It's way past time for Sony to announce a showcase

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
XDev: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. Rise looks good but Sony doesn't own the IP. SB looks bad.
Pretty sure its a Sony IP if Sony if publishing it.

Bend Studio: Days Gone is dead. They're working on a new IP. Too early in development.
I dont want a Days Gone sequel. PS needs some new Ips. Not just sequels.
But it can’t be too early in development, its been almost 4 years since Days Gone.

I have a feeling this is Bends last chance, they need to up there game to be considered like the rest of the PS 1st party. Evolution got the boot too soon.

Most your predictions apart from Poly is wrong. ND has more than 1 team, so those Santa Monica.
Plus saying theY are gonna be flops doesnt mean they will be lol.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Pretty sure its a Sony IP if Sony if publishing it.

I dont want a Days Gone sequel. PS needs some new Ips. Not just sequels.
But it can’t be too early in development, its been almost 4 years since Days Gone.

I have a feeling this is Bends last chance, they need to up there game to be considered like the rest of the PS 1st party. Evolution got the boot too soon.

Most your predictions apart from Poly is wrong. ND has more than 1 team, so those Santa Monica.
Don't bother, the dude is a troll, and not a very good one.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
I'm honestly inclined to believe Jeff Grubb about a Showcase happening late May to very early June. He may be annoying on Twitter sometimes, but he actually has a very positive track record of correct info regarding dates of online events. Granted, this list is a little old, but as of compiling it, he had about an 80% success rate.

I'm still not TOTALLY faithful, because the wait since the last one's already got me feeling a bit cynical, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if his information was correct. Fingers crossed, though. It also makes sense, because Spider-Man 2's still slated for this year and it'll likely be the headliner so Sony can ramp up the marketing campaign.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
It had nothing to do with the ABK deal. It's because Sony didn't have anything to show. Even after a 1 1/2 year break, they still can't have a good and long showcase. Even Grubb mentioned it. He said they thought about showing something last year (Helldivers 2) but in the end they didn't have enough content for a showcase.
Sony's problem is that they only have 5 good/relevant studios. The rest of them are mediocre or just support studios.
Just take a look at Sony's PlayStation Studios:

Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo factory. They're working on microtransactions/DLC for GT7.
Team Asobi: Working on Astro Bot VR games that no one plays.
Firesprite: A mediocre VR studio is trying to be an AAA studio. Next game is a Twisted Metal GaaS game. Flop.
Guerrilla Games: Next game should be the Horizon multiplayer game.
Housemarque: Former indie studio that made some niche arcade games literally no one was buying. Returnal just came out.
London Studio: The former SingStar studio, then VR studio and now GaaS studio. Their GaaS game will be another flop.
Media Molecule: Dreams was a 10+ year flop. It finally got canceled. They just started working on a new game.
Nixxes Software: PC port studio. The next PC ports should be Ghost of Tsushima and Demon's Souls.
Savage Game Studios: Small mobile no-name indie studio for some mediocre mobile games.
XDev: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. Rise looks good but Sony doesn't own the IP. SB looks bad.
Bend Studio: Days Gone is dead. They're working on a new IP. Too early in development.
Bluepoint Games: A small remake studio is trying to make their first AAA game. Guaranteed flop.
Firewalk Studios: No-name studio working on their first GaaS game. Guaranteed flop. Might be ready for a reveal.
Haven Studios: No-name studio working on their first GaaS game. Guaranteed flop. Not ready for a reveal.
Insomniac Games: Marvel factory. Can't make their own successful IPs anymore. Spider-Man 2 is Sony's big 2023 game.
Naughty Dog: TLOU factory. The next TLOU game will be TLOU Online. Another GaaS game.
PixelOpus: Small AA studio working on another niche game after Entwined and Concrete Genie flopped.
San Diego Studio: MLB The Show factory. MLB The Show 2023 just launched a few weeks ago.
Santa Monica Studio: God of War factory. Loki spinoff (like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) might be ready for a reveal.
Sucker Punch Productions: Ghost of Tsushima 2 could be ready for a reveal.
Valkyrie Entertainment: Support studio. Might work on a small game like GUNS UP 2. GUNS UP 1 horrendous. Flop.

There is not much to show. That's why Sony's showcase will be roughly 40 minutes long.
Meanwhile Microsoft's showcase will be 90 minutes long. And the Starfield portion of the showcase will be an additional half an hour.

This was always one of Sony's big problems. They only have 5 good 1st party studios.
Naughty Dog, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch Productions, Guerrilla Games and Polyphony Digital. And two of these studios are Marvel & Gran Turismo factories. So don't expect much from Sony this year. All they have is Spider-Man 2. One game. An IP they don't own.
Any bets to when this dumbass (who is a alt of a banned user) its getting his ban?

