Jeff Grubb: Hermen Hulst is now the man running Bungie, set to lose it's autonomy

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Also, they attempted to soften the blow by sending many people from Bungie into SIE instead of just cutting them. I thought the number of jobs lost was going to be closer to 350.

I'll put it as far as I know, which isn't everything by a long shot: In time, Bungie will lose its autonomy and will become like any other PlayStation Worldwide Studio under SIE and Herman Hulst.

And by "in time," I just mean that this is a process that is starting now. But it is happening.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I mean, that goes without saying. Hermen is in charge of SIE and if Bungie is going to progressively get integrated under SIE proper, he's going to be overseeing them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: CrackmanNL

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Hulst in charge

New Year Omg GIF by JustViral

• haha
Reactions: Umar

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Well on the plus side they atleast tried to keep as many people as they could instead of what the green team did and put in little effort and barely keep any.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
YIKES... Well Bungie will be in indefinite development hell as of now with his shit leadership skills.

Reactions: toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

That is great if true.
best news I've heard about Bungie in the last 3 years
I mean, that goes without saying. Hermen is in charge of SIE and if Bungie is going to progressively get integrated under SIE proper, he's going to be overseeing them.

This is old news, it's something oficially announced some time ago when they announced the two CEOs.

Bungie already is integrated under SIE, it's a fully owned SIE subsidiary since January 2022, when Sony bought the 100% of Bungie.

So when Jim Ryan was the SIE CEO, both PS Studios and Bungie reported to him because they are fully owned SIE subsidiaries.

Now the SIE CEO in charge of their first party stuff is Hermen, so both PS Studios and Bungie report to him. Since he became SIE CEO he leads the new SIE Studio Business Group, which includes PS Studios and Bungie.

Jeff Grubb: Hermen Hulst is now the man running Bungie, set to lose it's autonomy​

Hermen became SIE's CEO replacing Jim Ryan.

So, as a fully owned subsidiary Bungie now reports to Hermen instead of to Jim.

That doesn't mean Bungie will lose autonomy, like any other SIE owned dev studio they'll continue having creative freedom and in their case they'll continue publishing under the Bungie label releasing all their stuff day one everywhere.

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Yep, he was already on the board of Bungie as well, Jim Ryan was not gonna get himself played like Activision and MS in the past after spending that money. Them opening office/studio in Amsterdam is highly likely due to Hermen as well.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ohhhhh I said Grubb is only guessing and the next twitter I read.
Seems like it is Bungie leadership decision not Hermen Hulst (Sony).

Don't believe in everything Grubb write on twitter or talk in a video... he do clockwork... throw a lot of obvious guesses trying to be right some times.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Hermen is kind of controversial but at least Bungie is now under Sony. No more messing around. Even 850 employees for 1 game sounds too much 😬

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yep, he was already on the board of Bungie as well, Jim Ryan was not gonna get himself played like Activision and MS in the past after spending that money. Them opening office/studio in Amsterdam is highly likely due to Hermen as well.
Bungie is a fully owned SIE subsidiary since the acquisition, so Bungie reports to the SIE CEO since was acquired.

And Hermen is the CEO of SIE, replacing Jim. So since the moment Hermen became CEO Bungie nows reports to him.

Bungie's Amsterdam office only handles publishing and marketing and was open in February 2021, a year before they announced the acquisition. I highly doubt Hermen has nothing to do with it.

Hermen is kind of controversial but at least Bungie is now under Sony. No more messing around. Even 850 employees for 1 game sounds too much 😬
Two IPs, Destiny and Marathon, including games and cinema/tv adaptations.

In case of Destiny, very likely in addition to Destiny 2 they are also working on Destiny 3. Plus other projects being incubated.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Hermen would mesh well with Pete Parsons.
He's on yachts and Pete is bidding one used cars at an incredible rate.
My dude has spent $2.4M on just one vintage car website and his first winning bid was in 2022.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yeah we are going to get Concord Part II aren't we?
Yuh I don’t trust Herman. He green lighted the acquisition of Firewalk & Concord & is releasing Horizon albeit Lego on a direct competitor. You couldn’t expand horizon without Lego? Nintendo expands & make spin off of there ip like Paper Mario etc & it’s exclusive to Nintendo consoles

Fully expect Destiny 3 to release on PS & PC only aswell as the new Bungie studio unless it’s a singleplayer I expect that to be “exclusive” to PS6. Honestly Marathon Xbox version should get canned after the horrible numbers from Xbox Sony is just paying development time on a platform that’s dying/shrinking.