Little Doubt Microsoft Will Try To Buy ‘Palworld’ & Pocketpair At This Point |UP| Studio says they are open to being acquired by someone.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Update from studio...

Palworld Dev Says Massive Profits Are ‘Too Big for a Studio With Our Size to Handle’​

Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg, Pocketpair boss Takuro Mizobe confirmed Palworld cost less than ¥1 billion ($6.7 million) to make, and has made tens of billions of yen in profit. For context, ¥10 billion is around $67.2 million.

It’s an amount that is “too big for a studio with our size to handle,” said Mizobe, who later clarified he has no intention of expanding or offering shares in the company. Rather, he wants Pocketpair to remain small (it’s currently 55 people). Mizobe said he is open to a partnership or acquisition, but insisted he has not started buyout talks with Microsoft. Perhaps more pressing, Pocketpair is in talks to bring Palworld to more platforms, suggesting a potential PlayStation 5 and Nintendo console release in the future.

via IGN

There’s Little Doubt Microsoft Will Try To Buy ‘Palworld’ And Pocketpair At This Point​

Paul Tassi
Senior Contributor

Feb 8, 2024,10:14am EST
https://policies.google.com/privacy

guns1

Palworld
POCKETPAIR

While everyone is waiting with bated breath to see what major policy change Microsoft will announce regarding Xbox next week, what’s clear, despite all the doom and gloom, is that they’re not getting out of gaming. Strategy may shift, but they’re still going to be cranking out lots of games they want to see succeed, whether that’s through Game Pass, on Xboxes or now, potentially, on PlayStations.

That’s why in all this chaos I believe something else is no doubt happening behind the scenes. I absolutely have to think that Microsoft is trying to buy Pocketpair, the developer of Palworld, and lock up that explosive hit of a franchise for themselves. Well, for themselves to potentially release on other platforms, but as something they full own.

Palworld recently revealed it had 19 million players, 7 million of which were those who were playing on Xbox Game Pass, where a PlayStation version of the game does not yet exist, as that’s only being “considered” according to Pocketpair.

A Game Pass deal means that Microsoft has already cut Pocketpair a check, but no one, not Pocketpair or Microsoft, expected it to blow up into a 20+ million player game. So now that Game Pass deal may turn into something more. Microsoft has already said they’re throwing support Pocketpair’s way in order to help the game scale, be more stable and allow for more frequent updates for Xbox, but also probably the PC version as well.

hell yeah
hell yeah

Palworld
POCKET PAIR
It does not seem like more than a hop, skip and a jump to Microsoft attempting to buy Pocketpair outright while their heads are still spinning from this meteoric success. It’s hard to know an exact valuation here, but if there are 12 million players of the game, purchased at $26 a piece, that’s $312 million in revenue already earned on a shoestring budget with a team of amateurs. Palworld doesn’t have post-release monetization, so the price is the price, but you have to wonder what Microsoft would be willing to shell out for this, something that they may believe could become their own rival to Pokémon if given enough time, attention and care, and if Game Freak keeps being as complacent as they’ve been the last few generations on the Switch.

So, how much? Of course Microsoft shelled out $69 billion for Activision Blizzard. Zenimax-Bethesda was $7.5 billion. It paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft’s Mojang in 2014. How much would they spend here to lock up Palworld? Half a billion? A billion? Two? Granted we don’t know what the game’s long term prospects are, but if Microsoft, a $3 trillion company, can buy up what is likely to be one of the biggest hits of the year, and something people are genuinely talking about at least temporarily besting Pokémon, yeah, I think they could throw a relatively small amount of cash its way easily enough.
This isn’t good per se, as lord knows we don’t need any more industry consolidation and it’s nice to have big successes out of tiny companies without them being absorbed into megacorps instantly, but I can guarantee these discussions are happening. Maybe there are other bidders, but Microsoft already has this relationship, and I can see them taking it further.
Don’t see the point the game was a flash in the pan. Despite an achieving more than 2x helldivers2 concurrent player numbers on steam it’s alrdy ready trending well below helldivers 2 numbers. It will continue to fall. Only hope now to boost overall player count is to put it on ps5 and it will be just another game Microsoft owes that u can play anywhere. Even if they put it on ps it may pick up for a while than it will slow die because ps gamers alrdy have a lot of games to play.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Devs would be dumb to sell at this point.
I don’t think devs would be dumb to sell Palworld playerbase wise has massively lost its player base, it now pulls 125K peak everyday & is heading in a downward direction. Playerbase has dropped off so much compared to Helldivers 2 & they both release at the same time. I think Palworld not being on PS where most casual are long term has hurt this game gather a massive playerbase in console

Long term wise could they remain a healthy player base or was this just the shiny Pokémon clone of the month? If they can get a huge bag I think that would be the best from them there previous work where “ai generated” asset flip clones of other game I don’t think they’ll be able to produce another game w even a fraction might success. Might aswell cash in, also as a buyer Palworld as a ip is iffy at best like sure making it more polish or working on a Palworld 2 would make the game better & you can expand the ip to animation but those 2 aren’t guaranteed most likely kids & the general casual will stick w Pokémon

Reactions: Bryank75

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Actually bought it when it launched since I was bored and played it for 45 minutes. Refunded it. I can see the appeal and why people are playing it but not for me whatsoever. As for Microsoft acquiring Pocket Pair, shouldn't matter to PlayStation 5 owners because you know Phil loves you guys, you'll get the game down the line and probably in a better state than on Xbox. lol

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
let's hope so, the game is blacklisted across japan with industry professionals refusing to cover it. It's plagiarist, low hanging fruit.

it will make xbox and microsoft even more hated and despised by japanese developers, ahahaha.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think even if they did we would get a PS version sooner, than later