Jason Schreier: "Xbox is such a mess right now, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. They're talking about teasing handheld now."

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
IMG-4569.jpg

Sure buddy
Lmao where did you refute the evidence that Gen alpha and Z prefer consoles?

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I don't feel sad. You reap what you sow.
If you take away the sm trolls, then XB (the brand) have been ok this gen, MS just lacks the leadership talent to capitalize on it, and that mostly due to them not being an entertainment company.

They should just go full 3rd party and drop hardware next gen in my opinion.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
then XB (the brand) have been ok this gen

How? Serious question.

They botched multiplatform development and even more their own studios with mandating support for a potato console.

They introduced an all-you-can-eat service which led to changes in user spending behavior, causing huge pressure to their own studios + other publishers skipping the platform until they got a GP deal.

They still have barely any first party releases, and I'm not even talking about the sub-par quality of them, even though they spent 90B in acquisitions.

And finally, I think as the brand of a platform holder there is barely a bigger failure than having to put your games elsewhere to stay relevant.

Amin_Parker

26 Jun 2024
Saitama
linktr.ee
【I want to make a disclaimer before I make my point. I want to be very respectful, humble and honest when I say this about the Xbox brand. I don’t mean any offense or disrespect to the Xbox brand or Microsoft as a company when I say this.】

What Microsoft needs to do is be more like Nintendo. Stop trying to be like Sony by chasing the high end console market because it doesn’t work for Microsoft. What I mean by being more like Nintendo, is that Microsoft needs to be more innovative. What did Nintendo do when their backs were against the wall? they came out with an innovation based around motion controls, known as the Wii. The next time Nintendo found their backs against the wall, they release the Switch, both of those consoles are going down in history in a positive way. when we’re talking about units sold within a particular generation the Wii and the Switch are legends that sits among the Nintendo DS , PS1, PS2 and PS4. My point is that Nintendo isn’t afraid to innovate, even when they fall flat on their face, they bounce back towards victory because the courage to innovate lives within Nintendo’s blood. If Microsoft was more innovative and released brand new gameplay concepts by way of hardware or controller input they would be fine. they also need to bring some kid friendly franchises to their 1st party portfolio. The overall image of Xbox is terrible all throughout Asia. The Xbox is more of a military shooter mature audience platform. The perception of Xbox is really terrible. They don’t even have any first party JRPGs. In my humble opinion, The Microsoft Xbox brand is a brand that is suffering far more than any brand that I’ve ever seen in the history of this industry. In my own humble opinion, Xbox is in a worse position from an console brand image standpoint than the Atari Jaguar and Sega Saturn. This is just my opinion though but I do see the Xbox brand as being in a more worse position than the Jaguar and the Saturn. I’m not even trying to be funny or hyperbolic or console warring but I just don’t see anything positive about this brand anymore. No wonder it’s been failing over in Asia for many generations.

This company doesn’t have any first party franchises that resembles the look of Japanese animation. Nothing that resembles dragon quest or Dragon Ball Z, or Naruto, Microsoft don’t have any franchises that resembles the legend of Zelda or Pokémon. I don’t see any colorful franchises other than Minecraft. And I’m only talking from a first party standpoint. They need to go all in on handhelds. They need to meet Nintendo face-to-face and challenged them , Microsoft needs to stop trying to challenge Sony in the high end Super Duper powerful graphics top end console market. Most gamers in that market just don’t trust Microsoft Xbox . I also think that they don’t really stand a chance against Nintendo, but Microsoft have to do something Because what their doing isn’t working.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Microsoft needs to be more innovative
When Hell freezes over. Microsoft has a corporate culture that is the antithesis of creativity and innovation.
All they have ever done, especially their most successful products, is aping something someone else has done better.
They would rather invest time and money on propaganda, political leverage, and anti-competitive buyouts than simply working on their own products.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
【I want to make a disclaimer before I make my point. I want to be very respectful, humble and honest when I say this about the Xbox brand. I don’t mean any offense or disrespect to the Xbox brand or Microsoft as a company when I say this.】

