Kotaku senior reporter on Concord budget: "$400 million is not the number I've heard"

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
staph taking about me. and address the issue at hand.

Sony spent 3.6B for Bungie's expertise to expressly avoid cluster fucks like this.

people are fighting over 150-400M disaster..when is closer to a 5Billion shit show

let that sink in

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Sony spent 3.6B for Bungie's expertise to expressly avoid cluster fucks like this.

people are fighting over 150-400M disaster..when is closer to a 5Billion shit show

let that sink in

A lot of people bring this up and they do so via a false premise.

Sony spent 2.4 billion on Bungie not 3.6. The 1.2 billion is for retention bonuses spread out over time, much of which likely will never be paid due to the layoffs.

They bought Bungie because they made Halo and Destiny and Destiny is a major GaaS IP.

They bought Bungie to bring their tech and infrastructure for monetization via expansions, battle passes, and MTX.

Instead, posters like this pretend like Bungie was going to design every studios game to prevent it from flopping. As if Bungie is responsible for the art design of Concord...

My guy, you're a liar or you're massively ignorant....

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
screenshot_2022_02_03_at_11.05.03.png

Approx. 1.2 billion as differed payments to employee shareholders, conditional upon their continued employment, and other retention incentives.

These amounts will be paid over the course of several years after the closing date and will be recorded as expenses for accounting purposes.

Approximately two-thirds of such payment will be expensed in the first two years after the closing date.

Two thirds of 1.2 billion is 800 million dollars.

Sony closed on the Bungie M&A July 15th, 2022.

They laid off 100 people (10% of their workforce) on October 30th, 2023. On July 31st, 2024 they announced that they laid off an additional 220 employees and moved 155 employees from Bungie to SIE.

This is nearly half their workforce from the initial set of layoffs and giving the timing, was certainly to prevent the payments of these retention bonuses, probably cutting 800 million dollars into something like 400 million dollars and cutting 1.2 billion dollars into potentially 600 million dollars.

Assuming no more layoffs, they're likely only going to have paid out 3 billion dollars, which over the course of running a company this size, isn't the end of the world and they always have the option to cut more of that, but right now they're probably only 2.8 billion dollars into Bungie and other than one DLC that underperformed and some delays, Bungie has actually delivered pretty well.

Hit pieces will try to take down Marathon before it launches, but Bungie has yet to fail in delivering.

Final Shape has an 89 metacritic score (90 on PS5) and sold extremely well. They're obviously still quite capable. It's just clear Sony didn't want to pay out the full retention bonus given the delays and the lack of performance on Lighfall. Now is there any chance that the leakers talking to Paul Tassi and Jason Schreier are ex-Bungie employees who have a motive to want Marathon to fail because they were laid off? Is there anyone who likes their job at Bungie who is leaking information to these two to put their own company in bad light?

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
A lot of people bring this up and they do so via a false premise.

Sony spent 2.4 billion on Bungie not 3.6. The 1.2 billion is for retention bonuses spread out over time, much of which likely will never be paid due to the layoffs.
it doesn't matter how you want to split it. Sony spent 3.6B on Bungie.

They bought Bungie because they made Halo and Destiny and Destiny is a major GaaS IP.
They bought Bungie to bring their tech and infrastructure for monetization via expansions, battle passes, and MTX.

Instead, posters like this pretend like Bungie was going to design every studios game to prevent it from flopping. As if Bungie is responsible for the art design of Concord...
"Bungie is one of the leading developers and publishers of live service games in the world today, and we’re incredibly excited at the thought of applying their expertise and lessons learned as we build out our plans in the area of live services,” Ryan said.

My guy, you're a liar or you're massively ignorant....
my guy, I dunno what you win by capping for company. be better. a better poster.

Reactions: Boswollox

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024

let that sink in
If you're going to blame Bungie for Concord then you have to fellate Bungie for Helldivers 2...only you won't do that because it makes the 5B dollars look far more optimistic.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
If you're going to blame Bungie for Concord then you have to fellate Bungie for Helldivers 2...only you won't do that because it makes the 5B dollars look far more optimistic.
im not blaming bungie for Concord. Im saying that Concord's failure reflects on Bungie as well.

HD2 was praised by its monetization.... something that Bungie is not praised at all.

