It looks like ExoPrimal could be Capcoms first big miss in a while!

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
i mean when i think of recent capcom all i can think of is 15 resident evil remakes, monster hunter, and street fighter. This seems like their first new IP in a while.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
None of those games share fundamental similarities in their structure and design so no. But those other two do. Literally copy and paste job of certain gameplay systems, principles and ideas in many aspects. The main non-commonalities is the theme: Vampire hunters/Superhero brawler.

You say you're into game dev - you should be able to spot it. Keyword: should. Obviously that requires knowledge of the games in question in the first place, most of all Destiny (2) itself.
I work as a gamedev since 2005, now an indie but before was in a top AAA publisher and worked in top mobile and browser games including some of the early top F2P games there.

But well, this doesn't matter for this case. Any player can see that all games take references from popular games, trying to learn what works in them. So they always have similarities with a ton of games. Destiny, as the fastest selling new IP ever and a huge success like its sequel, has been very influential so many games took a few references from it.

But then there are copycats, who basically copy most mechanics, features game concept or even artstyle or setting from a single game. This is not the case of Avengers, Redfall, Knack or Pikmin at all. Avengers or Redfall have a few small things in common with Destiny but also with many other big games that also did it both before and after Destiny (example: loot tier colors, goes back to at least Diablo II or WoW), and have way more key things that make them completely different games compared to Destiny, and at the same time Destiny does many key things that aren't in these other games.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Avengers is not even an argument. It's as much a copycat as Anthem. And Redfall def falls into that pot as I described. It's not a few small things - that's a complete lie for dummies. It's critical gameplay systems and the structure and interconnection between them that makes the overall game function. Visual asset differences and thematic differences make no difference to that core argument. So no. Swing and miss.

I'll wait for the bait to be bit wherein you ask me how Avengers is a Destiny copycat. Supposedly you don't think it's. You bit what wasn't originally intended as bait and turned into one. Not too smart.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Looking deeper at Exoprimal, I think there's a cultural disconnect going on. The big glowing ball dropping a load of dinosaurs should be funny, in theory, and it was clearly intended to be. But I think the near universal concensus is that it isn't and that has really hurt the game’s marketing. Given that there seemingly is no market for "shoot generic dinosaurs as they crawl out of a portal," the game was thus doomed to fail unlike EDF where people are content to mindlessly stomp bugs.

What I think the team missed is that the target audience actually secretly likes dinosaurs, like, seriously, and would have preferred them in a less tongue in cheek manner.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I read positive impressions and I silently chuckle at how much of a gamepass stooge you have to be to think this jank, cheap piece of shit is good.

:ROFLMAO:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I have never even heard of this shit. I do know that capcom can go off the deep end at times and release straight up hot garbage, wont be the 1st or the last time they lose money.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Don't forget Pikmin 4 and Knack, they are exactly the same than Destiny, too. xDDD

Whats Pikmin 4 like?
I love Pikin. Ive always wanted a longer game or Pikin game that keeps getting content. Is that the case with Pikmin 4?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Whats Pikmin 4 like?
I love Pikin. Ive always wanted a longer game or Pikin game that keeps getting content. Is that the case with Pikmin 4?
I don't know, I assume it will be pretty much like the previous ones but with better visuals and some new minor addition.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't know, I assume it will be pretty much like the previous ones but with better visuals and some new minor addition.
The minor addition is an alien dog that you can ride. He runs faster than default Olimar and can "throw" pikmin en masse to avoid the first one or two into combat instantly dieing. I think they also give you a new pikmin type (flying fairy pikmin?) but it would be a shock if they didn't.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
crazy that publishers are still releasing arcade tier online only games as paid releases in 2023. this should have been free to play no questions asked.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero