Marvel Spiderman 2 has sold more than 11m copies

c81

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
So I remembered correctly.

The Spider-man 2 sales are not good indeed.
I expected it to be close to 20 million right now.

I've noticed the same with forbidden west which sold significantly less than zero dawn.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

What poor analysis.

Spider-Man 1 released in 2018 i.e. 5 years after the launch of the PS4. That's nearly 2 years of install base extra. And on top of that was a 60 dollar title compared to a 70 dollar title.

Why you would expect Spider-Man 2 to magically get to 20 million in 6 months when the first game with a larger userbase took two years to get that is remarkably dense.

Spider-Man 2 will continue to be one of the best selling PlayStation games this year, especially in the holiday season. It's less than 2.2 million units behind the first game launch aligned with a smaller userbase.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Not great numbers, probably quite a few waiting for that PC port.

Yep. You have some apologists in here claiming it's due to a lower install base (which surely is a factor), but forget that Spider-Man 2 was basically the only PS studio release of the year and the only game after GoW Ragnarök.

Also Spider-Man 1 was the first from a new dev after years of mediocre Activision games, people had more reasons to be cautious when it launched.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Close to what?? Ok that's just delusional to expect 20 million in 7 months lol.

It should be around 14 - 15 million

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think the $70 price tag really is putting a damper on game sales this gen. Most game sequels are selling less than their predecessors.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I think the $70 price tag really is putting a damper on game sales this gen. Most game sequels are selling less than their predecessors.
Yup! They need to get as much $70 sales then at least drop it to $60 after 3 - 4 months.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Games are going on sale less often and for less drastic discounting.

Games are also showing to have legs as well. There are always methods to boost individual sales.

This Spider-Man 2 game for example will continue to sell through out the year and will get a sizeable bump this holiday and will probably be promoted as a PS5 Pro enhanced game.

When the next Spider-Man movie comes out, it'll probably boost the sales of the game. When the game releases on PC, it'll likely bump up the sales of the game on PS5 too. So will the release of the Venom game and potentially the Wolverine game as well. I'm sure they're planning some elements of crossover.