Legend of Zelda: TotK Live Impressions and Open Spoilers

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Oh you mean my performance criticisms? Docked. I never play switch as a handheld. It’s an earlier model.
I wonder if the bold is the issue.
DF and others reviewers don't use the Switch model with old processor.

BTW DF showed in some cases in BotW you have that scenario:

zelda_uUtMLHj.jpg

Of course they said you have to work with the camera view to get the most stress point to show that difference... and in normal game scenarios you will probably see similar performance.

But that was BotW... we know TotK stresss way more the Switch than BotW did and so I wonder if now that delta in performance is more apparent.
I'm not claiming anything btw... just curious if that is the case.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Picked up a quest that asks you to visit all 58 wells in the game. Also picked up the final gimmick wheel item in the underworld underneath the great plateau temple of time area.

Visiting the temple of time gave me a quest to find 5 eyes and drop them into the underworld. Currently working on that side quest.

Found miner armor … a tunic with lightbulbs of sorts lols. Helps see in the underground.

Ascend has been very useful getting out of wells btw. Sometimes you can’t find a way out… but you have to use ascend to get back to the surface.

The new King Ghidorah enemy overworld bosses are awesome… they’re messing me up tho. Clearly not ready.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I am absurdly addicted to this game. 53 shrines down, all towers on, and I've bought my house. I think I'll get to 60 shrines next and then get the master sword. Funny thing is I haven't done MQ since i got the paraglider

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Completed that Poe statue quest received at the temple of time from botw. It’s a bit long and involved but it was almost like the first underworld heavy quest. Upon completion you get a full heart container and the option to purchase gloom resist armor for some of the poes currency you collect down there. This is also the area where you obtain the autobuild feature. So explore it. Good stuff down there. This the underworld under the great plateau from botw.

I think the game is fantastic. The shrine grind is still terrible and fuse doesn’t do much to mitigate this loot system’s chore factor but it’s something. At least it gives more reasons to pick up enemy mats… to infuse. Fusing enemy parts to weapons transforms them completely to a specifically named weapon type. So it’s not all legos.

Combat’s flaws stick out more now too. The targeting system is trash, especially the way it just breaks when strafing around larger enemies. Crouch on stick is terrible idea. Not having button remapping makes this even more cumbersome. They botched the combat. I don’t understand how they left this like this for all the other things the game does well. And yea the game is combat heavy. There’s far many more overworld bosses.

Last edited:
Reactions: voke and Airbus

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
60 Shrines down! just built a 15 part house in tarrey town lol, took me hours to grind out about 5k rupees for it. Now i'm on the quest for master sword, and side quests along the way. At this rate the main story will be the last thing i do haha

This is possibly my favorite sandbox game of all time

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Played a lot more, unlocked most towers, haven't gone underground yet, haven't progressed the story at all.

If I had to rate it right now I would give it a 10/10. The game is just so strong at it's core mechanics that it makes up for the garbage weapons, terribly boring dialog and limited graphics.

The game also works in a way that I still see myself going back and playing BoTW in the future due to the different abilities. Just a master class in how to make a game that has a soul.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Game's going a bit better for me now. Amazing how different it feels from BotW.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Game's going a bit better for me now. Amazing how different it feels from BotW.

It does??

I dunno about that. Feels like the super deluxe edition of botw where I wish I never played that game just so this hits harder.

I’m having a great time but I’m still in the rehash camp. You can’t ignore the massive copy and paste job here.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It does??

I dunno about that. Feels like the super deluxe edition of botw where I wish I never played that game just so this hits harder.

I’m having a great time but I’m still in the rehash camp. You can’t ignore the massive copy and paste job here.
The big differences for me are in the feel of the world and in the enemy variety. BotW had much better world-feel, with its verdant but under-populated world, filled with guardian ruins and burned villages. The clearing of ruins and dead guardians and their replacement with unattended construction piles (and no-one there to construct anything) counter-intuitively leaves the world feeling dead, even though story-wise the opposite should be true. Fallen chunks of sky-almost always devoid of any distinguishing feature, are no trade-off and if anything make the landscape look worse. The "goofy" stories the towns are being put through also take away from the timeless simplicity of the previous title (oh no, Kakariko and Hateno are both dealing with nearly identical tourism plots...) or them struggling to find a replacement for BotW's towers.