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Polyphony have been releasing free cars in support of a game that sold and still sells well. They were always the GT studio since the beginning and are supporting their game for free. Mtx are purely optional.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sucker Punch (Ghost 2?)
I think it's likely to see them announcing the GoT1 PC port this year. It's too eary to show Ghost 2 because they released GoT1 in 2020 and its expansion/DLC/PS5 version in 2021. May take a couple years to announce GoT2.

- Bend (new IP)
Too early to see their new IP. Released Days Gone in 2019, then in 2021 its PC port and also were supposed (it's from Bloomberg, so potentially a lie) codeveloping Factions 2 and an a supposed Uncharted spinoff before leaving both projects to start working int the new IP pretty recently. Don't expect to see them announcing their new IP in the next couple of years.

- Media Molecule
They have been supporting Dreams until recently, are working in a new game but they are a smal team, so they'll need time. Don't expect to see them announcing their next game this year.

They expect to release AT LEAST one new IP before 2025 (in another interview a couple months later said by 2025). So maybe they wait to announce it during the next year, but I think it's likely that Bungie would announce their next game this summer with at least a teaser.

They started the studio a couple years ago. Even if they started to work in the technology and preproduction of the game in Google, seems way too early for them. I think they'll need a couple of years more before showing their game.

- Housemarque
Released Returnal 2 years ago, and maybe did some support on its PC version released monts ago. Will need a handful years more to show their next game.

- Firewalk
Likely to reveal their game this year. They started it and their studio in 2018.

Released Astrobot in late 2020, may be too soon to show their next game, which seems it's going to be a bigger 3d action game than the Astros, but not impossible.

- Bluepoint
They codeveloped GoWR as support team. Who knows if they are codeveloping another 'original content' or if they are now making their own game or dlc. I woudn't expect to see them this year, maybe the next one.

Yeah, Sony's pretentious silence is a bit annoying. Just say you have a show in June.
Silence? Didn't you hear the release of PSVR2 and other accesories and all their exclusives (more every year than the Nintendo and MS combined)?

You should know they have several online streams every year called State of Play, which as an example they did one recently focused on Final Fantasy XVI gameplay. And also that they have a PlayStation Blog where they also share more news.

Sony announces their State of Play events a few days before. Pretty likely this stream was planned as their pre-E3 'conference', meaning that pretty likely they'll do it in the first days of June, and then announce it a few days before, by the end of the month.

After the Days Gone release they did in-house its PC port, codeveloped a bit Factions 2 and an Uncharted spinoff to make time until they prepared the pitch of their next game, which (unlike the Days Gone directos) the head of Bend didn't want to be Days Gone 2 and wanted to be a new IP.

Bend pitched the new IP, Sony greenlighted it (Bend never sent them a pitch for Days Gone 2, the new IP was the first pitch Sony received) and Bend left the other two projects to focus on the new IP.

I have a feeling this is Bends last chance, they need to up there game to be considered like the rest of the PS 1st party.
Lol!

Days Gone sold well, more than all previous Bend games combined, got a PC port and is getting a movie. Sony greenlighted Bend the first project Bend pitched them after Days Gone (the new IP) and while the pitch was going made and greenlighted, Bend was helping in maybe the two biggest Sony IPs (TLOU and Uncharted). In addition to this, the studio is growing.

Absolutely nothing leads to think this is 'their last chance'. The opposite, they are in a great position.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t actually expect a Bungie reveal at a Sony event. Will probably be its own reveal… seeing how it’s 100% multiplatform and going to Xbox as well. Would be nice to see something tho.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Polyphony have been releasing free cars in support of a game that sold and still sells well. They were always the GT studio since the beginning and are supporting their game for free. Mtx are purely optional.

Oh I meant he was right about them supporting GT, not the actual MTX Part or the rest lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I see. But havent they got Xdev working on it too?
Has this been confirmed?
Yes, it's going to be a Sony 2nd party game. Meaning XDEV will publish it, like Death Stranding 2, Sackboy, Stellar Blade etc. It's confirmed.

Specifically, will be published by the Japanese brand of XDEV, which was branched off from Japan Studio to become its own office, to report now to the global XDEV team instead to their local internal gamedev studio, and to grow in size and to also publish non-Japanese Asian games (like Stellar Blade).

But unlike in basically all other Sony published 2nd games like Death Stranding, Sackboy or Bloodborne seems that this time the developer and creator of the game, Koei Tecmo, will keep the IP.

I wouldn’t actually expect a Bungie reveal at a Sony event. Will probably be its own reveal… seeing how it’s 100% multiplatform and going to Xbox as well. Would be nice to see something tho.
Sony announced many 3rd party multiplatform games at their events. They also announced PC ports of PS Studios games. Even announced MLB, a multiplatform 1st party game, on their events.

So they could perfectly announce another multiplatform 1st party game as would be a Bungie one. And then later, like many other 1st and 3rd party games it could get a dedicated State of Play somewhere in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko