Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I do get the PS4 take, but they have been dropping cross-gen since last year with FF16 & SM2. If they did cross-gen people would complain about not leaving PS4 behind..

Regarding the Switch port, obviously for profitability and target audience. This also opens the door for more PS cross-over Lego games to go to Switch. Personally I am meh with LEGO going over there but it got me thinking are they as stupid as other claim with an Astrobot port, I mean it's the same logic.
If you're gonna put a game on the Switch there is no excuse to exclude the PS4... No matter how many excuses y'all try to come up with to justify it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I do get the PS4 take, but they have been dropping cross-gen since last year with FF16 & SM2. If they did cross-gen people would complain about not leaving PS4 behind..

Regarding the Switch port, obviously for profitability and target audience. This also opens the door for more PS cross-over Lego games to go to Switch. Personally I am meh with LEGO going over there but it got me thinking are they as stupid as other claim with an Astrobot port, I mean it's the same logic.
I assume they view Lego Horizon as an experiment. Depending on sales, they could do sequels and Lego adaptations of other Sony IPs.

Depending on its performance on Switch, they could release more similar games on Switch 2, as could be potential future Lego games and maybe also Ratched and Astro.

I just can't understand why Sony allow this favouritism... He's pushing Guerrilla so hard and green lighting anything they want.

Other studios will now demand the same treatment and more games could become day and date as a result.

This is a decay setting in.
It isn't favoritism, HZD is their best selling game ever (not counting Destiny 2 because wasn't released as Sony game and later became F2P). So it's normal that they want to milk the IP.

He also grew basically all the Sony studios.

But as an example, ND didn't want to make Uncharted 5 just after Uncharted 4. Maybe they were offered but didn't want to make an Uncharted (or TLOU) VR game with Firesprite. Maybe they were offered to make a Lego Uncharted or Lego TLOU with Gobo but didn't want to do so.

ND did what they wanted. To make instead TLOU2 and after it TLOU Online + two SP games, plus some mostly outsourced remasters/remakes and movie/tv show.

The editorial team set the main global strategy and vision, and then the dev teams pitch projects according to it. If they fit in what their roadmap needs to follow that strategy and look promising enough after making some market research they get greenlighted.

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
If you're gonna put a game on the Switch there is no excuse to exclude the PS4... No matter how many excuses y'all try to come up with to justify it.

Them dropping cross-gen since last year is not an excuse. It was literally stated in their Q3 2022 call.

• Engagement metrics of users who transitioned from PlayStation 4 (“PS4”) to PS5, such as their PS Plus subscription rate, gameplay time, and average spending amount are significantly higher than those when they played on PS4, so we will continue to focus on accelerating the transition of PS4 users to PS5.

They could easily have Astrobot running on PS4 or a downgraded SM2? Same applies to Helldivers 2 and Concord which would make also more sense have more players in live-service. Where is the excuse?

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Them dropping cross-gen since last year is not an excuse. It was literally stated in their Q3 2022 call.

• Engagement metrics of users who transitioned from PlayStation 4 (“PS4”) to PS5, such as their PS Plus subscription rate, gameplay time, and average spending amount are significantly higher than those when they played on PS4, so we will continue to focus on accelerating the transition of PS4 users to PS5.

They could easily have Astrobot running on PS4 or a downgraded SM2? Same applies to Helldivers 2 and Concord which would make also more sense have more players in live-service. Where is the excuse?
Except not the case here. The game can be scaled down for the switch, there's no excuse to not have it on PS4. You bringing up Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Concord makes no sense in the context of discussion here.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Yes, they could make PS4 versions of Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2 or Concord if desired. But didn't want to, because they prefer to focus their resources on PS5 and to "force" the PS4 users to upgrade to PS5 asap.

