Jason Schreier: "Xbox is such a mess right now, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. They're talking about teasing handheld now."

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
"Xbox is such a mess right now, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. Right now they're talking about teasing handheld over and over again but who knows? A year ago, they were saying Indiana Jones was never coming to PlayStation so like, they change their minds every month. They're just a disaster over there, it's really sad. "

Timestamped at 1:42.40

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Jason Schreier is a muppet. Xbox is a mess, but that doesn't mean they don't have a plan nor does it mean that plan won't or shouldn't change as they collect more data.

Schreier is an unserious person.

Microsoft sought to buy Bethesda (zenimax) and ABK in order to bolster their first party offerings. That was the plan.

Starfield didn't deliver and is one of the first but not the first major Bethesda game to not deliver. Maybe of this magnitude.

The ABK deal was held up by regulators for longer than they had planned. By the time the deal went through and with the arrangement for ABK and the cloud deal, their original plans were decimated.

Meanwhile, XSX and XSS sales were tanking. They had planned on revitalizing a number of franchises and the pandemic happened. This is particularly troubling for them because of the way they manage contract workers. All of these games were delayed and the contractors were certainly scattershot.

They wanted to release a streaming stick and then they realized they had missed the boat on that and they'd end up taking a loss selling the sticks themselves and that they were better off partnering with Amazon and eventually other platform holders. That's just collecting more data and adjusting your plan.

They had initially hoped GamePass would be a loss leader and allow them to build a massive consumer base across console, PC, and Cloud, but people didn't bite on the subscription and they flat lined, largely due to poor XSX/S sales. Again they had to pivot.

Now that they own Zenimax and ABK, their operating costs are entirely too high which is why they're no longer willing to take GamePass as a loss leader, why they're cutting employees they see as non-essential, and why they're putting games on PS5 and Switch.

If we're playing poker and you keep getting dealt a bad hand, yeah, you might play the game differently than if you had stronger hands.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Jason Schreier is a muppet. Xbox is a mess, but that doesn't mean they don't have a plan nor does it mean that plan won't or shouldn't change as they collect more data.

Schreier is an unserious person.

Microsoft sought to buy Bethesda (zenimax) and ABK in order to bolster their first party offerings. That was the plan.

Starfield didn't deliver and is one of the first but not the first major Bethesda game to not deliver. Maybe of this magnitude.

The ABK deal was held up by regulators for longer than they had planned. By the time the deal went through and with the arrangement for ABK and the cloud deal, their original plans were decimated.

Meanwhile, XSX and XSS sales were tanking. They had planned on revitalizing a number of franchises and the pandemic happened. This is particularly troubling for them because of the way they manage contract workers. All of these games were delayed and the contractors were certainly scattershot.

They wanted to release a streaming stick and then they realized they had missed the boat on that and they'd end up taking a loss selling the sticks themselves and that they were better off partnering with Amazon and eventually other platform holders. That's just collecting more data and adjusting your plan.

They had initially hoped GamePass would be a loss leader and allow them to build a massive consumer base across console, PC, and Cloud, but people didn't bite on the subscription and they flat lined, largely due to poor XSX/S sales. Again they had to pivot.

Now that they own Zenimax and ABK, their operating costs are entirely too high which is why they're no longer willing to take GamePass as a loss leader, why they're cutting employees they see as non-essential, and why they're putting games on PS5 and Switch.

If we're playing poker and you keep getting dealt a bad hand, yeah, you might play the game differently than if you had stronger hands.

So in other words……Xbox is a mess and they keep changing their plans. Thanks for making a long post out of what was already said.

No need to defend a corporation like MS.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So in other words……Xbox is a mess and they keep changing their plans. Thanks for making a long post out of what was already said.

No need to defend a corporation like MS.

I'm not defending them, I'm simply stating reality and pushing back on the negative connotation he has by saying they keep changing their plans.

They'd be stupid not to change their plans, they're at the whims of the market at the moment.

They're absolutely a mess, but it's not because they're changing their plans, it's because they lost market share, took a gamble, made a bad bet, took a hail mary, missed on the hail mary.

Nintendo did the same thing, only they hit. If the Switch had failed, Nintendo would probably be making PS5 games right now.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I'm not defending them, I'm simply stating reality and pushing back on the negative connotation he has by saying they keep changing their plans.

They'd be stupid not to change their plans, they're at the whims of the market at the moment.

They're absolutely a mess, but it's not because they're changing their plans, it's because they lost market share, took a gamble, made a bad bet, took a hail mary, missed on the hail mary.

