Looks Like FF VII Remake Is Coming To Xbox At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022

Leaked via Xbox Brazil.

Welp, whoever said it was going to stop with XIV is looking pretty stupid now. Just one less classic IP PlayStation was able to hold onto. At this rate I think you should all expect XVI to appear on Xbox early 2024, maybe not even that far before Rebirth on PS5. And, you'll most likely get Rebirth on Xbox by the end of 2024.

Just seeing the gradual erosion of PlayStation's iron-clad association with JRPGs is...something. Still no mention of PS (or Nintendo) in ads for Persona 3 Remake and Metaphor. Very good chance Persona 6 could be Day 1 on both PS5 and Xbox Series (how wild will it be if it's Day 1 Game Pass but you're stuck paying $70+ on PlayStation?). An increasingly likely possibility future mainline Final Fantasy games are Day 1 on PS and Xbox (no more timed exclusivity for Sony). That's already in addition to Dragon Quest having been gone multiplat.

The Xbox fanatics will try shouting "But more people able to play it Day 1 is better!", ....yet clam up when people point to once-multiplat games and IP that were coming to PlayStation, now no longer going there due to Microsoft acquiring big 3P publishers. You don't see them ever bring up the fact Microsoft does just as many 3P timed exclusivity deals and Sony. Where are these people saying games like Ravenlok and STALKER 2 should be on all platforms Day 1? That the PS5 version of Starfield should not have been cancelled?

That's because it has never been about "more games for everybody". That was a ruse on the equally fraudulent pro-consumer mantra Phil Spencer and the rest of Xbox rode upon the past few years. It has always been about removing what makes PlayStation unique, from PlayStation for these people. It's also why they want more PS 1P ports to PC, even Day 1. It won't stop for them until PlayStation is like Xbox, except Xbox will also have many things PlayStation no longer does. That's the death of PlayStation.

And, well, Sony seem more than willing to help that right along. PlayStation 5, home of the timed exclusive 1P & 3P games with cheaper, better versions on PC months later. You can't even really fault Microsoft here: they are making plays and getting scores. It's Sony who seem asleep at the wheel.

But I'll wait until someone chimes in about record-breaking console sales (which were 1 million under target for the previous fiscal quarter, necessitating new pricing promotion and discounts BTW) mainly off momentum from 2018-2022 releases, of games created under pre-Jim Ryan/Herman Hulst leadership, to try disproving what's been said here.

Lol.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Lol hopefully this "erosion" of playstation was happenning when SE released ff13 and ff15 on Xbox aswell.

Let's not forget octopath traveller exclusive on GP that must have sent Jim Ryan running around SIE head quarters in a frantic.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Isn't that the "not you" meme format? lol

For example:

H6wEvLO.jpg

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think they used random pictures from fathers and childs.

It is written “Happy father day for all the families”.
And the pics are from games that have father and their childs.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony wastes money on timed exclusivity and small studios, while MS is buying out major IPs that will never release on PS again.

Maybe Sony needs a few mobile studios to balance this out. That'll show MS./s

Anyway, as I keep saying, can't blame the big bad MS anymore. If you're unwilling to secure IPs for several years while watching the competition buy quite a few of them out, it's on you. And Sony isn't this poor little company. They offered around 60 billion for Fox, yet refuse to invest in retaining their gaming IPs.

@FatKaz

MS wasn't making the same moves back then. This'll be another Sega situation.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Sony's complacency showing through. Really seemed like they wanted to make PlayStation the home of Final Fantasy but I guess they don't care as much as we all thought. What happened with Sega will now happen with Square.
Unfortunately Sony can't compete with MS' bank accounts.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Lol hopefully this "erosion" of playstation was happenning when SE released ff13 and ff15 on Xbox aswell.

I think you guys need to see the bigger picture. FF 13 and 15 were not incidentally a part of a plan, laid out through internal emails & documents, to spend Sony out of the market through targeting their closest 3P partners for acquisition. They were not a means of buttressing Square-Enix into eventually preferring them as a platform holder for marketing deals and release priority (if not later on acquisition).

