Marvel's Wolverine Aims to Achieve Senua II level of graphics

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Insomniac-Games-aims-for-Hellblade-2-inspired-photorealism-for-Marvels-Wolverine.jpeg

Senua from Hellblade 2 appears in Insomniac’s slides as a visual quality goal that the PlayStation studio is aiming to achieve in Marvel’s Wolverine.

A couple of days ago, Insomniac Games suffered a massive ransomware attack, as a result of which many of the company’s internal and confidential files were leaked online. The leak included a fully playable build of Marvel’s Wolverine, a ton of concept art for the studio’s upcoming games, road maps, various presentations, documents and slides. In one of the slides posted on Reddit, Insomniac Games presented a visual target for Wolverine in the Photogrammetry category.

The slide explains how the studio aims to use real-world scan data to create realistic characters, and uses Hellblade 2’s protagonist as an example of the level of realism. In the slide, Insomniac also noted how developers can use 4D scan data to create “realistic” materials, render them in the game engine, and then artistically tweak the models to create memorable and compelling characters.

• Informative
Reactions: Frozone and Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Insomniac-Games-aims-for-Hellblade-2-inspired-photorealism-for-Marvels-Wolverine.jpeg

A couple of days ago, Insomniac Games suffered a massive ransomware attack, as a result of which many of the company’s internal and confidential files were leaked online. The leak included a fully playable build of Marvel’s Wolverine, a ton of concept art for the studio’s upcoming games, road maps, various presentations, documents and slides. In one of the slides posted on Reddit, Insomniac Games presented a visual target for Wolverine in the Photogrammetry category.

The slide explains how the studio aims to use real-world scan data to create realistic characters, and uses Hellblade 2’s protagonist as an example of the level of realism. In the slide, Insomniac also noted how developers can use 4D scan data to create “realistic” materials, render them in the game engine, and then artistically tweak the models to create memorable and compelling characters.
As long as they stay away from the Hellblade's shitty combat, it should do fine.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So the style is not set to match anything we've seen of the game so far it seems.

Ok I'm gonna tell the future.

PS fans are gonna say it's the best looking game ever and WAY better looking than Hellblade 2.

Xbox fans will say Hellblade 2 is WAY better looking than Wolverine and PS fans are blind.

Both games will probably look about the same.

Everyone involved with be a loser.

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
So the style is not set to match anything we've seen of the game so far it seems.

Ok I'm gonna tell the future.

PS fans are gonna say it's the best looking game ever and WAY better looking than Hellblade 2.

Xbox fans will say Hellblade 2 is WAY better looking than Wolverine and PS fans are blind.

Both games will probably look about the same.

Everyone involved with be a loser.

I win. I'm definitely playing HB2 and I cannot wait for Wolverine! I'll enjoy both and be flabbergasted by the graphics by both.

Reactions: Frozone

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People are acting like wolverine is the only playstation game coming out in the next couple of years lol

There will be a lot of games that look as good or better than Hellblade 2 and probably play better

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
You mean that game that's not released yet & will most likely be heavily downgraded on Xbox consoles 🤣
Exactly, I was going to say the same thing.
People are acting like wolverine is the only playstation game coming out in the next couple of years lol

There will be a lot of games that look as good or better than Hellblade 2 and probably play better
By the time hellblade finally comes out, I doubt it will look as good as TLOU2

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lol even Sony devs know Hellblade looks phenomenal. Had an entire thread of people telling me hellblade looked so so and other games had came out that looks better.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Frozone

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I dont need super realistic art style, I'd like something slightly stylizes with those comic book influences...

Then they'll complain about the cost of making it...

I'm sure it'll be great anyway, I have huge faith in Insomniac.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I dont need super realistic art style, I'd like something slightly stylizes with those comic book influences...

Then they'll complain about the cost of making it...

I'm sure it'll be great anyway, I have huge faith in Insomniac.
For me wolverine has to be gritty, visceral and lifelike. I don't want the 90s cartoon version of Wolverine.

Reactions: nongkris

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Any footage they show will be captured on a monster pc they certainly wouldn't show it running on series S , with ps5 games they show everything captured on ps5 so you know its going to look like that when you play it
Remember when they got caught showing games at conventions they claimed was on Xbox hardware but when ppl looked under they found monster PC's connected to Xbox controlers hidden behind panels. You cannot make this shit up!

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
For me wolverine has to be gritty, visceral and lifelike. I don't want the 90s cartoon version of Wolverine.
Doesn't need to be cartoony but again we're getting a stage where we are hitting diminishing returns with realistic graphics and personally... I don't need ultra realistic graphics coupled with gore. It can be gritty and still be stylized.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Ninja Theory has always delivered graphically. I won't doubt them but I am sure they are struggling with scaling because of the Series S

Reactions: Would_you_kindly