Lego Horizon game trailer "ready to go" as per Tom Henderson.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Dear Xbots and doomers,

What’s the difference between this LEGO game being Day 1 on PC and MLB the Show being Day 1 on Xbox.

Did Sony start releasing games Day 1 on Xbox just like you are claiming they will after releasing this LEGO game on PC day 1?

Both are published by Sony and probably licensed.
Brother, why can't you just accept that Sony moving fast in the direction of all game being released on PC day one?

Most of the PlayStation PC releases so far were of games that didn't even start development as PC games, things have changed dramatically in the last 4 years. Being in denial, crying about it and making up excuses won't change anything.

Nobody should be buying PlayStation consoles at this point assuming games won't release day and date on PC. This year alone they'll have released Helldivers 2, Concord and Until Dawn all on PC day one.

Doomers were right as always, take the L.

Sony’s pushing the Horizon IP so hard so the fact that this game got handed over to Summer Game Fest rather than being shown in the state of play is a head scratcher. A lot more eyes will be on a PlayStation stream than a Summer Game fest. This gives the impression that Sony really don’t consider this game a big priority.
The reason is that it's a multiplataform release as was already pointed out, they need to advertise it for people outside the PlayStation ecosystem.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Point me in the direction where I can play FFXVI, FF7R, Stellar Blade, RotR, GOW R, SM2 at this very moment? They have a giant base that want to be there Day 1, me included.
Im not sure I get what you mean?
I replied to Xbox going day 1 on PC effecting Xbox. Didnt see your comment about PS games.

Whether its Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox or Disney. If they are gonna put there products on rival platforms day 1, they make there brand less special.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brother, why can't you just accept that Sony moving fast in the direction of all game being released on PC day one?

I cant accept it until the fat lady sings it lol.
Sony has been dumb when it comes to PC, but are they that dumb? Especially after saying multiple times they wont do it

Anyway, I hope not, but not saying its not happening. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but Im not gonna go around saying they are releasing games day 1 on PC until it happens to a new PS studio single player game

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony has been dumb when it comes to PC, but are they that dumb? Especially after saying multiple times they wont do it

Anyway, I hope not, but not saying its not happening. Wishful thinking on my part
All along Sony was pretty terrible with most of their decisions when it comes to PlayStation they just happened to have really great devs under them and a good hardware team two gens in a row. Most of their current success with PlayStation can be traced back to a few good decisions when they tried to save the PS3 and extremely poor decisions by MS with Xbox.

At this point the odds of day and date for any type of game becoming the norm are extremely high and pretty much almost guaranteed. They don't give a shit about how PlayStation fans will feel about it just like they don't care about how PlayStation fans feel about paying for online and cloud saves.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony’s pushing the Horizon IP so hard so the fact that this game got handed over to Summer Game Fest rather than being shown in the state of play is a head scratcher. A lot more eyes will be on a PlayStation stream than a Summer Game fest. This gives the impression that Sony really don’t consider this game a big priority.

Deep sigh.

It's not a head scratcher. Why would sony put all their eggs in one basket? They wanted the state of play to focus specifically on Concord and Astrobot, especially because those games are coming out really soon.

Horizon probably isn't coming out this year, so showing it in a state of play, probably wouldn't have made as much sense given what state of plays are for, they're generally a preview of upcoming attractions.

Summer Game Fest has a big audience and maybe even more importantly it has an audience outside of just PlayStation fans and given that this game is going to release on PC as well, it makes sense to advertise it there. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more advertising for Concord there as well.

All that being said, there is no universe where this game is a big priority, which is the real head scratcher as to why everyone has to think that every game has to be a big priority.

Sony is clearly positioning Horizon to be a major franchise. If the TV show is successful, they'll have a lot of content across a wide audience in which to sell to. Horizon isn't as violent as God of War and the Last of Us or even Uncharted, so it makes it the ideal candidate for a lego game. Sony doesn't own the rights to Spider-Man, making a lego game a more difficult enterprise.

When you make a lego game, you're aiming for a younger audience and with Horizon you're also aiming for a female audience.

