Jim Ryan On Gamepass: Microsoft has tried the first path and it did not work at all

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Publisher's views on value are in conflict with gamers. Value protection for them involves preorders, special editions, in game transactions, elimination of the used market, etc.

But to me Gamepass is also a bad deal. I've spent the last 2 months playing Baldurs Gate exclusively. I don't actually want a buffet of MS-selected titles. I have my own buffet, which is my Steam backlog. They don't charge me not to play them unlike Game Pass.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
The problem is Xbox put all of their chip in for sub service making it their main course and hoping the rest of the industry would throw out the current traditional business model of selling games and instead join in with them. That's not what happening. The rest of the game industry has been treating sub services as a freaking side gig.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
GamePass subscribers are trending upward though.
MS mentioned that for GP PC, where they often have free trial months in multiple places. The total GP subs count, when also counting console and mobile, is stuck at 25M since a lot of time ago. They even stopped reporting the GP subs numbers.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
GamePass subscribers are trending upward though.
The number of subscribers has stagnated for well over a year now.
Also from a consumer standpoint I do not care how developers view the value proposition.
Well, sure... they will not need to make their games available on the service, or the games that end up on the service will reflect the real value it can afford.

Sub par games with prelaunch access for a premium price.

I'm not sure there is value for anyone in gamepass.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Phil said Game Pass didn't go up at all between Jan 2022 to October 2022 after Activision was announced (stuck at 25 millions).

Since then there was nothing besides Starfield.
Phil also said gamepass prices wouldnt increase after the Activision acquisition closed changed his tune now though because it was clearly bullshit & all he is is a PR guy so people can say look at good guy Phil while the company he works for destroys gaming

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I said the same years ago.

It is set to destroy de gaming industry and most publishers in the process.

Even the so called consumer value is a lie to mask the issues… because consumer will get worst games with lower quality and focused in recover the money from GAAS.

It is extreme dangerous to consumers in the long term.
What they're going to get is the mobile game template ads & monetization up the arse & they're all cheering for it like good little sheep

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Publisher's views on value are in conflict with gamers. Value protection for them involves preorders, special editions, in game transactions, elimination of the used market, etc.

But to me Gamepass is also a bad deal. I've spent the last 2 months playing Baldurs Gate exclusively. I don't actually want a buffet of MS-selected titles. I have my own buffet, which is my Steam backlog. They don't charge me not to play them unlike Game Pass.
Activision are disgusting there's no world where cod wouldn't make a good profit at £60 they increased it purely to satisfy their infinite growth targets & I wish people would've called them out on it

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I got it from a google search.

If GamePass is so terrible and benign then this guy wouldn’t feel the need to speak on it as CEO. Clearly they’re worried.
Of course they’re worried. The publishers Are also worried.
No one wants to be a hostage to this shitty service.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

It has like 200 games, most are shovelware or reqlly old bargain bin titles. Nobody realistically has the time to play all that.

Even with PS Plus all i really care about is thr classic catalogue (i would prefer if we had more ps2 games).

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
MS mentioned that for GP PC, where they often have free trial months in multiple places. The total GP subs count, when also counting console and mobile, is stuck at 25M since a lot of time ago. They even stopped reporting the GP subs numbers.
Fair. I looked at a chart but it stops at January ‘22.

Is a 2 years a long time ago?

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Phil also said gamepass prices wouldnt increase after the Activision acquisition closed changed his tune now though because it was clearly bullshit & all he is is a PR guy so people can say look at good guy Phil while the company he works for destroys gaming
It's not just Phil. MS have always been con artists, always will be.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fair. I looked at a chart but it stops at January ‘22.

Is a 2 years a long time ago?
Well, not sure if it's 'a long time ago', but yes I meant since January 2022.

But they seem to be stuck there. After that they removed many $1 deals and tricks to upgrade cheaper, merged Gold into GP and rised the price to get more revenue from GP, hoping that a supposed Starfield related bump would compensate the people they may lose for doing that.

Reactions: BroodCorp