What Microsoft needs to do is be more like Nintendo. Stop trying to be like Sony by chasing the high end console market because it doesn’t work for Microsoft. What I mean by being more like Nintendo, is that Microsoft needs to be more innovative. What did Nintendo do when their backs were against the wall? they came out with an innovation based around motion controls, known as the Wii. The next time Nintendo found their backs against the wall, they release the Switch, both of those consoles are going down in history in a positive way. when we’re talking about units sold within a particular generation the Wii and the Switch are legends that sits among the Nintendo DS , PS1, PS2 and PS4. My point is that Nintendo isn’t afraid to innovate, even when they fall flat on their face, they bounce back towards victory because the courage to innovate lives within Nintendo’s blood. If Microsoft was more innovative and released brand new gameplay concepts by way of hardware or controller input they would be fine. they also need to bring some kid friendly franchises to their 1st party portfolio. The overall image of Xbox is terrible all throughout Asia. The Xbox is more of a military shooter mature audience platform. The perception of Xbox is really terrible. They don’t even have any first party JRPGs. In my humble opinion, The Microsoft Xbox brand is a brand that is suffering far more than any brand that I’ve ever seen in the history of this industry. In my own humble opinion, Xbox is in a worse position from an console brand image standpoint than the Atari Jaguar and Sega Saturn. This is just my opinion though but I do see the Xbox brand as being in a more worse position than the Jaguar and the Saturn. I’m not even trying to be funny or hyperbolic or console warring but I just don’t see anything positive about this brand anymore. No wonder it’s been failing over in Asia for many generations.

This company doesn’t have any first party franchises that resembles the look of Japanese animation. Nothing that resembles dragon quest or Dragon Ball Z, or Naruto, Microsoft don’t have any franchises that resembles the legend of Zelda or Pokémon. I don’t see any colorful franchises other than Minecraft. And I’m only talking from a first party standpoint. They need to go all in on handhelds. They need to meet Nintendo face-to-face and challenged them , Microsoft needs to stop trying to challenge Sony in the high end Super Duper powerful graphics top end console market. Most gamers in that market just don’t trust Microsoft Xbox . I also think that they don’t really stand a chance against Nintendo, but Microsoft have to do something Because what their doing isn’t working.
i'mma let you finish but before you go on your long rant

microsoft just needs to get the fuck out of gaming, they're not a gaming company, they're not an entertainment company, they have no idea what it takes to be one and they don't want to learn

• haha
Reactions: Puff and KvallyX

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Xbox would not be the first Big Investment to shutdown, by Microsoft.

They have Shutdown Mixer.
They have Shutdown Nokia.
They have Shutdown Windows Phone.
They have Shutdown Zune.

Surely more, i don't think of right now...

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom

They have Shutdown Zune.

Their audio, DSS80
Their Broadband Networking Routers
Their Kinect
Their MSN/TV Web
Their Media Center Connector
Their Microsoft Spot Watch
Their Kin Phones
Their fitness band

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
With no Vita successor there’s a clear need for a stronger handheld. Whoever releases it first gets the W.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024

They have Shutdown Zune.

The problem is they're gonna have a huge backlash when they do shut it down because they empowered a whole cottage industry of shitposters, trolls, hideous middle aged podcasters, and media outlets for over 20 years. MS clearly cares about it's PR image, otherwise Satya would have already fired Phil and turned into a full third party publisher.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
The problem is they're gonna have a huge backlash when they do shut it down because they empowered a whole cottage industry of shitposters, trolls, hideous middle aged podcasters, and media outlets for over 20 years. MS clearly cares about it's PR image, otherwise Satya would have already fired Phil and turned into a full third party publisher.
This is what happens, if you turn yourself into a bargain pit for chronically online individuals, which want to pay next to nothing for your service, yet also are entitled like no tomorrow!

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

You'r not quite seeing the big picture.

They're eventually going to shutdown hardware, but they still want to promote a platform so they can get royalties and they still want GamePass subscriptions.

Future hardware will be less driven by Xbox specifically, but you'll still have these loyalist stick with them as long as they have access to GamePass, their digital libraries, and potentially access to their physical libraries, not to mention their friends lists and achievements.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
They're eventually going to shutdown hardware, but they still want to promote a platform so they can get royalties and they still want GamePass subscriptions.

Future hardware will be less driven by Xbox specifically, but you'll still have these loyalist stick with them as long as they have access to GamePass, their digital libraries, and potentially access to their physical libraries, not to mention their friends lists and achievements.
Most of their Subscribers are Xbox Players, though.

If Xbox dies, Gamepass dies.

Their transition to Firesticks and the Cloud hasn't moved the needle in any meaningful volume, so far.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Xbox is less of a priority than gamepass on Windows storefronts. And this is because the Xbox project has already failed. They’re third party but Microsoft will still try to compete against steam and focus on their pc marketplace and all those supported devices (which will include their next console no on wants).

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters