Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered | PC - PS5 - PS4 | Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

Md Ray

21 Jun 2022
So now we know straight from Nixxes that PC has an additional CPU cost for decompressing the game assets from storage into memory -- causing framerates to dip below 60fps w/ RT even on a CPU like Ryzen 5 3600 (paired with RTX 3090), whereas on PS5 it's done through the dedicated decompression unit built into the main SoC, not by the CPU. And it holds rock solid 60fps with ray tracing enabled. This is what I've been telling you guys. Some of you kept telling me that more system memory + faster storage speeds will just make the issue disappear. That's not how it works. You see... This is why DirectStorage and RTX IO/SAS (SmartAccess Storage) are coming.

D

Deleted member 13

So now we know straight from Nixxes that PC has an additional CPU cost for decompressing the game assets from storage into memory -- causing framerates to dip below 60fps w/ RT even on a CPU like Ryzen 5 3600 (paired with RTX 3090), whereas on PS5 it's done through the dedicated decompression unit built into the main SoC, not by the CPU. And it holds rock solid 60fps with ray tracing enabled. This is what I've been telling you guys. Some of you kept telling me that more system memory + faster storage speeds will just make the issue disappear. That's not how it works. You see... This is why DirectStorage and RTX IO/SAS (SmartAccess Storage) are coming.
While that's the case, it doesn't point to better looking assets. That's the point I was trying to make. The limit for looking better is going to be the GPU - not the SSD + decompression.

Furthermore, the main CPU limitation is in the building of the BVH in the RT code. If they had built a different path to building their BVH with some Nvidia specific code to offload to the RT cores, I'm sure that would diminish the FPS hit. So I'm more inclined to believe that because of their specific code for the PS5 SKU and it not being completely portable to the PC is the cause of the CPU limit. In other words, had they prepared for writing code to the PC GPUs, they could have used the bandwidth in another way that wouldn't cause a dip below 60FPS.

Playing the game more in all of it's glory, I can see the advances in Insomniac's graphics engine. It's definitely doing a lot of things right. Their PBR shaders are second to none - implementing velvet shader (which is quite complex) was a big surprise. Their hair shader in the game has 3 specular lobes unlike most games and it looks great. The texture + normal map detail is sharp and clear. The game is definitely a next-gen game. The only gripe I have is in the SSS skin. But this problem is with every single game out there. They just can't solve the indirect lighting on skin and have to revert to using ambient lighting which destroys the look on the skin.

D

Deleted member 13

@NXGamer - I found a bug in Spiderman where the anisotropic filtering isn't working properly. I forced it in the Nvidia control panel and whoa boy textures look a LOT better both at grazing angles and with distance. Did you find that to be the case with your setup?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
@NXGamer - I found a bug in Spiderman where the anisotropic filtering isn't working properly. I forced it in the Nvidia control panel and whoa boy textures look a LOT better both at grazing angles and with distance. Did you find that to be the case with your setup?
ha!
I would never find it myself as for like 20 years now, I have af x16 forced always in nvcp

Reactions: Deleted member 13

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
While that's the case, it doesn't point to better looking assets. That's the point I was trying to make. The limit for looking better is going to be the GPU - not the SSD + decompression.

Furthermore, the main CPU limitation is in the building of the BVH in the RT code. If they had built a different path to building their BVH with some Nvidia specific code to offload to the RT cores, I'm sure that would diminish the FPS hit. So I'm more inclined to believe that because of their specific code for the PS5 SKU and it not being completely portable to the PC is the cause of the CPU limit. In other words, had they prepared for writing code to the PC GPUs, they could have used the bandwidth in another way that wouldn't cause a dip below 60FPS.

Playing the game more in all of it's glory, I can see the advances in Insomniac's graphics engine. It's definitely doing a lot of things right. Their PBR shaders are second to none - implementing velvet shader (which is quite complex) was a big surprise. Their hair shader in the game has 3 specular lobes unlike most games and it looks great. The texture + normal map detail is sharp and clear. The game is definitely a next-gen game. The only gripe I have is in the SSS skin. But this problem is with every single game out there. They just can't solve the indirect lighting on skin and have to revert to using ambient lighting which destroys the look on the skin.
so you FINALLY admit optimization for a platform will give better results instead of the brute force approach?

Reactions: Md Ray
D

Deleted member 13

so you FINALLY admit optimization for a platform will give better results instead of the brute force approach?
I never said optimizing wouldn't give better performance than not optimizing. I believe I said that code-to-the-metal isn't a thing anymore. I also said that brute force approach could win if given a high-end PC GPU because it has enough bandwidth to do so.

For example, in the PS5's case - lowering the resolution of a RT reflection and updating it at a quarter speed is an optimization that's NOT coding to the metal. Removing that optimization in order to see the best results is considered brute forcing it for the sake of better image quality (which the PC GPU can do).

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
I never said optimizing wouldn't give better performance than not optimizing. I believe I said that code-to-the-metal isn't a thing anymore. I also said that brute force approach could win if given a high-end PC GPU because it has enough bandwidth to do so.

For example, in the PS5's case - lowering the resolution of a RT reflection and updating it at a quarter speed is an optimization that's NOT coding to the metal. Removing that optimization in order to see the best results is considered brute forcing it for the sake of better image quality (which the PC GPU can do).
picard-headache.jpg