Bungie was supposed to consult on sony's GaaS.

what does that tell you?....

complete shit show... snake oil salesman indeed

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
Final Shape has an 89 metacritic score (90 on PS5) and sold extremely well. They're obviously still quite capable. It's just clear Sony didn't want to pay out the full retention bonus given the delays and the lack of performance on Lighfall.
I think the reporting on Lightfall may have been really bad.

In Destiny 2s six year history on Steam, the month Lightfall released had the highest CCU average in the games history.

I think the "missed projections by 45%" reporting purposely obfuscated the fact that these companies have multiple projection markers for big expansions.

No one who tracks Destiny 2s performance on Steam would look at Lightfalls month and think it performed poorly.

The media is just God awful.

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
im not blaming bungie for Concord. Im saying that Concord's failure reflects on Bungie as well.
Then so does Helldivers 2.
HD2 was praised by its monetization.... something that Bungie is not praised at all.
Bungie may have advised on Helldivers 2 pricing model.
Bungie was supposed to consult on sony's GaaS.
Helldivers 2 is Sony GAAS.
what does that tell you?....
That between Helldivers 2 and Concord they sold around 15 million copies with a small amount of additional income coming from MTX? Sounds like the GAAS initiative is in the red to me.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
That between Helldivers 2 and Concord they sold around 15 million copies with a small amount of additional income coming from MTX? Sounds like the GAAS initiative is in the red to me.
Nope. That Bungie's consultation has been useless. and the success Sony has on GasS (MLB, Gran Turismo and HD2) are pretty much a sony thing.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Interesting how one comes to that conclusion based on such little knowledge. I guess Bungie only does the bad things and not the good things right?
Bingo-Bango. it's fucking insane.

are you ignoring what has happened inside Bungie as well?

the fact of the matter is that, this
so called "expertise" has not significantly increased Sony's success on GaaS but has done the opposite overall.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
So instead you believe a guy who himself prefaced the story with the fact that he isn't a journalist and is someone who has gotten things terribly wrong in the past.

You believe him because you WANT to believe him...

This is a cognitive dissonance.

Who said I believed the 400M rumor?

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
Bingo-Bango. it's fucking insane.

are you ignoring what has happened inside Bungie as well?

the fact of the matter is that, this
so called "expertise" has not significantly increased Sony's success on GaaS but has done the opposite overall.
Are you ignoring the GOD AWFUL reporting on Bungie over the last 5 (probably more) years?

Pete Parsons took over Bungie at 400 employees and grew it to 850 in only 8 years. To more than double your employee count, become a 2 team studio, and give two external teams promising looking projects (Gummy Bears, Destiny Rising) is nothing short of miraculous.

The medias job is to spread doom and gloom. Pay attention to the vital signs. The media isn't worth paying attention to.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Are you ignoring the GOD AWFUL reporting on Bungie over the last 5 (probably more) years?

Pete Parsons took over Bungie at 400 employees and grew it to 850 in only 8 years. To more than double your employee count, become a 2 team studio, and give two external teams promising looking projects (Gummy Bears, Destiny Rising) is nothing short of miraculous.

The medias job is to spread doom and gloom. Pay attention to the vital signs. The media isn't worth paying attention to.
im not taking about the media. I'm talking about the the things that actually happened

massive layoffs, Sony stepping in, tweets form ex-employees

the fact that the marathon video has been delisted. The final shape underperforming etc...

a shitshow from the so called "experts"

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
The cost of concord is half the story. The other half is how many it sold, 25k units, over two platforms; PS5 and PC, before refunding 90% of those sales.

200 million, 400 million, 500 million. It makes no difference. For cost of production: unit sales, concord was a bigger disaster than ET by orders of magnitude.

Worse than ET. The game that crashed an industry.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Paul Tassi and Jason lied and said there were no more expansions.

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
im not taking about the media. I'm talking about the the things that actually happened

massive layoffs, Sony stepping in, tweets form ex-employees

the fact that the marathon video has been delisted. The final shape underperforming etc...

a shitshow from the so called "experts"
The vitals: Bungie has grown to 850 employees, it has become a 2 game studio, it has given away 2 promising looking projects to other teams.

The whole industry goes through growth / cut cycles every 5 years. The media doesn't want you to know this. Bungies demise has been sold to you. Don't buy it.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The vitals: Bungie has grown to 850 employees, it has become a 2 game studio, it has given away 2 promising looking projects to other teams.

The whole industry goes through growth / cut cycles every 5 years. The media doesn't want you to know this. Bungies demise has been sold to you. Don't buy it.
You are in denial my friend