Marvel's Wolverine Aims to Achieve Senua II level of graphics

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Who said it looked like Trash?
The same people who wrote this in the game's thread after the game awards, apparently.

Looks good. Gameplay deep dive as opposed to super cuts will tell more.
looks very good,but it looks way worse than the last cave video with the giant
Looks good! Not as good as Horizon: FW, but fine enough for an Xbox game.
I feel like I am going to end up being more depressed than Senua if I end up playing this game.

the environments are so bleak looking.

Facial animations look really good.

As far as i remember people said the combat was rubbish in the first one, hopefully, they have improved it.

Otherwise, it looks very solid.
It’s Ninja Theory.

You’ll get sometimes-stunning visuals, technical issues and shit gameplay.
Looks very good, but let's see how much of those are bullshots vs actual gameplay. Forza Motorsport was also running on Xbox Series X and then was downgraded to hell and back, to the point where it looks worse than Forza Motorsport 7 in certain scenarios.

Edit: After watching in full-screen
  • 00:21 - Ground textures don't look any better than those on Death Stranding Directors Cut on the PS5 (nevermind PC maxed out)
  • 00:27 - Foliage density has nothing on Plague Requiem or HFW. It's passable. Also, loads of artifacts in the foliage, I didn't pixel count, but there's no way this is 4k, at least without VRS and/or Upscaling
  • 00:35 - Draw distance is great
  • 00:47 - Lighting looks great here
  • 01:01 - Gameplay moment. This looks good, but honestly, not amazing. Go check the WLF invasion of the Scars island in TLOU PT2, where illumination and effects kinda have the same aesthetic, and you'll see that this doesn't look impressive.
  • 01:08 - Those water effects look like ass
  • 01:11 - Lighting looks great here.
  • 01:12 - Fire looks fantastic, probably some of the best I've seen in a game.
  • Then there's more of the same.
Additional:
  • Alpha effects look ok.
  • The video is somehow low quality, and it doesn't seem like a Youtube compression issue. I watched this in 4k. It's like there's some smudging on top of everything.
  • There's some weird subsurface scattering going on in the character's face. It doesn't look fantastic compared to many other games.
  • Texture work varies between ok and very good, however what we've seen is mostly under dark conditions. I wonder if the game is mostly set on a "night" setting, or if it's just to hide weird textures.
  • Overall, I don't see this as the best looking game. It has moments of brilliance, and I'd argue it has the best fire effects in any game, but as a whole, no chance. There's plenty of games that do most of this better.
Another edit: Forgot to say that if this game is not open-world, it becomes even less impressive.

Sure Jan GIF

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yup. That's called looking through Sony-biased glasses.
The guy with no biases:

• fire
Reactions: arvfab

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
This site is not suppose to support misinformation.

Again…..Insomniac never said anything regarding HB2. They’re using a photorealistic technology and HB2 uses similar.

HB2 graphics is nothing strive for. TLOU2 looks better and that’s a PS4 game. It’s all pre scripted gameplay and we know the game won’t look like the trailers. As normal as it already looks.

• haha
Reactions: Frozone

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
This site is not suppose to support misinformation.

Again…..Insomniac never said anything regarding HB2. They’re using a photorealistic technology and HB2 uses similar.

HB2 graphics is nothing strive for. TLOU2 looks better and that’s a PS4 game. It’s all pre scripted gameplay and we know the game won’t look like the trailers. As normal as it already looks.
Right. So I respectfully disagree with this statement as it smells of Sony bias. HB2 -- which isn't even out yet -- looks worse than a PS4 game? Wow.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab and nongkris

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Please don't take me so literally.. sheesh!
Hard not to when almost everything i have read is.. i'm right you are wrong, Smells like Bias, This game that game.. its like opinions don't matter.
When people say a game looks good / great / ok / crap that's a personal opinion and for someone that just said:
Please don't take me so literally.. sheesh!
Strange that you do take everything literally

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Hard not to when almost everything i have read is.. i'm right you are wrong, Smells like Bias, This game that game.. its like opinions don't matter.
When people say a game looks good / great / ok / crap that's a personal opinion and for someone that just said:

It's really disturbing that my words have to be dissected as much as they do here simply because it's me. I'm just like anyone else here on these forums. There is waaayy too much attention being drawn whenever I comment. It's really weird. I shouldn't be forced to speak with 100% accuracy, no hyperbole, and must agree with the general consensus while others can do all of them without being condemned for doing it.

The Terms and Conditions haven't been broken so why make it seem like I'm breaking the terms of the site?

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not sure I agree. I think TLOU2 has a better art design, but HB2 looks better overall. That said, the game is not out, so we can't compare 1:1 just yet.
The Terms and Conditions haven't been broken so why make it seem like I'm breaking the terms of the site?
Are you sure? Like, 100% sure? Cross your heart sure?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The guy with no biases:

WTF i just saw? this is a parody? wow. it looked so bad. like PS3 game.
and that comment, bragging about how it looks good? man, you have to be obviously blind..

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
It's really disturbing that my words have to be dissected as much as they do here simply because it's me. I'm just like anyone else here on these forums. There is waaayy too much attention being drawn whenever I comment. It's really weird. I shouldn't be forced to speak with 100% accuracy, no hyperbole, and must agree with the general consensus while others can do all of them without being condemned for doing it.
Now then that's a strange thing to say as not once did i say you Have to be 100% accurate and agree with everyone

Do point out when and where i said that, Also

Careful now don't poke as we do see and can act accordingly

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Not sure I agree. I think TLOU2 has a better art design, but HB2 looks better overall. That said, the game is not out, so we can't compare 1:1 just yet.

It doesn’t impress me. It’s doing what it’s doing in a closed on rails environment. TLOU2 is a more open ended environment and gameplay and is able to look that good. The PS5 version is going to look even better.

I don’t know what we need to wait for? We know the outcome of MS first party games from trailers, which are all running on high end PC, to actual release.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It doesn’t impress me. It’s doing what it’s doing in a closed on rails environment. TLOU2 is a more open ended environment and gameplay and is able to look that good. The PS5 version is going to look even better.

I don’t know what we need to wait for? We know the outcome of MS first party games from trailers, which are all running on high end PC, to actual release.
I've been repeating this over and over. Just like tech demos thy are impressive for what they are add more openness and other graphical pieces and they don't end up looking anywhere as good.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
The game will feature more than 2 characters I assure you. I'm just glad insomniac seems to want to push graphics again after being upstaged by MS studios of all people

What MS studios have upstaged them? Hellblade 2 isn't even out yet, we have no idea how stable the game will run or if it'll even have performance options on console beyond 30 FPS.

There's more to graphics than just technical prowess. Hellblade 2 has a very different artstyle than Insomniac's games so they aren't even directly comparable. Same with a game like Hellblade 2 to HFW, which I'd argue still looks more visually impressive in some key areas especially considering its scale vs. what Hellblade 2 has shown so far. It's like people want to pretend HFW or Burning Shores never released for some odd reason.

Look I've also said Hellblade 2 looks quite good multiple times, and the latest gameplay finally showed something other than walking and scripted spear-chucking. But I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds beyond Rift Apart or Spiderman 2 visually; better in some areas yes, but on par in others and until we see the fidelity/framerate options, potentially worst than those games in yet others. And artstyle isn't objectively comparable across any of these games.

That said, should Wolverine maybe be aiming for a visual grit similar to a Hellblade 2? Yeah, I think so. But that's more about visual atmosphere and direction if anything...even then Wolverine would need to maybe have more saturation to its color palette. It's based on a comic book property after all.

Reactions: arvfab and Hezekiah