Meanwhile, the weapon system and improved enemy variety really make it feel like a better game, after awhile BotW's over-reliance on the big three enemy types really hurt my interest in combat. And yeah, you'll still face them more than anything else, but the new guys vary it up and have made exploring the map again much more exciting.

And then there's the stuff that really is all new, which I won't go into even though this is the spoiler thread, but you should know about the big one at least if you are even a little into the game.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Got the Yiga Mask from their hideout on great plateau. I’m sure the locations marked on that map are important …

Trying to defeat the Thunder Gleeok at the Colisuem but need a bit more attack power otherwise I’m gonna burn 200 arrows and all my weapons. Lightning resist doesn’t seem to help for shit from his attacks. The strat seems to be, weaken his three heads evenly, and finish off their hp par to stun him. If you down one head and leave the others up it’ll recover and you won’t be able to drop him. It’s not too easy to hit the crits but practice makes perfect eh?

Got the lightning resist tunic too. Not hard to find… eventually someone will mark its location on the map for you.

Me every time I start this game up….

the-hobbit-bilbo.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I wonder if the bold is the issue.
DF and others reviewers don't use the Switch model with old processor.

BTW DF showed in some cases in BotW you have that scenario:

zelda_uUtMLHj.jpg

Of course they said you have to work with the camera view to get the most stress point to show that difference... and in normal game scenarios you will probably see similar performance.

But that was BotW... we know TotK stresss way more the Switch than BotW did and so I wonder if now that delta in performance is more apparent.
I'm not claiming anything btw... just curious if that is the case.
See my post here... DF confirmed the original Switch drops framerates where the new Makino-based not.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Well…Burnt out already. Dropping it for a bit. Lost interest…

Game is a rehash with zero combat and control improvements. Should’ve been an expansion.

Kinda disappointed. The new dungeons are trash and so is the underworld.

Totk is absolutely fantastic and I loved my time with it but I was like 60 hours in and it felt like I was playing the same game, goin to the same places and doin the same deku shit collecting… it kinda bummed me big time.

I’ve never not finished a Zelda game and I’m not about to have that happen now but this is the first time I’ve fell off… ever

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Dialogs are killing me. A lot like Elden Ring I'm getting the impression review scores are based on first impressions.

The game is definettly really good but it quickly lost a lot of momentum to me. I can't fucking stand the multiple line of non-voiced boring dialog each NPC spouts.

Reactions: catchew

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
This "game" should have been released as a dlc 3-4 years ago at half the price.
Still a good game, but too many flaws to claim excellence.

They certainly revised the diversity of the bestiary.
Added celestial islands, although too many uninteresting and poorly exploited islands .
A few cool new powers, but it doesn't really change that much, as it's still pretty much the same gameplay loop as botw.

and that's it, for the rest, pretty much the same problems as the first, which is a shame.

There aren't that many interesting moments, except in the last third.
The horse is as useless as ever.
The subterranean terrain is neither done nor done; it's horrible to walk through.
The shrines are too easy and all look the same in terms of arts direction
The dungeons, or rather temples, are a sad sight.
Too much length and blah-blah to lengthen the lifespan unnecessarily.
Super boring loot.
More than half of the fedex side quests are pretty lame.
They didn't bother too much with the story, but it's still very childish.
Adventure less epic than previous Zelda games.
Disastrous ergonomics.
Too close to BOTW, same map, same armor, same music, same interface, same cardboard weapons, in short, still as boring as ever ... too much recycling.

Unfortunately it's a BOTW 1.5

To me it's not worth a 95 metacritic.

• brain
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero and Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The horse is as useless as ever.
About the horse, they could definetly have taken a page from Elden Ring and came up with an inworld explanation of why you could just summon your horse (link already teleport himself so a teleporting horse wouldn't look out of place).

The shrines are too easy and all look the same in terms of arts direction
I have encountered a few too many shrines where there a ways to ignore the challenge.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Having put a lot more time in (but still far from finished) I am amazed by how big the game is. The sky, the underworld, the main map, all the things to do. The game is just massive.

I have a pre-Mariko Switch and, though I can't tell frame rates, I can definitely tell you that some of the load times suck. Like I've actually had the whole blood moon cutscene play and then got a loading screen after it because the game still wasn't done loading, at times. A few other niggles to go over but none the less, still an absolutely bonkers game. Almost certainly going to win game of the year, "good but samey" stuff like Harry Potter doesn't stand a chance.