Nintendo did the same thing, only they hit. If the Switch had failed, Nintendo would probably be making PS5 games right now.

It all sounds redundant like you’re saying the same thing but trying to explain it differently? It just reads like you’re giving MS the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah they tried a lot of things and they keep failing. Supposedly they’re going to keep trying with a new console.

Somebody needs to tell MS their problems are not solved buying publishers or hardware power. It’s lack of games and new popular IP.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It all sounds redundant like you’re saying the same thing but trying to explain it differently? It just reads like you’re giving MS the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah they tried a lot of things and they keep failing. Supposedly they’re going to keep trying with a new console.

Somebody needs to tell MS their problems are not solved buying publishers or hardware power. It’s lack of games and new popular IP.

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying it is silly and clownish to get on them for "changing their plans."

I can't envision them releasing another traditional console. I just don't see Nadella signing up for that.

They won't do the Series S again and their next system is likely to have at least a 25 percent drop from this generation. They're at most going to sell 40 million units and that's with heavy help from price cuts and GTA. So only selling at most 30 million units next generation? I don't see the value in that.

The problem is they don't have the makeup to create better games and new IP. They've been in the market for 20+ years... what new IP have they generated organically?

ABK was a bad buy. Ubisoft would have been a better one ironically.

shocknero

12 Jun 2023
It’s so weird to see people really want MS out of gaming as a platform. Like even if you don’t like anything about what they offer to you as a consumer, having them in the industry is a positive. If they bounce so does all the funding they throw around to indie/AA, and even AAA Dev/Pub like SE, Sega, Capcom who they pump money into to get more of their games on their platform which helps those companies take risks on Path of the Goddess and likely Sega to spinoff from Persona and Xbox to pump a ton of advertising into Metaphor.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It’s so weird to see people really want MS out of gaming as a platform. Like even if you don’t like anything about what they offer to you as a consumer, having them in the industry is a positive. If they bounce so does all the funding they throw around to indie/AA, and even AAA Dev/Pub like SE, Sega, Capcom who they pump money into to get more of their games on their platform which helps those companies take risks on Path of the Goddess and likely Sega to spinoff from Persona and Xbox to pump a ton of advertising into Metaphor.

Its the same as Microsoft saying they want to spend Playstation out of business. Why would anyone want a company like that around?

MS will leave and someone else can come, Valve, Epic, Samsung, Apple, whoever, its not important.

Im sure Sega, Capcom, SE and others will be fine.
Microsoft was the company that wanted everything on Gamepass eventually one day. So publishers and indies wouldnt have much power or idea what there game is worth compared to others on gamepass

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They're a cancer to gaming , sooner the better

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
How is it a positive? What have they introduced to gaming that made them good?

They bought all their IPs, including Halo and Gears
They popularized microtransactions
They introduced an online paywall with the 360
They started heavy investment in games media with the Xone
They introduced a loss leading strategy with GP, in hopes of crashing the industry and coming out on top
They bribed politicians to threaten and insult regulators and even the entire Japan with a racist outburst
They outright tried killing the industry by "spending Sony out of business"
They keep heavily investing in games media and industry influencers, including youtubers and even industry insiders.

What, prey tell, was their positive impact on gaming? They're a cancer that just destroys and doesn't contribute anything. The sooner they're gone, the better it is for the health of the industry.

Plenty of companies there to take their place.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying it is silly and clownish to get on them for "changing their plans."

I can't envision them releasing another traditional console. I just don't see Nadella signing up for that.

They won't do the Series S again and their next system is likely to have at least a 25 percent drop from this generation. They're at most going to sell 40 million units and that's with heavy help from price cuts and GTA. So only selling at most 30 million units next generation? I don't see the value in that.

The problem is they don't have the makeup to create better games and new IP. They've been in the market for 20+ years... what new IP have they generated organically?

ABK was a bad buy. Ubisoft would have been a better one ironically.

I don’t believe it’s silly. It’s easy to make fun of MS when they keep doing all these maneuvers and nothing comes of it.

Apparently the next console will be the “largest technical leap ever” so they want to go at it again. Of course none of this will change their prospects.

It seems MS doesn’t have the talent or determination to create new IP’s. All they’re good at is spending money on games that already exist. Their new goal is to try and take away historical PlayStation exclusive games. As if that will do anything meaningful for them. MS is lost with Xbox.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
This will be dismissed by the usual crowd as whataboutism and muh Xbot.

