Kojima claims everyone was against him opening his own studio

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
After the release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, director Hideo Kojima ended up leaving Konami due to disagreements with the company, deciding to create his own studio, Kojima Productions.

The developer has already released its first game from its new studio, Death Stranding, and is now working on a sequel with Sony, in addition to the new OD horror franchise with Microsoft.

The reason why I am independent and advocate a life-long career is because for me, "creating things" is no longer a job. That's why there is no retirement. Creating things is living. One more thing. In the game industry, there are very few people who have succeeded in becoming independent from a major game production studio, whether in Japan or abroad. Even eight years ago, when I started my own company, I was opposed by everyone, including my peers, colleagues, and relatives, who said, "It will never work!”. They said it was impossible without the financial and organizational strength of a company. However, someone must prove that that is an old-fashioned way of thinking. Young creators must be given freedom of choice. This is one of the reasons why I continue to "create things”.

However, Kojima considers this an 'old-fashioned way of thinking'. His goal was to prove that these claims are not real and to show that developers can follow their own path. Talking about one day retiring, Kojima states that this is not part of his plans. For him, development is not just a job, but also his life, and he hopes to continue doing this until the end.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He basically is big enough to have somebody big like Sony to fund him.

That is not an option for most game designers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
...I mean...

Didn't PlayStation literally fund his studio and let him use Decima for free?
Yeap the support he has is not others will have.
He basically has a free pass in most things from big publishers.

I’m not saying that as a bad thing… he worked hard and got the status he has today… he deserved it.

But the idea of creating it own studio is easier for him that has blind support from big publishers… others less know designers won’t have the same luck.

His complain for being hard is out of place because for others is probably 10, 100 times harder.

Reactions: Entropi

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
This guy is full of shite.

Still evil Konami going for his ass narrative? Fuck off.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Him doing an exclusive with MS does not sit well with me at all. I would like to find out more about exactly what that was (is it a mobile game?). I think it's kind of lame to turn your back on the platform where most of your audience is at if it just end up being a regular Xbox game.

Reactions: Dabaus

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Him doing an exclusive with MS does not sit well with me at all. I would like to find out more about exactly what that was. I think it's kind of lame to turn your back on the platform where most of your audience is at.

I don't get how Sony is so lenient with their partners, I doubt Nintendo would put up with stuff like this. Maybe Sony is done with Kojima fter DS2?
I don’t think that was the case.
Overdrive is one of his crazy ideias and Sony didn’t want to fund it (they are already funding DS2 btw).

Microsoft is desperation agreed to any Kojima’s
crazy ideia… so it turn out that MS was the only publisher to support this ideia.

Don’t take the blame on him imo… I should do the same… if I had an eccentric idea and try to find a partner and at the end only one accept to support it I will go with that partner 🤷‍♂️

BTW he said it is not a game at all but more an interactive movie.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Him doing an exclusive with MS does not sit well with me at all. I would like to find out more about exactly what that was (is it a mobile game?). I think it's kind of lame to turn your back on the platform where most of your audience is at if it just end up being a regular Xbox game.
Reportedly, Sony told him "no" on this one and MS said yes both JUST to get a Kojima game and because they think it will help push Cloud somehow.

That being said, this game is still beyond vaporware.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Reportedly, Sony told him "no" on this one and MS said yes both JUST to get a Kojima game and because they think it will help push Cloud somehow.

That being said, this game is still beyond vaporware.
I thought this game was originally meant to be his Stadia game but that fell apart?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I dunno, all I remember reading was reports that supposedly this is something Sony said no to. Not saying he took it STRAIGHT to Xbox, but that's why they said yes.
This game is the one Sony refused the pitch for and Stadia acquired. Once the stadia fell down, he pitched it to Microsoft as well and they decided they wanted it.

• Informative
Reactions: Swolf712

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony wanted a traditional AAA game from him. Hence, they decided not to fund OD.
Death Stranding 2 will be little different from the original game as Sony is pushing for going bigger and mainstream with the sequel.

For Kojima, he still wants to experiment. Hence why desperate Microsoft is a good partner in this case.

• thinking_hard

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony wanted a traditional AAA game from him. Hence, they decided not to fund OD.
Death Stranding 2 will be little different from the original game as Sony is pushing for going bigger and mainstream with the sequel.

For Kojima, he still wants to experiment. Hence why desperate Microsoft is a good partner in this case.
I think MS probably just did it for the bragging rights of having a Kojima game, since no platform was stated in the announcement I'm assuming it's a cloud powered mobile game that won't benefit the Series in any way.

If Sony actually rejected the game as some here are saying than the odds are against it being traditional in any way. I don't think MS is well suited to work with Kojima he is the type of guy you don't give a blank check to.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think MS probably just did it for the bragging rights of having a Kojima game, since no platform was stated in the announcement I'm assuming it's a cloud powered mobile game that won't benefit the Series in any way.

If Sony actually rejected the game as some here are saying than the odds are against it being traditional in any way. I don't think MS is well suited to work with Kojima he is the type of guy you don't give a blank check to.
There was an insider rumor last year that said Sony rejected a game by him and encouraged him to do big mainstream AAA game which turned out to be DS2. I can see that rumor is real.

Microsoft is very desperate, they would accept anything from Kojima. They will be ok with a real time render of his diarrhea shit caused by a spicy contaminated Sushi.