Jan 2024 U.S. Video Game Market Highlights Circana. Best selling hardware. PS5 tracking ahead of PS4 LTD by 7%. Top 20 games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There’s a few games that have been going evergreen with ps5. Ragnarok was the first one of note that you will see chart globally on weekly charts. GT7 is doing it too now and kinda in a way that’s more impressive for fhe genre.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the latest Forza Motorsport dropping the ball with players also helps swing mind and market share towards gran turismo just a tiny bit too.

It’ll be interesting to see what the pc port does. It should do exceptional and also relaunch the game when it does happen.
As I remember GT7 had the best launch in the series, or pretty close.

I assume that in addition to GaaS post launch content and the PSVR2 version, to have Forza failing may also helped it to continue with good sales.

It's normal to have a few top exclusive IPs as evergreen now that console is selling great, because I assume when people buy now a console they get it with some GoW, GT, Spider-Man, TLOU etc. On top of that I assume many of them may be cheap now some time after release.

Other than GT fans, most racing simulators are on PC. Yamauchi said he had no PC port plans, but if down the road they do it I think it would work very well there. But I'd keep it exclusive to PS, no PC port because I think it would help to keep some games always exclusive to PS to drive sales.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
As I remember GT7 had the best launch in the series, or pretty close.

I assume that in addition to GaaS post launch content and the PSVR2 version, to have Forza failing may also helped it to continue with good sales.

It's normal to have a few top exclusive IPs as evergreen now that console is selling great, because I assume when people buy now a console they get it with some GoW, GT, Spider-Man, TLOU etc. On top of that I assume many of them may be cheap now some time after release.

Other than GT fans, most racing simulators are on PC. Yamauchi said he had no PC port plans, but if down the road they do it I think it would work very well there. But I'd keep it exclusive to PS, no PC port because I think it would help to keep some games always exclusive to PS to drive sales.

They’re gonna put Ragnarok and TLOU2 on PC and after interim exec’s latest comments I don’t see why GT would be any less different, if not the best option.

I’m very fond of keeping PlayStation hardware dev standard and then porting to pc later. I am unconvinced most steam users can even run ps5 fidelity in games. Especially considering that at this point internally developed PlayStation exclusives are also generally the best looking games. This delayed and staggered release process is not too bad at all. Does if hurt console business? TBD.

This keeps PlayStation the industry standard as it exists now. It’s the primary development platform for nearly all studios.

So I’m sure the debate exist of when and what to port. But you get mixed messaging from deals like foamstars that’s ps consoles only.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They’re gonna put Ragnarok and TLOU2 on PC and after interim exec’s latest comments I don’t see why GT would be any less different, if not the best option.

I’m very fond of keeping PlayStation hardware dev standard and then porting to pc later. I am unconvinced most steam users can even run ps5 fidelity in games. Especially considering that at this point internally developed PlayStation exclusives are also generally the best looking games. This delayed and staggered release process is not too bad at all. Does if hurt console business? TBD.

This keeps PlayStation the industry standard as it exists now. It’s the primary development platform for nearly all studios.

So I’m sure the debate exist of when and what to port. But you get mixed messaging from deals like foamstars that’s ps consoles only.
Well, I think TLOU2R, like the Uncharted, Spider-Man 1, TLOUP1 remasters exist mostly to have them fresh for a PC version and to make the games look less old than they really are.

I think GoWR will end in PC, but as usual after at least around 2 years being only available in PS. I think the next unannounced ports would be TLOU2R, GoT and Demon's Souls.

So far all the hardware, software (both 3rd and 1st), accesories, services, active userbase console metrics are at record levels and keep growing every year, PC ports apparently aren't affecting. In fact, 50% of the people who buys a PS5 are new users (I assume they mean have no PS4/PS3/Vita/PSP PSN account), part of them may come from PC.

I assume specially in China, where at least during the first or second year the console grew a ton compared vs PS4 launch aligned regarding country rankings ranked by PS hardware sales (went from top 11 to top 6).

Last edited: