Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Mighty LEGO not so mighty?

So many "Xbox apologists"-like HH defenders were ready to swear on their mums that it was LEGO dictating conditions.

Sony wants to move PS4 owners to PS5.

By putting their games on PC and other platforms?

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I would’ve disagreed w the people saying PS wouldn’t go day n date on PC but now it looks like it’s a high chance.

For some reason PS thinks they can have a strong console base or be competitive while also trying to grab pennies on other direct competitor platform by releasing there games on them years later. lol your either have a closed platform ie Netflix, Nintendo, Apple, Steam or your this hybrid that don’t draw any playerbase & actually loose in the long run.

PS knowing Nintendo or Steam will never release there games on a PS platform now releasing there games on direct competitors. What’s next the next GOW releasing on PC day 1 or ratchet & clank releasing on Nintendo. If PS wanted to bring a new audience or make players more invested in there franchise they would do what Nintendo, Activision & Sega are doing & release more games from there franchises in different genre & styles. Also produce more 1st party overall. All of these ports just make 3rd party day why tf would we make FF or Persona PS exclusive & harm/limit our franchise when not even you keep your games exclusive hell you releasing your games from key franchise on rival direct console platforms. Wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel saw PS diminish there platform & release games on PC hell on PC & Nintendo day 1 & told PS Spider-Man 1,2 & SM3 has to be release on PC & Nintendo day 1 as Nintendo console gets more power 3rd party is wana get there games on Nintendo platform day 1.

Outside the fomo the best & cheapest way to play PS games are on PC or Steamdeck not on a PS hardware. I don’t even have to count the benefits of PC/Steamdeck compared to PS. Truly sad how PS followed Xbox they’re really nothing more then Xbox 2.0
Your examples of Apple and Netflix are great, these are companies that are all about exclusives. Sony thinks they are smarter than them and decided to follow the example of Xbox, good luck lmao.

Valve is another one, they have stopped releasing their games on PlayStation and didn't even bother with PSVR2 despite their big VR push. Sony is now their bitch.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
interestingly enough, people from this studio are getting higher up positions at Sony, it's not even Sony's best studio...
From my observations, Guerrilla has had a special relationship with PS management since Ryan's time because they received better marketing, budgets, and had absolute support in decision-making, and a similar relationship applies to ND and Insomniac.

Meanwhile, all the other studios outside of these three received much smaller budgets, poor marketing, and generally poor treatment from PS management.

While some are allowed to make the Horizon conveyor, others are getting good new IP sequels canceled, cutbacks, and being pushed into GaaS.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
😂😂 So now Hulst is written all over it? When just a few days ago you were saying that Lego forced this? And anyone who said it was a conscious choice by Sony was a stupid doomer? 😂😂😂

@ethomaz @Plextorage @Muddasar @Dick Jones @voke take a big L on this. You guys were defending something so obviously wrong.

Today it’s Lego Horizon that’s a “perfect fit”, tomorrow it’ll be every single Sony first party game. Sony should just hurry up and go 3rd party since that’s what all of their braindead developers seem to want. They’ll be the first ones crying when they start to get paid less for more work and eventually lose their jobs. And Sony is even worse for forgetting their position in the market and how they actually make their money.
Still behaving like a child almost a week later. Get some help.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yurinka and ethomaz

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
I just can't understand why Sony allow this favouritism... He's pushing Guerrilla so hard and green lighting anything they want.

Other studios will now demand the same treatment and more games could become day and date as a result.

This is a decay setting in.
Personally, I've noticed this trend for a long time, and it's good that more people are starting to notice it.

This approach has already hit PS hard, and there will be even more damage in the future.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
😂😂 So now Hulst is written all over it? When just a few days ago you were saying that Lego forced this? And anyone who said it was a conscious choice by Sony was a stupid doomer? 😂😂😂

@ethomaz @Plextorage @Muddasar @Dick Jones @voke take a big L on this. You guys were defending something so obviously wrong.

Today it’s Lego Horizon that’s a “perfect fit”, tomorrow it’ll be every single Sony first party game. Sony should just hurry up and go 3rd party since that’s what all of their braindead developers seem to want. They’ll be the first ones crying when they start to get paid less for more work and eventually lose their jobs. And Sony is even worse for forgetting their position in the market and how they actually make their money.
What your point exactly?

I'm sure Sony reached in the agreement what they wanted... they put Xbox out of a multiplatform game.
That already shows the power Sony had in the deal and want they wanted from it.
Maybe they tried to get Switch from the deal too but it was not a priority so they don't forced they hand.

Lego obvious wants they multiplatform franchise in all platform possible like all previous Lego games.

