Jason Schreier: "Xbox is such a mess right now, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. They're talking about teasing handheld now."

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Most of their Subscribers are Xbox Players, though.

If Xbox dies, Gamepass dies.

Their transition to Firesticks and the Cloud hasn't moved the needle in any meaningful volume, so far.

They will transition to non traditional hardware.

• Plays PC games and then xbox games with BC (probably digital only)
  • Unsubsidized
  • Potentially multiple skus
  • Potentially multiple manufacturers

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony are in a very similar position to Microsoft, the key difference is Sony still selling consoles. Both have the worst software output in their history, both flapped around with live service and GaaS, Sony dabbled in PSN now while Microsoft went for gamepass. Both have rumoured to be making a proper handheld, not whatever the fuck portal was supposed to be.
Sony are not at their best, but putting those two together (as in their situations are similar) is just plain wrong, + I think they put too much effort on this, to the detriment of what they are known for (amazing games unique to their consoles, which gives people reason to get the console and feed the ecosystem).

Sony is making moves to try to get a bigger piece of the GaaS market, which is something I hate and kind of hope they fail hard at it. Their PSN+ has not been detrimental to their core business and messaging, like GP is for MS, so I don't think any of thei troubles are a result of this.

+ The PC releases did change the attitude many have in regards to owning a console at all, what's the point of you can just play all the games anyway?

Otherwise, They still do make single player games, and hopefully their big guns will show us what they have been cooking soon. They have not spend nearly as much money on studios/publishers as MS, so this is not putting pressure on them to change their strategy.

I think the image some are trying to paint is that since xbox is in a dire position then playstation has to be as well, because this is not something that xbox could have done to themselves, it has to be market forces... Which is not the case at all.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I think the image some are trying to paint is that since xbox is in a dire position then playstation has to be as well, because this is not something that xbox could have done to themselves, it has to be market forces... Which is not the case at all.
Bingo, and it comes from the top (or top of the bottom): Uncle Phil.

It's never Microsoft's fault, it's never only Microsoft that's to blame. They're perfect and can do no wrong.

Possibly the most narcissistic company on the planet. Vile, wretched sub-human mongrels.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Bingo, and it comes from the top (or top of the bottom): Uncle Phil.

It's never Microsoft's fault, it's never only Microsoft that's to blame. They're perfect and can do no wrong.

Possibly the most narcissistic company on the planet. Vile, wretched sub-human mongrels.
Even the latest video from DF in regards to the PS5 have that strange angle to them... As if the Series X was ever "the most powerful" and xbox will take back the crown whenever they decide to release a next-gen console.

It's cringy at times.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Even the latest video from DF in regards to the PS5 have that strange angle to them... As if the Series X was ever "the most powerful" and xbox will take back the crown whenever they decide to release a next-gen console.

It's cringy at times.
DF has been full meltdown since the ps5 pro has been announced. This whole year they bashed even the very notion. Look at videos from them just a view years ago. They used to be so much happier and proffesional.

The console war is over yet they are still deep in the trenches.

Oliver has such bizarre takes that @Maximilian_Dood starts to sound like fanboy pushing back them. Those takes and the data presented clearly don't match.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Xbox is to big go make good decisions anymore. The way these huge corpos work prohibit good choices

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
DF has been full meltdown since the ps5 pro has been announced. This whole year they bashed even the very notion. Look at videos from them just a view years ago. They used to be so much happier and proffesional.

Oliver has such bizarre takes that @Maximilian_Dood starts to sound like fanboy pushing back them. Those takes and the data presented clearly don't match.

I mean, what would anyone expect from a PRO console refresh? more storage + bettre frame rates and RT effects + the upscaling.

This is a pretty decent upgrate when you consider that a decent PS GPU can cost more all by itself (and you can pay a part of it by selling your existing PS5).

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Xbox is to big go make good decisions anymore. The way these huge corpos work prohibit good choices
If you burn 70+ Billions on Accquisitions, the Shareholders will expect Results.

Being the laughing stock of the Gaming World and also last place is not cutting it anymore.

Reactions: rofif

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

The difference between Mr. Dood and myself is that it isn't just 1 game. It's almost every game.

Almost every game I've played on PS5 has had a performance mode and a fidelity mode. I've hated having to choose from day 1. Despite that most people choose performance mode and despite that its the default on most games, I think fidelity mode is the official mode. It's consistent with what we've seen in games for the last few generations.

At this point I think you should just get rid of 30 fps mode so that you have a standardized generational feel. Too many people will willfully compare how games look at 60 fps and 30 fps across different generations as if the game on the new generation isn't doubling the frame rate...

Mr. Dood actually tries to downplay the PS5 Pro suggesting it'll only be worth it for this game and that PC will still be better, while ignoring that most people playing on PC have PCs worse than PS5 let alone PS5 Pro...

As for Mr. Dood's commentary on the marketing... I don't agree. You were always going to be largely limited to early adopters, but you're also going to simply have people who have the money who are willing to pay more between SKUs. The PS5 Pro doesn't need to sell 10 million units on day 1. GTA6 isn't out yet, Ghost of Yotei, Death Stranding 2 isn't out yet, but when they do come out, do you know what everyone is going to be talking about? How these games run better on PS5 Pro.

He's conflating the desire to see new games with Sony's need to market and promote the PS5 Pro ahead of launch. We all knew that there wouldn't be a major franchise AAA game releasing this fiscal year, so the idea that Sony was going to show something at length for launch simply never added up. We're lucky we saw Ghost when we saw it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I mean, what would anyone expect from a PRO console refresh? more storage + bettre frame rates and RT effects + the upscaling.

This is a pretty decent upgrate when you consider that a decent PS GPU can cost more all by itself (and you can pay a part of it by selling your existing PS5).

People don't like the price tag, but they've yet to make a value argument as to how it isn't "worth" the price given.

I feel bad for some people in other regions who are paying a lot more, but the 700 dollars seems right on the money for what the PS5 Pro gives you.

If you're upgrading you can easily get 300 dollars for an old PS5 and if you're a first time buyer, you have to ask yourself if the extra 250 dollars is worth not playing games at 30 fps or with degraded IQ.

For an upgrade that's an additional 100 dollars per year for the next 4 years if the PS6 comes out in 2028, though the PS5 Pro will have a better trade in value for the PS6 than the base PS5, so let's call it a 300 dollar upgrade. That's 75 dollars a year or 6.25 per month.

For first time buyers, you're looking at 250, but again higher trade in value, so let's call it 150. That's 37.50 a year for better frame rates and resolutions. Or 3.13 a month...

Again, it's laughable how much people want to scoff at the sticker price and I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening with the Switch 2 is revealed.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster