Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
I think you overshot why consoles players play consoles.
Maybe there are some fews that indeed will move from PS to PC but these are niche imo.
Because most like to play games on consoles... at home, in their own couch without need to setup anything or deal with the PC UI... they want just that.

To these no matter what Sony do on PC they will never move to it.
They will rater end to play games if a PlayStation hardware doesn't exists than start to playing games on PC... or will move to Mobile.

Yes... I see a lot more people moving from consoles to mobile.
Consoles to PC is very hard.

Plus PlayStation still have exclusives that makes the platform worth of it... and the games that goes to PC takes so many years that is not every worth of wait (at least to myself is not because either I play the games at launch or don't play at all)t's a bad strategy to give people

I think you overshot why consoles players play consoles.
Maybe there are some fews that indeed will move from PS to PC but these are niche imo.
Because most like to play games on consoles... at home, in their own couch without need to setup anything or deal with the PC UI... they want just that.

To these no matter what Sony do on PC they will never move to it.
They will rater end to play games if a PlayStation hardware doesn't exists than start to playing games on PC... or will move to Mobile.

Yes... I see a lot more people moving from consoles to mobile.
Consoles to PC is very hard.

Plus PlayStation still have exclusives that makes the platform worth of it... and the games that goes to PC takes so many years that is not every worth of wait (at least to myself is not because either I play the games at launch or don't play at all).
You've gotta realize that PC gaming today is radically different from PC gaming back in the PS3 gen. The one thing today that's still consistent is the (on average) higher cost of entry for PC gaming relative to the cost of entry for console gaming. But everything else is different.

Back then, PC's were difficult to setup for the average user. They were the opposite of comfy couch gaming. Most dedicated GPUs and laptops didn't even have HDMI ports/easy TV solutions. Controller support was also terrible; you had companies that made a killing from selling lap boards for living room setups. Ironically enough, it was the 360 controller that ushered in universal controller support on PC. Big picture mode wasn't around until the end of that gen, wireless keyboard + mouse was still pricey and uncommon (mostly due to Bluetooth not being standard), most desktops and laptops were these loud bulky machines that just looked out of place in a living room, the list goes on.

Almost all of that has changed over the last decade. PC gaming has become as easy to setup and get into as consoles. You could even argue that it's easier to get into due to the availability of the Steam Deck; a lower priced entry point with an excellent selling point (i.e., portability.) That's why I think it's a bad long-term strategy to repeat Xbox's multi-platform mistake. The biggest change over the last decade is the availability of console software on PC. That's not a bad change if your console business is in the gutter or you don't see a bright future for your console business.

That could be the primary reason PlayStation -- even with their current record-setting sales figures -- are moving their software to PC. They could have internal numbers that look shaky if not outright bad for their future hardware. For example, they might be expecting lower demand for a PS5 Pro. Maybe the price of the thing will be over $600, and their data shows that once you're within PC hardware prices, people will just (you guessed it) opt for a PC instead of a console.

Obviously, all of this is speculation. If their future hardware numbers still look good, then someone over at PlayStation is hitting the pipe or is motivated by something entirely different (e.g., executive bonuses.) Why else would you want to repeat Xbox's mistake?