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Microsoft is looking to turn Square-Enix into another 3P ally of theirs the same we've seen with Sega/Atlus-Sammy. Who would've seen the results we've seen now, coming back even two years ago? And, Sega/Atlus are one of the other big Japanese 3P publishers Microsoft have expressed intently wanting to acquire.

Nothing really "prevents" them from buying a Japanese 3P publisher BTW; they just can't do a hostile takeover is all. But companies like Sega/Atlus are not under a "protected" status, so if they want to sell, and Microsoft wants to buy them...well that's that. The same pertains to Square-Enix. The previous Square-Enix management may've been considerate of deeper partnerships and/or acquisition by Sony, but the new management might not be within the next 2-3 years when Sony's supposedly finally ready to make a move.

By that point, they may be more willing to stay independent and do partnerships with Microsoft. Which, hey, ideally I'd love if ALL 3P pubs stayed independent, but realistically that ideology doesn't hold up considering some of the moves MS have already made to remove 3P options from the market, expressed intentions of doing more (and targeting those close to Sony on top of that), and their endgame in this.

I'm telling you, this renewed relation between Square-Enix and Microsoft is NOT like the previous ones; I think it's going to take you and others by surprise and much of this can fall at the feet of Sony's hubris.

I think they used random pictures from fathers and childs.

It is written “Happy father day for all the families”.
And the pics are from games that have father and their childs.

Why would they use a picture from a game that isn't on their platform?

The only answer is: it's not on their platform...yet. But it's very likely on the way. Circumstantial evidence would back that up.

Otherwise if not...then like I've said in the past, Microsoft should be investigated for marketing disinformation, astroturfing, and so forth.

They can in many ways

They can but they don't seem interested or are just LTTP at this point. There's something to be said about securing your legacy, especially in terms of optics perception among the enthusiasts in your customer base. Sony have been very poor at recognizing this and being proactive on it.

While this ABK BS was going on, they should've been starting and getting deep into a mix of 3P dev/pub acquisitions, share buys, and investments of their own. Maybe give a word or two about not necessarily liking the ABK acquisition but, it really wasn't seemingly worth all the effort & attention placed on it at the end of the day.

Now it feels like they're trying to play catch-up in that regard. Not a good spot to be in, regardless who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer and Johnic

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
They can in many ways
Sure, but it's very hard.

I think Phil Spencer had said before on a podcast that Sony does things (makes deals) which make life very hard for Xbox to gain access to content... If Microsoft really wanted to, they could make life very hard for Sony in return. They could be very bullish and buy exclusivity for a lot of content.. but it will be costly.

Whether they would get the go ahead to do that is another thing entirely though.. but I don't think Sony helped when they pushed so hard against MS acquiring Activision.

SquareEnix just got a new CEO right? New CEO - new line of thinking... Perhaps Phil sees it as the perfect opportunity to foster a new relationship with SquareEnix and even things out?

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
I believe eventually FFVII Remake come to Xbox… after all they will even receive a over 14 years old FF next year.

I’m just saying that XboxBR is not that reliable.
If official Xbox account do that I will have more weight.

Wasn't it Xbox Brazil that leaked (shipped) numbers for Xbox Series and Xbox One at a developer's conference a couple months ago?

Yes it's not official until it's official. But we can't be choosey when to believe a source and when not to, not to this degree, IMO.

Otherwise if it's just them throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, then whatever. But I think that highlights a problem WRT Sony's lack of a mascot/figurehead in the community to speak with enthusiasts and media regularly (for things such as keeping discourse in their favor).

What sega situation? The imaginery partnership they lost?

Microsoft somehow getting seemingly every big Sega/Atlus game into Game Pass Day 1. Having marketing rights (seemingly) to Persona 3 Remake and Metaphor. Sega outright saying they feel Microsoft "value them" more than Sony (and Nintendo).

No one would've seen this happening just a couple years ago. My how time flies and things change, eh?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic
Status
Not open for further replies.