March 2023 NPD, PS5 has outsold PS4 in the same time period (29 months), PS5 best-selling in both units and dollar sales, Switch #2, Xbox #3

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
PS5 was just behind PS4 due supply issues... the demand is way stronger.

Seems like NPD is not tracking PSVR2... or at least not putting it in the Accessory revneue... weird.
Yeah it is odd. IIRC the Dual Sense Edge is only sold through Sony as well, so not sure why they can’t get numbers in PSVR2.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW we have some data from @Welfare.

PS4 March 2016 LTD: 13.38M
PS5 LTD November 2022: 10.59M
PS5 December 2022 to March 2023: > 2.79M

If we assume PS5 did around 1.4m in December and knowing February as over 533k.
That means both January and March were > 400k... or maybe March > 500k and January > 300k... a mix of these.
In any case how much over 2.79m and how much it sold in December 2022 can make the January or March lower or higher.

I believe > 500k is very safe to work and just that alone put the celling to LTD at around 13.9m.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Ps5 has also surpassed ps4 lifetime in japan, other countries can't be too far behind.

Europe will probably need to do the most legwork to get it to surpass the ps4 launch combined sales, as sony only really started sending a lot of stock to Europe this year.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ps5 has also surpassed ps4 lifetime in japan, other countries can't be too far behind.

Europe will probably need to do the most legwork to get it to surpass the ps4 launch combined sales, as sony only really started sending a lot of stock to Europe this year.
Sales already exploded in Europe, it's over, PS5 is going to be bigger than PS4 and the Series is going to do worse than the One.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They can still go much higher in pretty much every territory.

I know some people dont agree but a Pro model would also push sales much higher after 2024.

The slim model, if it has a smaller footprint and a more traditional / black box design might also appeal to people that are a bit more conservative in those regards.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
7ipt82.jpg

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
They need to lock this Jim Ryan guy up.
All that aside he has got to be the most successful officer in Sony’s history at this point. If this says anything to Sony leadership its that Jim can be trusted if they give him the billions to buy a big publisher, the dude cant miss.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They can still go much higher in pretty much every territory.

I know some people dont agree but a Pro model would also push sales much higher after 2024.

The slim model, if it has a smaller footprint and a more traditional / black box design might also appeal to people that are a bit more conservative in those regards.
It's going to need games that are actually being held back graphically before a Pro model starts making sense.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's going to need games that are actually being held back graphically before a Pro model starts making sense.
Yeah, I don't think a pro model is necessary yet. There aren't enough games taking full advantage of the standard PS5 yet.

Reactions: arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Cyberpunk and several others.... would benefit massively.

Recently things like Ghostwire and RE4 would also be nice with a boost.

-------------------------------------------------------

Regarding NPD / Circana

It's incredibly frustrating that they don't release figures, is this at the behest of Microsoft to not embarrass them?
it just happened to be that they stopped doing numbers when Microsoft stopped releasing numbers?

Or am I wrong?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Regarding NPD / Circana

It's incredibly frustrating that they don't release figures, is this at the behest of Microsoft to not embarrass them?
it just happened to be that they stopped doing numbers when Microsoft stopped releasing numbers?

Or am I wrong?

I think it's more about putting them behind paywalls.

MS not releasing official numbers on the other hand.....

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The Last of Us is in the same position it was in during it’s launch month.

I have a feelin Factions is going to be a bigger deal than spider-man when its officially announced and shown off. It’s going to get the multiplayer and single player crowd at the same time

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think it's more about putting them behind paywalls.

MS not releasing official numbers on the other hand.....
I think some publishers asked them to not release numbers anymore.
Until 2010 or so it was shared the hardware numbers and some software numbers... after they changed to only platform placements and finally removed all.

Don't be surprise if Sony asked it due Vita... that fits when Sony startedt o combine hardware numbers to hide Vita numbers.
But MS should have asked too when Xbox One released.

To be fair seems to be on the best interests to all publishers that NPD hide most of data.