Because on average PS5 users are more engaged and spend more money than in PS4.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Except not the case here. The game can be scaled down for the switch, there's no excuse to not have it on PS4. You bringing up Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Concord makes no sense in the context of discussion here.
Literally point out that they wanna transition PS4 users to PS5 and stopped doing cross-gen from their own fiscal report cause upgraded users spend more money on the platform. Point out selected games that could be on PS4 as reference, calls it irrelevant. Right.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I just can't understand why Sony allow this favouritism... He's pushing Guerrilla so hard and green lighting anything they want.

Other studios will now demand the same treatment and more games could become day and date as a result.

This is a decay setting in.
it's not a coincidence PlayStation's first PC port was Horizon Zero Dawn

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Literally point out that they wanna transition PS4 users to PS5 and stopped doing cross-gen from their own fiscal report cause upgraded users spend more money on the platform. Point out selected games that could be on PS4 as reference, calls it irrelevant. Right.
Yes it is irrelevant because why are you mentioning Spiderman 2 when Insomniac already stated in 2020 they were done with PS4 coming 2021 and forward?

Why are you bringing up GaaS games when we already know PS4 was out of the equation when it came to this initiative?

Let's see if MLB skips PS4 next year then going by this d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ logic of yours.

• haha
Reactions: CrackmanNL

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If they were serious about doing this without damaging their console ecosystem they would have mandated a minimum 6 month timed exclusivity. If they really thought this game had any draw whatsoever the cheapest way to get into it is a switch, so if a ps4 player wanted to play it that's what they'd buy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Yes it is irrelevant because why are you mentioning Spiderman 2 when Insomniac already stated in 2020 they were done with PS4 coming 2021 and forward?

Why are you bringing up GaaS games when we already know PS4 was out of the equation when it came to this initiative?

Let's see if MLB skips PS4 next year then going by this d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ logic of yours.

You are talking about excuses, it's Sony's decision it's as simple as that. And I provided their reasoning for it and where that reasoning was made in their fiscal presentation. What's the damage control? For me saying it would be stupid for them to apply this logic to port Astrobot to Switch? And that they could made other ports to PS4 if they wanted to?

Speaking of damage control why do you bring up a non owned Sony IP? Then bring up an example of a live-service title on PS4 when you say it's out of the equation for Sony's initiative.
Ironic.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Yeah.... this is isn't a good take at all.
Sorry, but this is one of the rare times I hard disagree with Playstation.

I cannot wilfully support this...

Last edited:

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Will people on switch even buy this game? I'm pretty sure kids don't care about a lego horizon game anyways.

• they're_right_you_know

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You are talking about excuses, it's Sony's decision it's as simple as that. And I provided their reasoning for it and where that reasoning was made in their fiscal presentation. What's the damage control? For me saying it would be stupid for them to apply this logic to port Astrobot to Switch? And that they could made other ports to PS4 if they wanted to?

Speaking of damage control why do you bring up a non owned Sony IP? Then bring up an example of a live-service title on PS4 when you say it's out of the equation for Sony's initiative.
Ironic.
You ain't provide nothing of substance that correlates to a Lego game skipping PS4 while being ported to a cheaper and lower powered machine lol. Again it is dumb and makes no sense to exclude the PS4 when they are porting the game to the Switch, do they assume PS owners don't also own a switch that is about to become the best selling gaming system of all time? 🤣

Nobody is going to run out and abandon their PS4 for darn Lego game. If Spiderman 2 couldn't do it, a Lego game ain't going to.

And MLB is made by a Sony first party studio hence I mentioned it also because the game is ported to all consoles... So let's see if they skip the PS4 next year then, since they wanna Armstrong PS4 owners to upgrade now... Even though they just said PS4 is still very important to their business..

