cutting edge of the genre plays a huge role in how we perceive the originals. On a pure gameplay level I think RE4R is better than the og, but nothing will ever recreate that cultural milestone of taking Resident Evil in a completely new direction.
Is there any missing content compared to the Original RE4? Like how RE2-RE3 remakes cut alot out or changed half the game in RE2 Remake

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'll never understand how folks have issues with tank controls which are among the most intuitive control schemes ever, but got to terms with using dual analog on an FPS which is like playing a chapman stick with your feet (not even Tony Levin could do that)

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Is there any missing content compared to the Original RE4? Like how RE2-RE3 remakes cut alot out or changed half the game in RE2 Remake
Only the island section seems to be shaved down a bit, with the entire U-3 fight being removed.

Everything else is there.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Only the island section seems to be shaved down a bit, with the entire U-3 fight being removed.

Everything else is there.
They actually removed the spiked drill bulldozer in one of the grail rooms, it does appear in separate ways in a different form tho
the lava room with fire breathing dragons
incendiary grenades were replaced with large grenades
the PRL 412 laser was removed
The Dr. Salvador enemy with a Blue Coat doesn't appear at all in the remake
Now that the special Red Rocket Launcher is a key item you can no longer use it in the main game on new game plus
the two paths after the cabin fight just turned into one
they removed the two spiked ceiling traps
they removed any sort of moving truck in the game, the one in the beginning pushing the car into the river, the one that comes after you before Salazar's castle, and the one that comes after you twice on the Ashley driving section
Mercenaries doesn't have the water world place anymore, it's replaced with the Saddler final boss area
In the original RE4 there was a different Chicago Typewriter for Leon and one for Ada but there the exact same for both in the remake
They removed the dynamite throwing enemies behind the garage door in the remake
The remake also removed the scene of El Gigante destroying all the villagers and instead just had a red Zealot summon the El Gigante
Since Saddler appears way later in the remake a lot of Dialogue between Leon and Saddler is now gone

• brain
Reactions: BroodCorp

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
D
They actually removed the spiked drill bulldozer in one of the grail rooms, it does appear in separate ways in a different form tho
the lava room with fire breathing dragons
incendiary grenades were replaced with large grenades
the PRL 412 laser was removed
The Dr. Salvador enemy with a Blue Coat doesn't appear at all in the remake
Now that the special Red Rocket Launcher is a key item you can no longer use it in the main game on new game plus
the two paths after the cabin fight just turned into one
they removed the two spiked ceiling traps
they removed any sort of moving truck in the game, the one in the beginning pushing the car into the river, the one that comes after you before Salazar's castle, and the one that comes after you twice on the Ashley driving section
Mercenaries doesn't have the water world place anymore, it's replaced with the Saddler final boss area
In the original RE4 there was a different Chicago Typewriter for Leon and one for Ada but there the exact same for both in the remake
They removed the dynamite throwing enemies behind the garage door in the remake
The remake also removed the scene of El Gigante destroying all the villagers and instead just had a red Zealot summon the El Gigante
Since Saddler appears way later in the remake a lot of Dialogue between Leon and Saddler is now gone
Damn they don’t call you RE4-station for nothing lol

Reactions: RE4-Station