Japanese Youtuber explains why Xbox is so hated in Japan The 'X sign' is a huge insult to Japan

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

interesting video!

-The X signage is a huge insult to Japan
-The Xbox green color is offensive in the realm of traditional Japanese aesthetics
-The Xbox has no exclusive games
-The Xbox hardware has a legacy of big, black, huge brick-like consoles that clash with the Japanese living room.

Interesting stuff. Give this guy a listen, and a like, and maybe even a sub. Good dude!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So many reasons but the truth is that in gaming Japanese consumers only rarely buy western products. Xbox was never going to win over there unless all of its opponents fucked up to the point of being un-sellable.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
LMAO.
John Candy Reaction GIF

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nice neighbourhood OP, you're in Japan 😁

Phil sucking that X-cock

Screenshot_20230804_000949_Google.jpg

What about the new twitter with the X? I don't even know why they changed it so stupid.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
X and number 4.

But in reality most of our population don't even know green thing exists lol. It's a Nintendo land and Sony land after that fact. Japanese manufacturers just care about domestic market, as much as other market like US

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
well, it was the cancel or back button for the past 25 years...
X means discard, in school system it used to mark wrong answer, back in wartime people using X to mark dead soldiers or civilians, etc. So it kinda a bad omen thing.

Also I still can't pronounce that X thing, how do you pronounce with context when speaking "xi" or "xe"? I call it cross honestly

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
X means discard, in school system it used to mark wrong answer, back in wartime people using X to mark dead soldiers or civilians, etc. So it kinda a bad omen thing.

Also I still can't pronounce that X thing, how do you pronounce with context when speaking "xi" or "xe"? I call it cross honestly
Tbh it sounds like copium to say that the X in Xbox is why japanese don't like it. X Japan was huge as a metal band in japan... because they were cool as fuck and their music was awesome. Xbox sucks because it's lame, their games are lame, and their marketing is lame

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Boy, they must really hate the PS and Nintendo controller layout too... I guess.
Idk man, this seems like a reach.
"Maru" means Round or circle = good
"battsu" means X or wrong, "bad"

you routinely will use each of these in daily life in japan, and that's why if you've ever imported a Japanese playstation console, the Circle button was always Yes, and the X was always 'No', or 'Back'.

the Nintendo controller follows the same format as the Japanese PlayStation controller.

"Battsu'or X can also mean punishment, suffering, pain.

Here's the popular comedy show Gaki No Tsukai playing the 'Battsu' X game. Battsu or X meaning, they get kicked in the balls or ass as a punishment.

this is what Xbox is in Japan.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Please God can we make referring to the XB as the "No Box" into a thing? I'm dying.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It's the Japanese King Thrash
I am imagining some song of the south level Japanese caricature trying to rap Thrash's song.

"No Box.. Got more controrrers than it got games..."