Damn I can't keep up so many contradictions apparently 🫡🤡

• sad

uyoung1989

3 Feb 2024
I remember the pc push also started because Santa Monica wanted GoW to be on pc. If you’re a platform holder and your studios want their game on more platforms instead of want their game to sell more of your platform, I consider it a great failure. Sony really goes soft on the studios these days.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You ain't provide nothing of substance that correlates to a Lego game skipping PS4 while being ported to a cheaper and lower powered machine lol. Again it is dumb and makes no sense to exclude the PS4 when they are porting the game to the Switch, do they assume PS owners don't also own a switch that is about to become the best selling gaming system of all time? 🤣

Nobody is going to run out and abandon their PS4 for darn Lego game. If Spiderman 2 couldn't do it, a Lego game ain't going to.

And MLB is made by a Sony first party studio hence I mentioned it also because the game is ported to all consoles... So let's see if they skip the PS4 next year then, since they wanna Armstrong PS4 owners to upgrade now... Even though they just said PS4 is still very important to their business..

Damn I can't keep up so many contradictions apparently 🫡🤡
MLB is not a Sony owned IP, they have no control over the license hence it went to GP. MLB made the decision.
You are upset at me for saying saying Sony made the decision to not do cross-gen and brand it as damage control.
Then I bring up titles that they could bring to PS4 and you say that's an excuse.
When my first comment is that applying this logic to Astrobot it should go to Switch as well which I called stupid.

I think your reading comprehension has issues cause last time I had an interaction with you, you resorted to inserting yourself as an emoji as well.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
As you all know, I'm super anti-PC ports but when Lego Horizon was announced on Switch...I had no emotions inside me. I guess I'm fine with it?

It's kind of cool that kids will be able to play with Aloy and Mario Kart on the same portable console 😁

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
MLB is not a Sony owned IP, they have no control over the license hence it went to GP. MLB made the decision.
You are upset at me for saying saying Sony made the decision to not do cross-gen and brand it as damage control.
Then I bring up titles that they could bring to PS4 and you say that's an excuse.
When my first comment is that applying this logic to Astrobot it should go to Switch as well which I called stupid.

I think your reading comprehension has issues cause last time I had an interaction with you, you resorted to inserting yourself as an emoji as well.
And you stay replying with garbage. Again I only mentioned MLB because it is also ported to all consoles lol. So let's see if they will sideline the PS4 next year and only have it on PS5, to force baseball fans on PS4 to upgrade.... What is not clicking in that 🧠 of yours? Lol

I don't see what MLB license has to do with anything here 💀. And stop bringing up Astrobot...

Yeah, my reading comprehension has issues apparently because I refuse to agree with your dumbass logic. And I will use Emojis as much as I want because I'm actively jeeering the nonsense you keep typing up.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
As you all know, I'm super anti-PC ports but when Lego Horizon was announced on Switch...I had no emotions inside me. I guess I'm fine with it?

It's kind of cool that kids will be able to play with Aloy and Mario Kart on the same portable console 😁
It's the fact no one even cares that switch is getting the game. But, why are people here defending Sony skipping the PS4.

I know exactly why they are doing it, but the plan isn't gonna work because they are assuming PS4 owners also don't own a switch 🤔

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024

And you stay replying with garbage. Again I only mentioned MLB because it is also ported to all consoles lol. So let's see if they will sideline the PS4 next year and only have it on PS5, to force baseball fans on PS4 to upgrade.... What is not clicking in that 🧠 of yours? Lol

I don't see what MLB license has to do with anything here 💀. And stop bringing up Astrobot...

Yeah, my reading comprehension has issues apparently because I refuse to agree with your dumbass logic. And I will use Emojis as much as I want because I'm actively jeeering the nonsense you keep typing up.
Speaking of clicking in the brain, what's there not to click that Sony doesn't control the MLB license. It's either do it or lose the deal.
You yourself brought MLB up. I provided the link MLB went to GP forcing Sony to do multiplat.

If you call Sony's fiscal report statements and reasoning for their business of not doing PS4 garbage fine, but I don't work at Sony.
You keep saying it's my logic. That's where your reading (and mental) comprehension needs work.