Jez Corden: Next Xbox Generation Will Be A “Reference Design” for Manufacturers to Make Their Own Devices –

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Jez’s copium has been something to behold for sure.

I’ve been following timdog… and tbh? He’s actually sounding reasonable. Good for him calling out all of Phil’s bullshit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Seriously, some of you here might have a better understanding of this. What's the point of making more hardware, regardless of what it is? Who would it be for? PC players won't care for it and console players will see it as more of a PC, which again they won't care for it.

It's the Steambox all over again. A device for no one because it's neither here nor there.
Steamboxes are not a reference for anything(they were released at a time gaming on Linux just wasnt viable), think Steam Deck instead.

To MS this is ideal, a gaming flavored Windows with gamepad UI has been a huge omission.

They have nothing to lose as well since Xbox in the current format is dead, at least this way they save money and force more people into Windows and their shitty store.

Green rats are going to lineup to buy this shit, there are suckers out there still.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
RE has most people seeing through MS BS but a few, like Mr Evil 37, are still in the "SonyToo" copium. I heard, more than once, "I'm going down with this ship from some of them. Their entire life and personality is tied to a piece of plastic. And now the only thing keepiong them sane is the hope that somehow, Sony will release games on Xbox.

I know some of you read through here. Newsflash: It's not happening.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
It's certainly only going to be a Windows PC, Microsoft has practically given up on consoles

19 May 2024
I've expected for Microsoft to kill the Xbox Brand since the Xbox One Era (And according to Phil, they actually almost did, but his insistence on Gamepass made Microsoft change their minds...for now.) But with the way they're going now, I expect Microsoft to go full Sega and just be a Third Party Publisher. If the Xbox One is Microsoft's Sega Saturn, then Xbox Series X/S will be their Dreamcast, and then nothing after.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I've expected for Microsoft to kill the Xbox Brand since the Xbox One Era (And according to Phil, they actually almost did, but his insistence on Gamepass made Microsoft change their minds...for now.) But with the way they're going now, I expect Microsoft to go full Sega and just be a Third Party Publisher. If the Xbox One is Microsoft's Sega Saturn, then Xbox Series X/S will be their Dreamcast, and then nothing after.
It will be their 3DO, but due to their Windows business it migth be just what is best for them. Xbox was always a mistake. The 20+ years of Xbox is the reason Valve was able to completelly dominate a market anyone would assume would naturally go to MS.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Seriously, some of you here might have a better understanding of this. What's the point of making more hardware, regardless of what it is? Who would it be for? PC players won't care for it and console players will see it as more of a PC, which again they won't care for it.

It's the Steambox all over again. A device for no one because it's neither here nor there.
They want to keep the gamepass subs and Xbox live revenue as much as possible without incurring hardware costs and while shipping their games everywhere.

Trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Idas from the Activision thread is still giving them hope MS is playing 4D Chess to be able to buy more publishers + Steam 🤦‍♂️

- Estimated Console Gaming Market by 2030 (data from December 2023): USD 34.09 Billion
- Estimated Global Mobile Gaming Market by 2030 (data from early 2024): USD $195 Billion
- Estimated PC Games Market by 2030 (data from November 2023): USD 359 Billion

By 2030, MS expects that gaming revenue should be at $36 Billion (according to the FTC leak).

If the long term plan is "Make as much money as possible", console is not an option. PC, mobile, cloud, console and other channels are the real options going beyond.

In that scenario, I think that a long term play (2030) could be:

- Go 100% multiplatform (no more legal issues about exclusivity in the future).

- "Xbox PCs" built by MS and others manufacturers (no more legal issues about closed ecosystems in the future).

- Allow every potential store on those "Xbox PCs" (less legal issues about walled gardens in the future).

- M&A to acquire new blockbusters and high impact games/IPs (less legal issues about exclusivity because you want everything multiplatform in the future).

- M&A to acquire a successful PC gaming store (Steam, Epic, GOG, etc) to get a cut from third party sales (depending on the target I see more trouble here, but if everything else has been achieved by then, it could be done because MS would just be another player, although a very big one).

In that scenario third party support is kind of irrelevant.

Even the fees from third party sales are less important in that case, because in the short term you would make a ton of money from multiplatform games and in the mid-long term you will add to that the fees from your mobile, PC and console (if there is still one) stores.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Steam would be smart to license its OS for free to as many 3rd party mfgs as possible/willing for the 2-3 years that they have before microsoft comes in with their handheld. They need to make the handheld environment as much a bastion against windows as possible.