Japans Studio’s alumni are MIA or putting out junk

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I didn't like Tokyo Jungle and I'm not a golf fan, but I also miss things like Parappa or Loco Roco.

I also understand that it's a business, that nobody remembers Parappa and pretty likely wouldn't sell a shit today, and games like Loco Roco or Patapon didn't even sell a shit back then so other than the remasters I don't think they'll bring them back. Maybe they release the remasters on PC once they ran out of old PS5 and PS4 games with potential to sell well in PC, but that's all.

If the Patapon animated adaptation peforms well they might consider to do something new, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I loved Tokyo Jungle on coop. I dont like Golf per say, but Ive always liked the video games or crazy golf.
Parappa would just be nice to see as a small title, music genre, easy to make and done.

Yeah, Patapon is a strange choice but maybe it helps bring another one

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
It's a bit disappointing to see what the ex-Japan Studio crowd are releasing. I was hoping for them to put it up to Sony as a you fucked up but it sadly reinforces it was a right decision. The brilliant ps3 games and Gravity Rush is not showing now. Pity

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It's a bit disappointing to see what the ex-Japan Studio crowd are releasing. I was hoping for them to put it up to Sony as a you fucked up but it sadly reinforces it was a right decision. The brilliant ps3 games and Gravity Rush is not showing now. Pity

And the financials and lower profits margins sony are currently challenged with would be even worse if they still had all those projects in incubation not coming together.

The same thing that happened to Japan Studio is now happening to Bungie. Companies aren’t paying these studios to sit around and be unproductive.

London studio and Pixelopus were the same, they haven’t put out any critical hits (and we know sony cares more about “hits” than sales) and had projects that weren’t shaping up to be anything.

Japan Studio was never going to be safe the way it’s been run the past decade. The now xdev japan team (Japan Studio support team) and Team Asobi were always the most productive groups there

Reactions: Dick Jones

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
And the financials and lower profits margins sony are currently challenged with would be even worse if they still had all those projects in incubation not coming together.

The same thing that happened to Japan Studio is now happening to Bungie. Companies aren’t paying these studios to sit around and be unproductive.

London studio and Pixelopus were the same, they haven’t put out any critical hits (and we know sony cares more about “hits” than sales) and had projects that weren’t shaping up to be anything.

Japan Studio was never going to be safe the way it’s been run the past decade. The now xdev japan team (Japan Studio support team) and Team Asobi were always the most productive groups there
Wow , Pixelopus. I loved Concrete Genie. Heartbreaking we never got another game from that studio. If it was released in the PS3 era from Japan Studio, people would still be fawning over it.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Wow , Pixelopus. I loved Concrete Genie. Heartbreaking we never got another game from that studio. If it was released in the PS3 era from Japan Studio, people would still be fawning over it.

Yep, i was really looking forward to seeing what they could do on ps5. I loved Concreate Genie

Concrete Genie came out in 2019, no one bought it, and now in 2023 there game probably required much mroe time. I think a team like that needing 5+ years to put out a game defeats the purpose of it

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yep, i was really looking forward to seeing what they could do on ps5. I loved Concreate Genie

Concrete Genie came out in 2019, no one bought it, and now in 2023 there game probably required much mroe time. I think a team like that needing 5+ years to put out a game defeats the purpose of it
Was cool. I bought it lol