Just a reminder that if FFXVI doesn't sell 3m+ copies within its release week on PC it means it underperformed and did not meet expectations

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It launched for 50 dollars and is still below Warhammer... on Steam We'll see if that changes, but not the start I'd want. Warhammer has been out a week+ already and is 60 dollars.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I wonder why they think PC + Xbox versions would change much. JRPGs as a genre are simply dominated by Playstation and Nintendo as of now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
Any source of SE saying that if the PC version must sell 3M+ copies to meet their expectations and that to sell under that would be to underperform? Or is it just out of your ass?

he is just being sarcastic to make fun of pc/xbox fans that used to say FF16 flopped on ps5 and that it would need to be multiplat to sell good

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Supposedly the game needs PC to be profitable after the largest anti PS-exclusivity ever. We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is but it's not looking good 😬

The new Square CEO actually believed these parasites 🤣

Are journalists going to report on these numbers and say PC is dead?

OP
OP
C
11 Jul 2024

It's not looking good for this port.

Of course it's an odd hour for gaming... But still.

Eh that's not my point, it just released give it some time. But if it performs the same or worse than PS5 within the same timeframe (6 days from PS5 release until the sales tweet), then yes, it means it underperformed and that it hasn't met SE's expectations.

PC players boast they can wait years for a port, they want to play it on their high end PC with 4k 120hz and mod support. They also get the full package with all DLC for $20 cheaper than PS5. They also blamed the "slow adoption" of the PS5 which sold just under 50m units I believe by this time last year, so with Steam having around ~130m active users per month and Epic Games with who knows how many as well, there shouldn't be a problem selling over double what PS5 managed in a week, right?

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I wonder why they think PC + Xbox versions would change much. JRPGs as a genre are simply dominated by Playstation and Nintendo as of now.

Square Enix is delusional.

Releasing on PC and Xbox isn't going to save them, it's fine in theory, but releasing games that your core fans want is the real answer.

I'm a MASSIVE Square Enix fan historically. Look at my avatar. I've been rocking this or similar since the late 90s.

I bought FF7 Remake, but it's the only Japanese Square Enix game I've played outsid of remasters since 2009. 2009!

Look at Pokemon and Persona... evidence that turn based still sells and that you don't even need massive budgets.

The last time Square Enix put out a turned based RPG to critical praise, they didn't even release it on PlayStation for years... until no one cared about it anymore. Nearly 6 years for Octopath Traveler to hit PlayStation... 3 years after it hit Xbox and no one bought it there.

Dragon Quest IX never went to PlayStation.

Gaming is expensive, what's even more expensive is dividing your fanbase across multiple platforms but then hoping that your games sell on individual platforms...

Square Enix needs to help rebuild the JRPG fanbase on PlayStation and actually put out some turn based JRPGs, not knock off God of War...

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Seems to be over 1k now.

I'm not gonna get the champagne out yet.
PS5 doing 2-3 million in a few days vs... just a few thousand playing on steam? I have been saying if you exclude Nintendo, 80-90% of all JRPG players are on Playstation. Up until the switch, you were doing yourself a disservice not owning a PS if you love the genre. PC gamers are useful when it comes to GAAS, and WRPG games.

There's a reason why it was easy for Sony to make exclusive deals with SE, as far as high end JRPGs go, PS has by far the largest pool of buyers.

OP
OP
C
11 Jul 2024
PS5 doing 2-3 million in a few days vs... just a few thousand playing on steam? I have been saying if you exclude Nintendo, 80-90% of all JRPG players are on Playstation. Up until the switch, you were doing yourself a disservice not owning a PS if you love the genre. PC gamers are useful when it comes to GAAS, and WRPG games.

There's a reason why it was easy for Sony to make exclusive deals with SE, as far as high end JRPGs go, PS has by far the largest pool of buyers.
All the while the game on PS5 sold for $20 more, don't forget it also had Physical Deluxe edition and the Collector's edition which costs more than double the base price. PC doesn't even have those for the extra revenue.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75