Don't be surprise if a Mobile iOS / Android Lego Horizon is already in the deal... that is what Lego do.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Who the fuck wants a LEGO Horizon game.
Me?

I believe from the Sony's franchises it is the best one for Lego... it have a big world with tons of mechas that fits Lego blocks structure.
If you look at others Sony's IP you won't have the same match with each other.

BTW we love some Lego's games here at home.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Me?

I believe from the Sony's franchises it is the best one for Lego... it have a big world with tons of mechas that fits Lego blocks structure.

I think it's to see if there is a demand for child games for Sony. If Sony can kidify some IP then they can go after the Nintendo market. This is a low risk game to test the waters where the IP is borrowed an put on a Lego game without wasting first parry studio resources.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
I thought this was mandated by Lego. Is this how it fucking works now? A studio can just say "I know we said no single player stuff day one but pwetty pwease, I really wanna"? And Sony's joke of a leadership indulges them? Spineless, useless, shortsighted assholes.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I thought this was mandated by Lego. Is this how it fucking works now? A studio can just say "I know we said no single player stuff day one but pwetty pwease, I really wanna"? And Sony's joke of a leadership indulges them? Spineless, useless, shortsighted assholes.
That's not how this works. Every single time an actual developer, including Microsoft ones, are asked these questions, they all reply the same way. They want more people to play their games. That's because they don't have to worry about the business side of things.

Do you honestly believe a narrative director can influence business decisions, especially ones like these that can impact the overall strategy of the entire division?

Come on, people, stop to think for a second and don't jump to conclusions.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Me?

There are better Sony franchises to turn into LEGO.

Of course Herman thinks the universe revolves around Horizon.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
If they wanted a Lego game, why not have a Lego game with ALL PlayStation characters and levels inspired by all franchises?

I would vastly prefer that!

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Do you honestly believe a narrative director can influence business decisions, especially ones like these that can impact the overall strategy of the entire division?

In Sony? Uh, yes? That's what happens when you have weak leadership that is deathly afraid to actually, you know, lead. You've got Hulst who only cares about being cuddly with devs and taking vacations, and Totoki who only cares about making short-term profit. Sony gives Valve and Nintendo hundreds of millions in revenue and when it asks something it goes like this:

Sony: "Hey Valve, you know we ported all our big singleplayer games to Steam and our GaaS are day one. How about you guys port Counter-strike 2 on PS5 and Half-Life Alyx on PSVR2?"

Valve: "lolno"

Sony: "Hey Nintendo, we are releasing a first-party game day one on your platform. How about you maybe port some of your smaller games years later?"

Nintendo: "lolno"

I don't understand how anyone can turn a blind eye to this. Sony is strengthening competitive platforms and the owners of those platforms do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to reciprocate. It is ridiculous.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well I think this was not driven by Hermen. The game was for at least 4 years in development. So you can only take a guess who is the mastermind behind this decision: Jim Lying Ryan.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Neversummer

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
If they wanted a Lego game, why not have a Lego game with ALL PlayStation characters and levels inspired by all franchises?

I would vastly prefer that!
A low risk option for a kids game to see if there is demand for kids games on Playstation. The assets used are an outside studio who has experience making these games, they are borrowing IP and minimal original studio input. Playstation is marketed for adults so if Sony are making varieties of children's games, is there demand for a child friendly version of their IP.

Your option involves Sony creating a studio created or mandating one of the established studios to make a game they may not have the experience to do so. You can look at Astro but that studio is still finding their feet. Until a full Astro game is released, the studio can't be expected to have many divisions to make different types of games. It took Nintendo years to make Mario Soccer or Mario Kart or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. You need to establish the IP before stretching it to other genres.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Makes me wonder if Sony studios have Switch 2 dev kits. They would need them for MLB The Show 25 right?

Ultimately, PlayStation's software strategy is really smart in the short-term and really fucking dumb in the long-term. There must be some major internal reasons why their software people are making moves that don't support their own hardware business. Maybe they expect the PS6 to be an $800 machine or something?

24 Jun 2022
A low risk option for a kids game to see if there is demand for kids games on Playstation.

TBF, Astro's Playroom, Rift Apart, and the new Astro Bot already prove there is demand for kids games on PlayStation. Same with stuff like the Sonic games, Hogwarts Legacy etc.

Yes games like Rift Apart & Hogwarts weren't just aimed at kids (LEGO Horizon isn't either); it's better to call these 'all ages' games and reserve kids games to stuff like Barbie and Bluey game spinoffs. But point being, 'all ages' stuff like Rift Apart and Hogwarts sold very well on PS5. Hogwarts especially well.

We don't need LEGO Horizon to test if there's a market for all-ages games on PS5.