This game is a pitch to get young kids, particularly girls into a franchise and into PlayStation. The budget is probably pretty limited and the scope pretty limited. I don't see it being a 1:1 remake, probably simpler controls, more limited dialogue, and a shorter play time.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All along Sony was pretty terrible with most of their decisions when it comes to PlayStation they just happen to have really great devs under them and a good hardware team two gens in a row.
Yeah your not too wrong. They made some good strategic decisions for PS4, made a real effort with PS3 after they realised they have Xbox and media going for the throat. But they have made plenty of mistakes and havent reached close to there full potential or what I expect of them. Tbh no1 has

They done a great job of the PS5 as a console though, I just expected them to triple down on exclusives, both PS studio software and 1st/3rd party. Also I want more from there BC titles at this point. Its something that should of been dealt with on PS4, let alone now

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Deep sigh.

It's not a head scratcher. Why would sony put all their eggs in one basket? They wanted the state of play to focus specifically on Concord and Astrobot, especially because those games are coming out really soon.

Im not disagreeing but there use to be a time where plenty of games were shown on one show because thats what Platform holders use to do. Whether other games were coming out soon or not.
People’s attention span can go past the games coming out within 6 months.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Im not disagreeing but there use to be a time where plenty of games were shown on one show because thats what Platform holders use to do. Whether other games were coming out soon or not.
People’s attention span can go past the games coming out within 6 months.

I love how everyone assumes Sony doesn't have data on this.

Are you a marketing professional? Sony has the marketing data. If they felt like marketing games 3 years in advance helped sell games, they would do so.

We've seen PLENTY of Wolverine via the leak. More than enough that could have gone into multiple trailers, yet nothing from Insomniac on Wolverine. They're making a conscious effort to put resources towards near-release games. It's almost certainly a more efficient way of spending marketing dollars.

Astrobot was JUST officially announced during the state of play and its coming out within 4 months of being announced. There is a new cadence and people will have to get used to it.

Concord while announced earlier was only shown for the first time a month before being publicly accessible and a couple of months before release.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I love how everyone assumes Sony doesn't have data on this.
How would they have data on it working if they never done it before? Are they comparing there platform with someone who has done similar?

Professional marketing doesnt always go to plan either. PSVR2, Vita. Wii U, Xbox1/Series, Sega ,plenty of mistakes. Ive worked with studios and 1 platform before. Just because they are a professional doesnt always mean they are gonna be right. Marketing teams, and actually many employees in all the different fields get sacked all the time because things didnt work out.

All Im saying is it use to work fine before, games that got shown years before they released got sold 10 million. Games that got shown within a 6-8 month release didnt sell as well. I really dont think it makes much difference either way.
Big shows with plenty of games use to fine before

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
How would they have data on it working if they never done it before? Are they comparing there platform with someone who has done similar?

Professional marketing doesnt always go to plan either. PSVR2, Vita. Wii U, Xbox1/Series, Sega ,plenty of mistakes. Ive worked with studios and 1 platform before. Just because they are a professional doesnt always mean they are gonna be right. Marketing teams, and actually many employees in all the different fields get sacked all the time because things didnt work out.

All Im saying is it use to work fine before, games that got shown years before they released got sold 10 million. Games that got shown within a 6-8 month release didnt sell as well. I really dont think it makes much difference either way.
Big shows with plenty of games use to fine before

So I think you're mistaking a lot of things here.

First, you're conflating process and results. Sony has been in the business for 30 years. You don't think they have data on how much games sell and the marketing campaigns they had? What they've certainly found is that a longer campaign isn't conducive to greater sales. So you hit diminished returns.

More ad money towards PSVR2 probably wouldn't have made it a success. PSVR2 failed when Sony made some bad bets in the design phase the same is true of Vita.

If a game sells 10 million and you spend 5 years advertising for it and the same game sells 10 million and you spent 6 months advertising for it, which do you think is more appropriate?

You think it "used" to be fine, but you're not looking at the margins.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Anyway, I hope not, but not saying its not happening. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but Im not gonna go around saying they are releasing games day 1 on PC until it happens to a new PS studio single player game
Idk are Sony not dumb? There willing to harm PS platform & storefront by not maximizing potential console, game & subscription sold.

Even there investor question the PC strategy knowing it 100% cannibalize hardware, game & subscription sells.

If Lego Horizon Adventure is just Horizon Forbidden West but Legofied I really don’t mind it being day n date on PC. Since it’s really just a $70 Lego filter. But if Lego Horizon Adventure is an original game with a new story completely different the Horizon 1 or Horizon 2 then that would be alarming. Because then what’s to say a spin off GOW like a GOW tactics releases on PC day 1? Hell why wouldn’t these experimental also release on Xbox & Nintendo if the goal is “to reach new audience” slippery slope