Sony are in a very similar position to Microsoft, the key difference is Sony still selling consoles. Both have the worst software output in their history, both flapped around with live service and GaaS, Sony dabbled in PSN now while Microsoft went for gamepass. Both have rumoured to be making a proper handheld, not whatever the fuck portal was supposed to be.

A shift is happening in the industry and for some reason both Microsoft and Sony are playing off of the same handbook. Maybe it's an American/Californian thing?

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I still wonder what they want with a handheld. Xbox doesn't have a single exclusive game anymore, so I can play any of their games on a Rog Ally or emulate older games. The PC handheld market isn't particularly successful compared to the Switch. Am I missing a gap in the market?

For years Xbox has been preaching that all you need is Xcloud to play games anywhere without hardware, and now they're going to offer handhelds as well as consoles? Does that make sense? I can't understand Sony selling a real handheld again, but they're hardware manufacturers and they could offer exclusive games (which they're unlikely to do, as can be seen with Vita and PSVR2). In addition, Sony could try to get the entire PS4 library running on one of these things, which would allow some people to play hundreds of games, like Bloodborne, for free in some places. But Xbox no longer has all of that thanks to Play Anywhere, the majority of Xbox fans have long since switched to PC and have a PC handheld.

In my opinion, it would make more sense for Xbox to get into the VR business. For $400, a competitive headset for Xbox and the ability to watch adult VR movies there would be a bigger reason to buy for some than PSVR2.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This will be dismissed by the usual crowd as whataboutism and muh Xbot.

Sony are in a very similar position to Microsoft, the key difference is Sony still selling consoles. Both have the worst software output in their history, both flapped around with live service and GaaS, Sony dabbled in PSN now while Microsoft went for gamepass. Both have rumoured to be making a proper handheld, not whatever the fuck portal was supposed to be.

A shift is happening in the industry and for some reason both Microsoft and Sony are playing off of the same handbook. Maybe it's an American/Californian thing?

This is such a silly post.

Sony has the worst software output in their history? What are you basing that on? Please be specific.

Sony just released one of their best selling games of all time in Helldivers 2.

Sony isn't dabbling in PSN, which I think you meant PS+. It's core revenue for them.

The Switch is one of the best selling systems of all time and many people want to play on the go. Looking into handhelds has always been obvious.

Sony has been in the handheld gaming market since 2005 and honestly before then because they were pretty involved in the wonderswan. The lack of a handheld for them is a bigger discrepancy than them looking back into it with the right conditions.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
All the more reason why we need a new player to enter the console gaming space, or at least provide something that can compete even more with consoles as an indirect competitor.

Hence why I'm hoping Valve are that "new player", at least in terms of amplifying their hardware output. They'd just need to partner with an OEM or two who can produce at larger volumes than they currently do with the Steam Deck. Something more like a NEC-Hudson relationship (I think MS will go for a more 3DO approach and obviously would rather utilize Windows & Xbox OS).

I'm not saying a new, more focused generation of Steam Machine would usurp PlayStation or kill off Xbox (particularly if Xbox does in fact lean into a more PC-like model for their next hardware). But it could definitively light some fire under their asses because as a platform, I have to say Steam is besting PlayStation in several key areas and running circles around Xbox in most aspects.

They already have hardware appealing to the gaming market with Steam Deck; they just need to expand on that and find a way to increase their volume of production (I think 6-8 million a year would be a good target to hit).

With them doing that, and Nintendo further solidifying themselves via Switch & related products, I think that'd show without a doubt how incompetent Xbox has been, plus how stagnant/complacent PlayStation seems to have become, in providing some true innovative experiences to the market that prioritize maximization of a fully synergetic hardware/software/OS package both fully satisfying dedicated fans/customers & being very appealing to new ones.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022

They are bleeding like a mofo!
You can only cover a gash with a bandaid for so long.
Period! no need for walls of text.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
This is such a silly post.

Sony has the worst software output in their history? What are you basing that on? Please be specific.

Sony just released one of their best selling games of all time in Helldivers 2.

Sony isn't dabbling in PSN, which I think you meant PS+. It's core revenue for them.

The Switch is one of the best selling systems of all time and many people want to play on the go. Looking into handhelds has always been obvious.

Sony has been in the handheld gaming market since 2005 and honestly before then because they were pretty involved in the wonderswan. The lack of a handheld for them is a bigger discrepancy than them looking back into it with the right conditions.
Yawn. A standard chatbot reply.

I'm not going through point by point trying to prove my case when you'll dismiss it in Reddit-tier fashion. I've made my post, believe it or not, like it or not, I don't care.

• haha
Reactions: mibu no ookami