"Major European retailer is struggling to sell anything with an Xbox logo on it"

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They could be selling other things in that space... seems like a bit of a waste not to try and see if they changed things, if they could increase sales / profits.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Xbox never recovered from Xbox One imo. It was all downhill from there.
They were doing decent up until they brought in gamepass that's what botched them in the end. They had more player engagement but didn't get very many sales or if any from those people that did play it. You can't motivate devs to put in quality work if they're not getting funding for it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They were doing decent up until they brought in gamepass that's what botched them in the end. They had more player engagement but didn't get very many sales or if any from those people that did play it. You can't motivate devs to put in quality work if they're not getting funding for it.
Phil Spencer + Kinect + Gamepass. By far the main reasons why Xbox failed so miserably.

- Phil Spencer destroyed their internal studios and for over 15 years was unable to get them back in shape despite spending nearly $100B in an attempt to fix the problem.
- Kinect killed all the momentum that they had from the early success of the 360 and baited Phil Spencer into further destroying their internal studios.
- Gamepass, specially the day one commitment, only made any sense if MS was trying to destroy PlayStation by outspending them and crashing the premium games market.

TVTVTVT, always-on, bad hardware, those were all misses but not what actually destroyed them.

Money from MS, PR, control of gaming media/social media on the other hand are the main reasons why Xbox was able to hang around for this long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer + Kinect + Gamepass. By far the main reasons why Xbox failed so miserably.

- Phil Spencer destroyed their internal studios and for over 15 years was unable to get them back in shape despite spending nearly $100B in an attempt to fix the problem.
- Kinect killed all the momentum that they had from the early success of the 360 and baited Phil Spencer into further destroying their internal studios.
- Gamepass, specially the day one commitment, only made any sense if MS was trying to destroy PlayStation by outspending them and crashing the premium games market.

TVTVTVT, always-on, bad hardware, those were all misses but not what actually destroyed them.

Money from MS, PR, control of gaming media/social media on the other hand are the main reasons why Xbox was able to hang around for this long.
Rip.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Does Chris Dring Explicitly say major publisher is considering dropping support or is that just in the headline?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Does Christ Dring Explicitly say major publisher is considering dropping support or is that just in the headline?
It's short he literally says "Major retailer" having issues selling Xbox stuff. That title doesn't say anyone is dropping support.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
At this point, if you're still one of the few xbox true believers out there, what kind of copium is left for you to latch on to? Your only hope this year is either an 6 hour graphics demo, or a janky looking obsidian RPG. Maybe latch on to DD2 and claim it as "theirs"?

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Xbox died when a young lass said the words "fist bump" to her 'dad' on stage while playing Kinect.

I don't blame her, I blame the people who thought that demo was a good idea, was what the Xbox fans wanted because it wasn't.

The cope lasted 12 years.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
At this point, if you're still one of the few xbox true believers out there, what kind of copium is left for you to latch on to? Your only hope this year is either an 6 hour graphics demo, or a janky looking obsidian RPG. Maybe latch on to DD2 and claim it as "theirs"?
Ive seen Destin and Jez talking about DD2 for what thats worth.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I suspect Brazil was a relatively strong market for Xbox earlier this gen and still Xbox gave up on selling physical copies. It's just a matter of time until they completely give up on Europe as well.

The amount of people trying to sells Series consoles for really low values here is also crazy. That platform is 100% dead.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some major European retailers did stop selling stuff with Xbox logos on it a while ago. Other ones only have a few Xbox games in a corner of their gaming section.

Or well, at least in Spain.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Could Curry's be it maybe?, i recall them promoting " Get a free Xbox's "on some of their televisions ranges they wanted to sell a year back.

Yep could be.

Just realised he said Major retailer and not Major Game retailer.

So it could anyone of Currys, Argos, GAME etc.

I highly doubt it is outside UK since he is British.

Reactions: Sircaw

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
He is British and the only Major Game Retailer left in the UK is GAME.

Cex are preowned.
Chris does generally make distinctions between UK and europe in his reports and general talk.

I'm thinking he probably means a mainland european retailer, like mediamarket, fnac etc.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Chris does generally make distinctions between UK and europe in his reports and general talk.

I'm thinking he probably means a mainland european retailer, like mediamarket, fnac etc.

I think he has said European to keep it vague.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Bake Off GIF by PBS