Marvel Spiderman 2 has sold more than 11m copies

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

the first spiderman game made 33 million copy

from 33 million to 11 million is huge

i know it havent been a full year since spiderman 2 came out in 2023 but still its a really big gap

Are you serious or what here?

• Spider-Man didn't sell 33 million in 7 months
  • The 33 million includes the Remaster on PS5
  • The 33 million includes the PC release
  • It didn't sell 33 million at full price
4 years, a next gen remaster, and a PC port, and significant discounting...

This forum is increasingly becoming useless... I really thought it was this cool place for well thought out analysis... but this is pure trash.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
what you're saying is something fundamentally different though, you're saying people already on pc aren't going to buy a ps5
Not really, no? You said this

The reason why I say it's likely not due to PC is because the PC numbers have been falling as well, if it was because people were abandoning console you'd expect to see an increase in PC sales.
Which is not necessarily correct. People can abandon the purchase of a console and keep their existing graphics card, they are fundamentally different things.

Before you'd need a Playstation to play Playstation exclusives. Now you can use your existing 6 or 7 year old computer to do so, no upgrades required.

Reactions: arvfab

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

This forum is increasingly becoming useless... I really thought it was this cool place for well thought out analysis... but this is pure trash.

I'm really curios. Does some people really like to be dumb?

Pogo

Banned
13 May 2024

most videogame sales are in the front or at least in the first full year

after that it will slowed down drastically

idk if you intentionally tried to ignore this but most console game has been like this

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Spider-Man sold 9M copies in two months
Spider-Man 2 sold 10M copies in just shy of four months

If we math this
  • There were 50M PS5 consoles sold by 20/12/2023. While we don't have SM2 numbers at that time, we know that they had 6.1M units sold by mid-November, and 10M sold by early-February, meaning we can assume around 8 to 9M units sold by December (christmas effect). If we math this to 9M copies, 18% of all PS5 users had the game
  • There were 91.6M PS4 consoles sold by the end of 2018, and we know SM had sold 12.65M copies by the same date, which makes it so that 14% of all PS4 users had bought a copy by then.
Math checks out.

However considering the supposed 22M sales for the PS4 version, that same version ends up with a similar 18% of all PS4 users with the game - Not sure if these are accurate though.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
11 million is a lot specially at the price it sold. It will keep selling too, and eventually it will sell on PC, it’s a smash hit and all the haters who have been campaigning against it and other PS first party keep being left in the dust.

Pretending this is bad news just makes you look like a fool.

Pogo

Banned
13 May 2024
11 million is a lot specially at the price it sold. It will keep selling too, and eventually it will sell on PC, it’s a smash hit and all the haters who have been campaigning against it and other PS first party keep being left in the dust.

Pretending this is bad news just makes you look like a fool.
from previous page i read baldurs gate 3 sold more than spiderman 2 ( 15 million vs 11 million)

i know its a multiplat game but its a crpg and considered to be niche game

spiderman 2 should be doing alot more than bg3 numbers, it has wider appeal, massive marketing and marvell superhero brand recognition

im gona say the main culprit here are people waiting for PC version for Spiderman 2

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
BG3 was a smash hit and one of the best games ever made, it dominated the gaming culture discourse. Enough with the low iq bait.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
most videogame sales are in the front or at least in the first full year

after that it will slowed down drastically

idk if you intentionally tried to ignore this but most console game has been like this

And yet you have the numbers right in front of you

Sans_titre.png

The game sold 13.2 million roughly in its first year on the market.

The Remaster released November 2020, and the PC port launch until August 2022.

Spider-Man sold 5 million copies in calendar year 2020 alone (not including December).

Also the link you're referring to is including Miles Morales in the 33 million.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I think its actually very good for a PS5 only game.

People will look to upgrade from PS4 as well.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446

the first spiderman game made 33 million copy

from 33 million to 11 million is huge

i know it havent been a full year since spiderman 2 came out in 2023 but still its a really big gap
That 33 million number is for both Miles Morales and Spiderman 2018

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
~20% of PS5 owners bought it, which is very decent for an exclusive games.

For exemple Zelda TOTK who is considered a huge succes it's only 15%.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
And yet you have the numbers right in front of you

Sans_titre.png

The game sold 13.2 million roughly in its first year on the market.

The Remaster released November 2020, and the PC port launch until August 2022.

Spider-Man sold 5 million copies in calendar year 2020 alone (not including December).

Also the link you're referring to is including Miles Morales in the 33 million.

I think also @Pogo should understand how many PS4's were out in the wild. Spiderman 2018 was released in the 5th year Spiderman 2 was released in the 3rd year.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I said what I said. Tears of kingdom was frontloaded and forgettable experience
Yes, and what you said was that Spiderman 2 would outsell Tears of the Kingdom. Now I give you that TotK had 3 extra months, but those sales figures that you, yourself, posted, show it 8 million ahead of where Spidey is now, 6 months later.

I hope going forward in life you take this as a lesson to remove the fan blinders from your life and consider the world as it is and not as you want it to be.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yes, and what you said was that Spiderman 2 would outsell Tears of the Kingdom. Now I give you that TotK had 3 extra months, but those sales figures that you, yourself, posted, show it 8 million ahead of where Spidey is now, 6 months later.

I hope going forward in life you take this as a lesson to remove the fan blinders from your life and consider the world as it is and not as you want it to be.
yeah I did and I was wrong but the way tok sales tanked won’t take long for Spider-Man 2 outsell it.