• haha
Reactions: Evilms

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So, I must confess the game got steadily boring over time and now I lost most of my excitement about it.

It gives a really strong first impression but the most interesting power (Ultrahand is very inconvenient to use most of the time unless it's a challenge designed around it).

All weapons suck, story never get going, NPCs are beyond boring and so are the enemies, stuff break or run out of battery too fast, it never makes sense to use your horse.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
My review:

It is here, the king has returned. Tears of the Kingdom, the long awaited and occasionally delayed sequel to Breath of the Wild has arrived to take your 70 dollars and month worth of free time. Literally building on the previous game's foundations, TotK adds a bunch of fixes while breaking a few things as well. These include vehicle mechanics, a bigger (if not better,) story and explorable sky and cave worlds. But is it good? Is it all good? Is it as good? Read on to find out. Oh, and I'm going to do this without regard to spoilers. I won't directly state the ending or anything but don't read if you don't want spoilers.

First off, this game is big. We thought BotW was big 7 years ago but TotK doubles it in size by adding the depths, a difficult to traverse underworld with rare weapons and resources as well as fun caves and a shitty sky. Its easily worth the extra ten dollars over other Switch games, a talking point that seems to have died the moment the game actually came out. A lot of the game's additions, in regards to things like enemy variety and overworld bosses fix flaws in the previous game. Additional character interactions between Link and his friends are also welcome, though they seem to lack some of the pizzazz of the previous game. Rivali and Mipha had more character in five minutes than most of Link's current companions do in the whole game, for instance.

The carefully crafted character motivations of the previous game weren't the only thing lost in the sequel either. And I'm not just talking about infinite bombs either. For one, BotW put tremendous effort into making BotW feel like a living, realistic setting and world. TotK plops crap everywhere, ignoring scale or logics. Wooden Shiekah survey towers loom above the land, dominating your view while piles of building material are just left everywhere. Gone is the beautiful, wild and untouched world of its predecessor. Missing too are the well thought out character of the various towns that was present in the first game. Hateno and Kakariko receive identical tourism plots where idiots in pajamas run across the village while Tarreytown looks like a dev asset dump. The game's terrible starter dungeon is just a slog. Oh, and your ghost companions? Useful but very brute force compared to the powers of the previous game.

The biggest new addition, craftily hidden by the devs until close to the game's release, was the building mechanics. They work, and there's fun to be had with them, but there are also clear problems with them. Sadly, since I doubt this game is going to be a trilogy it appears this is what we'll be stuck with. As is, I mostly did not use them unless flying to the overworld or forced to for a quest. And while building a car is fun, it really eats up resources to rebuild it, with only limited utility once built.

While people point to the Switch's limited graphical output as a factor I would argue that other limits hurt it more. The lack of buttons on the Switch controller left me wishing for a keyboard and mouse. Having a dedicated Yunubo button or quick key outfits would have been a godsend. A desire to separate the Zonai from the ancient Sheikah left them with a lime green color, rather than the beautiful deep blue of the previous game's shrines. Oh yeah, and fuck the sky world. I rarely visited, there's definitely shrines up there I haven't done. I did love exploring the depths and invading Yiga hideouts, though.

Still, regardless of that all, its still a great game. I loved finding and exploring caves and wells, completing dungeons, hanging out more with the cast, finding out the story of what Zelda did in the past and seeing that one great part of the story. With six years of development, with no re-start or "dev hell" period, its clear to see the results of the team's labor and with the benefit of hindsight its easy to see that the team had ideas of the game's basic systems while creating its prequel, and built that game with the idea of layering additional things onto it in this game. What we see here then is the result of a solid decade of game planning. A true live service game, delivered all at once. I enjoyed the 200 hours I spent in the game and proudly rate it a 2 out of 2.

For now I am done, though, even if there's a few things I have not yet discovered in it. Perhaps I shall return to it, in a year or three but much like the team itself, its time for me to move on and do other things.

PS, Diablo is GotY.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Update: I just got an 85 inch TV and oh my God, is this what everyone else sees when they talk about how awful 30 fps? Holy shit, its miserating. I might actually have to buy a current gen system to have something non-eye-rapey.