Marvel Spiderman 2 has sold more than 11m copies

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
70x11.000.000=770000000 in 7 months

God help me with some of these takes

It's actually going to be a close call considering half of them are boxed sales which Sony gets a much smaller cut of, and they have to pay a big royalty to disney on every console bundle (iirc it was 50%). Won't have any issue making a big profit with long tail sales, but it's probably going to make quite a bit less margin than the first one.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Not great numbers, probably quite a few waiting for that PC port.
Yeah i can say with full confidence this stat indicates spiderman 2 underperformed

Lost to baldurs gate 3 if im right? ( bg3 sold over 15 million copy last time i checked)

I know bg3 is a multiplat game but still its the more niche crpg game

The first spiderman game numbers are way higher than this

PC port effect are real

Lets see how much the number can improved by the end of this year

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
It's actually going to be a close call considering half of them are boxed sales which Sony gets a much smaller cut of, and they have to pay a big royalty to disney on every console bundle (iirc it was 50%). Won't have any issue making a big profit with long tail sales, but it's probably going to make quite a bit less margin than the first one.
diesney doesn’t get 50 of the console sales. They get 50 of the game bundled . And that’s probably less than 2mil. So it’s nothing burger when bundles supposed to be free game. They even managed to squeeze in

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Yeah i can say with full confidence this stat indicates spiderman 2 underperformed

- 70$
- Bad Story
- Boring Heiley/MJ missions
- Bad word of mouth from collaboration with Sweet Baby
- No big graphical leap

I mean what the fuck is this?

• haha
Reactions: Airbus

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Both Spiderman's were bundled with consoles. You'll see Spiderman 2 sales figures take a big jump when Sony does a price drop.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
diesney doesn’t get 50 of the console sales. They get 50 of the game bundled . And that’s probably less than 2mil. So it’s nothing burger when bundles supposed to be free game. They even managed to squeeze in
the game is at least 50% physical as well, so that leaves around 30% as full priced digital copies where sony gets 100% of revenue. 5.5 mil physical, 3 mil digital, 2m bundle.
5.5 x $40 wholesale price = $220m
3 x $70 = $210m
2 x $35 = $70m
the total revenue sony got was closer to $500m than $800m. That's a much closer margin than Sony would want.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
the game is at least 50% physical as well, so that leaves around 30% as full priced digital copies where sony gets 100% of revenue. 5.5 mil physical, 3 mil digital, 2m bundle.
5.5 x $40 wholesale price = $220m
3 x $70 = $210m
2 x $35 = $70m
the total revenue sony got was closer to $500m than $800m. That's a much closer margin than Sony would want.
Disney doesn’t get 50% of physical sales

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's a coincidence that people predicted that console sales would slump and as a consequence game sales would slump.

I bloody hate the whole doomer thing to try and remove any credibility from those that made accurate predictions based on sonys own stupidity.

Reactions: Danja

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's a coincidence that people predicted that console sales would slump and as a consequence game sales would slump.

I bloody hate the whole doomer thing to try and remove any credibility from those that made accurate predictions based on sonys own stupidity.
It's also possible that lower console sales and game sales are due to the $70 price tag, lack of a permanent price cut to $399 for the console itself, overall economic conditions and inflation/pressure on finances on the lower and middle classes. I think it's a little too early to say that PS5 sales are falling due to PC ports because the effect is much more gradual. I think we'll really start to see the effect starting with PS6.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's also possible that lower console sales and game sales are due to the $70 price tag, lack of a permanent price cut to $399 for the console itself, overall economic conditions and inflation/pressure on finances on the lower and middle classes. I think it's a little too early to say that PS5 sales are falling due to PC ports because the effect is much more gradual. I think we'll really start to see the effect starting with PS6.
Again, I'm sure it's all a coincidence and that some people predicted it and got incredibly lucky. And this year, if they miss their targets again, I'm sure it will all be a coincidence again. And I don't fundamentally disagree with your arguments here as well, they must have an impact too.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Again, I'm sure it's all a coincidence and that some people predicted it and got incredibly lucky. And this year, if they miss their targets again, I'm sure it will all be a coincidence again. And I don't fundamentally disagree with your arguments here as well, they must have an impact too.
The reason why I say it's likely not due to PC is because the PC numbers have been falling as well, if it was because people were abandoning console you'd expect to see an increase in PC sales. But both AMD and nvidia have reported absolutely horrible performance in their gaming divisions' revenues, far worse than consoles have been doing.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The reason why I say it's likely not due to PC is because the PC numbers have been falling as well, if it was because people were abandoning console you'd expect to see an increase in PC sales. But both AMD and nvidia have reported absolutely horrible performance in their gaming divisions' revenues, far worse than consoles have been doing.
There's a difference between not buying a graphics card vs not buying a console though. A very big one.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
How do you want me to explain? It's like saying there's a difference between buying a car or an expensive engine instead. A console is plug and play, "cheap", whereas a graphics card is part of a whole machine and can't do anything on its own. You can't compare both.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How do you want me to explain? It's like saying there's a difference between buying a car or an expensive engine instead. A console is plug and play, "cheap", whereas a graphics card is part of a whole machine and can't do anything on its own. You can't compare both.
but you are saying people are leaving console due to PC. You aren't gaming on PC without a GPU, especially not a Sony game - not with integrated graphics at least. Pretty sure things like the semicustom designs of the Steamdeck APUs are also counted as gaming revenue so no, I don't get your point.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
but you are saying people are leaving console due to PC. You aren't gaming on PC without a GPU, especially not a Sony game - not with integrated graphics at least. Pretty sure things like the semicustom designs of the Steamdeck APUs are also counted as gaming revenue so no, I don't get your point.
But you don't need to upgrade your graphics card?

R&C Rift Apart: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 470
Got: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
HFW: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB or AMD Radeon RX 5500XT 4GB

Sure, you won't play at settings parity or 4k, but you absolutely do not to upgrade a graphics card to play a new game on PC. Saying "people are not moving due to GPUs not being sold" is just a false equivalence.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
But you don't need to upgrade your graphics card?

R&C Rift Apart: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 470
Got: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
HFW: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB or AMD Radeon RX 5500XT 4GB

Sure, you won't play at settings parity or 4k, but you absolutely do not to upgrade a graphics card to play a new game on PC. Saying "people are not moving due to GPUs not being sold" is just a false equivalence.
what you're saying is something fundamentally different though, you're saying people already on pc aren't going to buy a ps5

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
The reason why I say it's likely not due to PC is because the PC numbers have been falling as well
Hard to gauge game sales on PC bcos games on PC are pirated like hell

What you see on those pc number are just the fraction of pc player who bought the game legally

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

Well Xbox sales are dropping like a rock, affecting AMD.

Switch is in decline too, and we don't know if Switch 2 is already being produced (I guess it's not), which might affect Nvidia. Do we know if and by how much GeForce Now is profitable?