Japanese Youtuber explains why Xbox is so hated in Japan The 'X sign' is a huge insult to Japan

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
"Maru" means Round or circle = good
"battsu" means X or wrong, "bad"

you routinely will use each of these in daily life in japan, and that's why if you've ever imported a Japanese playstation console, the Circle button was always Yes, and the X was always 'No', or 'Back'.

the Nintendo controller follows the same format as the Japanese PlayStation controller.

"Battsu'or X can also mean punishment, suffering, pain.

Here's the popular comedy show Gaki No Tsukai playing the 'Battsu' X game. Battsu or X meaning, they get kicked in the balls or ass as a punishment.

this is what Xbox is in Japan.
Fam, this still feels like a MASSIVE reach.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm seeing dumb threads pop up we should report this stuff. We want quality threads and conversations not this kind of stuff.

I'm all for if there is legit research/info on why Japan doesn't adopt xbox, but making a youtube channel just to drop this video to fuel more console war crap is just....super cringe.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

interesting video!

-The X signage is a huge insult to Japan
-The Xbox green color is offensive in the realm of traditional Japanese aesthetics
-The Xbox has no exclusive games
-The Xbox hardware has a legacy of big, black, huge brick-like consoles that clash with the Japanese living room.

Interesting stuff. Give this guy a listen, and a like, and maybe even a sub. Good dude!
Sounds like an expert on ancient Japanese culture.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I have heard Episode 2 is coming later today, I think we should all like, subscribe, and comment on the video in the mean time.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'm seeing dumb threads pop up we should report this stuff. We want quality threads and conversations not this kind of stuff.

I'm all for if there is legit research/info on why Japan doesn't adopt xbox, but making a youtube channel just to drop this video to fuel more console war crap is just....super cringe.
Oh lighten up, dude. It's generally tense all round with ABK looming and potential/probable implications for future (not just by MS).

I genuinely took the video as a bit of fun. I'll deffinately use "no box" tounge-in-cheekily in the future. But it also raises some discussion questions.

Is there any market research or data we can extrapolate from, for how Japan valued SEGA vs XB, or OGXB's library (largely "DC2" Sega sequels?) vs later Cod/Gears/Halo/Forza XB 360 identity) along cultural or historical reasons?

• they're_right_you_know

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
The "welfare pass" scenario also fits, I just feel like it gets overlooked because it feels like it's punching down on poorer people, or casual gamers/people who can't play as much as they'd want. And those people will more fiercely defend their cheap box or sub access to gaming. For my mate with kids he totally fits the scenario. TV is forever gone between kids on Netflix/cocomellon and if not his misses on TV shows he hates. No XB yet but he can eek out something on GamePass android app while saying he deffinately will buy my XBSX one day, wink, wink. XB's approach. Good enough is good enough, financially/time constraints considered. But it shouldn't mean the rest of us get dragged down or dev times extended by the lowest common denominator box being taken into consideration. I hope more devs skip XB due to S or GP.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How come the streets are so empty in the middle of the day. It's like a ghost town 🤨
Small cities are like that in the middle of day unless you are in the commercial area.

I live in a 70k city and it is like that except if you are around the center that have stores, restaurants, etc… the residencial área just look alive in three periods: when people left to go work/school (6am to 8am), when children back from school (~1pm) and when people back from work (5pm to 6pm)..

Of course in a city with 10 million habitants like São Paulo you won’t see that because any street will be full or cars and people :D

• Informative