Jimquisition scores (the brilliant) Dragons Dogma 2 A 3/10 and drops the metacritic by 2 points... Is that fair?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm very weary about taking away someone's weight (lol, that would really benefit Jim, lol) because there is legitimately going to be someone out there that just doesn't gel with an otherwise universally beloved game but if his review has outright mis-statements in it, which I think is the case this time, then it should be un-weighted and repeat infractions of that rule, which Jim also has, should result in his reviews being unlisted.

And besides, he's not even a real reviewer anymore, he's a gaming culture youtuber.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Syndr0mePK

10 Jan 2024
The score is terrible but not the criticisms as someone who just finished a 70 hour playthrough.

For me the game is a 7/10, and i don’t really understand the really high praise. I’m actually convinced a lot of reviewers didn’t finish the game cause the back half of it seriously feels rushed
Review copies, at least for small and mid sized sites, dont go out until the very last 4-5 days before release. Not enough time to fully play it. Most of them rush through bigger games imo.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Review copies, at least for small and mid sized sites, dont go out until the very last 4-5 days before release. Not enough time to fully play it. Most of them rush through bigger games imo.

I also think a lot of people that reviewed it were also previewing/reviewing rise of the ronin

• sad

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Eh, 85 total MC score is fair for DD2 - it's a great score and better than game of the generation Starfield. Sterling's review balances out several of the bogus 100 scores from shill and sham websites.

This is kind of where i land with it, their score is bullshit but it makes the MC score more accurate in the end. I’d say it could even stand to go a bit lower

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
These are all six of the 100/100 scored reviews of DD2 on PS5. They are just as stupid as Sterling's but they also waste your time with many more words and over the top cringy praise. At least Sterling's review made me chuckle at points. Meanwhile, Eurogamer straight up lies and claim it massively improves the DD1 mechanics. Moreover, they all either downplay or outright ignore the awful performance issues.

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
These are all six of the 100/100 scored reviews of DD2 on PS5. They are just as stupid as Sterling's but they also waste your time with many more words and over the top cringy praise. At least Sterling's review made me chuckle at points. Meanwhile, Eurogamer straight up lies and claim it massively improves the DD1 mechanics. Moreover, they all either downplay or outright ignore the awful performance issues.

yeah no way this is a 100 out of 100 game. 80/100 at best. Reviewers glazed the fuck out of this game and i have no idea why.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
stop putting so much stock into metacritic

james stephanie sterling can give this game whatever score she wants, just like you or I can
That far weirdo needs to have his credentials revoked.
what credentials?
Do you think they review in good faith? I don't.
she likes to shit on games sometimes. helldivers 2 for instance? couldn't complete a single run. bad score.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
She/they/them/Phanie should be delisted from Metacritic asap. Helldivers 2 was a red flag. I don't know why Metacritic didn't act at all after that shit review.

we all know why, xbox went the whole of feb and nearly whole of march without any game of consequence and this released the same day as ronin
There's definitely something weird going on with the reviews of both games. Ronin should be the 85 (since they loved Nioh enough to give it 88 and this is open-world Nioh) and DD2 should be under 80.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Prior to her transition, Sterling was already showing signs of deteriorating mental health. Sadly, it seems to be getting even worse since.

I think people shouldn't take her reviews as insightful in the slightest.

That the metacritic of a game was dropped by one poor review just shows how broken meta/opencritic are and how easy to manipulate the metascore is.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Prior to her transition, Sterling was already showing signs of deteriorating mental health. Sadly, it seems to be getting even worse since.

I think people shouldn't take her reviews as insightful in the slightest.

That the metacritic of a game was dropped by one poor review just shows how broken meta/opencritic are and how easy to manipulate the metascore is.
You are so Woke!

Angry Season Two GIF by Vulture.com

• haha
Reactions: Old Gamer

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

yeah no way this is a 100 out of 100 game. 80/100 at best. Reviewers glazed the fuck out of this game and i have no idea why.

Its clear some people just wanted this game to be this years Elden Ring.

The way people were talking aobut how this is the most important rpg and blah blah blah…foh

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The score is terrible but not the criticisms as someone who just finished a 70 hour playthrough.

For me the game is a 7/10, and i don’t really understand the really high praise. I’m actually convinced a lot of reviewers didn’t finish the game cause the back half of it seriously feels rushed
I only just made it to the desert city behind the border. Did a ton of stuff there too along the way.

So far, I enjoy fighting but it gets repetitive.
I enjoy exploration but there are no rewards aside from your inventory getting full of crap.
And I mostly do caves and exploration alongside main road and what I find along the way.

There should be more qol. Inventory is nonsense. If there is a magical storage box might just as well let me have it. Or at the very least share the storage box. It only shares upgrade materials.

The quests and story are nothing burger. I like how quests have different outcomes. My friend also plays and he did totally different with Harve and Malve. And we had different urlika outcomes.
But the story flows randomly. feels like stuff somehow happens. I go to a castle and sometimes I get attacked and sometimes not. I can run straight past the guards and they don’t react. Same with gaol. They get angry at random.

There are not enough weapons. As a warrior I am only on my 3rd weapon after 24 hours. You just buy the most expensive weapon at blacksmith.

That said it’s hard to put the game down. It’s variability is unique and combat is great.

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
TBH the media seems to have colluded to try to boost this game up because it's a multiplat and they're jealous of how tremendous Playstation's releases have been so far. The metascore tricked one of my friends into buying it and he's already looking for other games to play -_-

• they're_right_you_know