Mat Piscatella - I get fans ❤️ consoles but US video game hardware market is mature market at this point. Have to get beyond the boxes to find growth.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Get fucked you slimy cunt-in-suit.

"Find growth" - get fucked, make good games
"Beyond the box" - get fucked, I won't be part of the all streaming future.

All these moves in the industry lately are a desperate attempt to reduce cost and increase profit by boardroom bean counters who at best, don't have a clue about the industry, and at worst, actively despise it.

I hope the market crashes, the workers form successful studios and the suits end up destitute.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Get fucked you slimy cunt-in-suit.

"Find growth" - get fucked, make good games
"Beyond the box" - get fucked, I won't be part of the all streaming future.

All these moves in the industry lately are a desperate attempt to reduce cost and increase profit by boardroom bean counters who at best, don't have a clue about the industry, and at worst, actively despise it.

I hope the market crashes, the workers form successful studios and the suits end up destitute.
Beyond the box sounds like going from consoles to mobile to me, I think you misinterpreted him. Of course, thats even worse than what you thought so ehh.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Your typical nobody that goes with the flow of business lingo. Says something that is akin to water is wet, then as a suggestion defaults into whatever narrative is pro money that is vague as hell. Literally says nothing of substance.

These types are a bore.

Also water is wet - the growth is in Asian markets (including Russia), and PlayStations footprint there is abysmal, aside Japan.

That's like saying diversification into any other type of business is the logical step to make more money, which is the ultimate goal of any business. How about growing fruit? Literal clowns.

Reactions: laynelane

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Stagnant growth is not "fine". Playstation has been selling ~100M consoles every generation. There's no reason to believe it's possible to sell 300M of any console.
If you cut out PS2 then they are going up every gen, even if not by huge margins. If Xbox exits or fails to properly launch then PS6 would be in a very good position to increase over 4 and 5. As to Nintendo, Switch is the second best selling home console (or best selling handheld, take your pick), telling them to shift away from the market is pure lunacy.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Stagnant growth is not "fine". Playstation has been selling ~100M consoles every generation. There's no reason to believe it's possible to sell 300M of any console.
These companies don't need to sell 300 million consoles. But they're more than capable of selling well over 100 million, apart from one of them.

This is all that "infinite growth" bs these companies constantly keep spewing about. It's not happening.

But that won't stop them from trying. PC releases are already happening and I expect a heavy push into mobile. Cloud? Maybe but I don't see that taking off as fast as they want.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
These companies don't need to sell 300 million consoles. But they're more than capable of selling well over 100 million, apart from one of them.

This is all that "infinite growth" bs these companies constantly keep spewing about. It's not happening.

But that won't stop them from trying. PC releases are already happening and I expect a heavy push into mobile. Cloud? Maybe but I don't see that taking off as fast as they want.
They want those huge overheads and profit, fuck them!

Reactions: Kokoloko

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If you cut out PS2 then they are going up every gen, even if not by huge margins. If Xbox exits or fails to properly launch then PS6 would be in a very good position to increase over 4 and 5. As to Nintendo, Switch is the second best selling home console (or best selling handheld, take your pick), telling them to shift away from the market is pure lunacy.

Why should we cut out PS2? Why does it deserve a special exception other than being extremely successful?

I don't agree that Xbox exiting the market will radically help Playstation (and also they're not exiting the market). There's only 10M Series X in the market. If Playstation 6 sold 150M it would both be the most successful Playstation, and still represent a low rate of growth since 2001.

The cost and scope of software is growing much faster than the growth of total console ownership. That doesn't mean Sony and Nintendo stop making consoles, but it does mean publishers need to look beyond consoles for growth.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why should we cut out PS2? Why does it deserve a special exception other than being extremely successful?

I don't agree that Xbox exiting the market will radically help Playstation (and also they're not exiting the market). There's only 10M Series X in the market. If Playstation 6 sold 150M it would both be the most successful Playstation, and still represent a low rate of growth since 2001.

The cost and scope of software is growing much faster than the growth of total console ownership. That doesn't mean Sony and Nintendo stop making consoles, but it does mean publishers need to look beyond consoles for growth.
You cut out PS2 because a lot of its userbase migrated to 360 and some even went to Wii. Or, alternatively, you cut it out because its literally over 20 years old now and thus no longer relevant to consumer trends except as a nostalgia-based marketting gimmick.

As to the Xbox stuff, it clearly would help Sony. I notice you hiding S away to minimize its performance (and don't account for whatever they sell in Series later half) but the truth is that Series should move over 50 million units by cycle end and, if MS ports all successful games, its successor won't do half of that.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xbox is dying not consoles, stop.

Of the 40m Xbox consoles sold each gen Sony can probably capture about 20m at least.

That would put both Nintendo and PlayStation at 140m+ per gen going forward.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Beyond the box sounds like going from consoles to mobile to me, I think you misinterpreted him. Of course, thats even worse than what you thought so ehh.
Streaming is coming to mobile. Xcloud was trialed on phones first.

24 Jun 2022
2 out of 3 companies seem to be doing fine.

This. I don't really understand the obsession that console platform holders cannot innovate what they bring to their own platforms, and in turn grow their base. Consoles are devices like any other, they're just specialized for specific types of gaming experiences. If gaming is the biggest entertainment form in the world, then there's no real reason other than lack of innovation why consoles can't grow their share of the pie.

However, for PlayStation in particular, it means finally realizing that Xbox isn't their only competitor. In fact, thinking the scope of consoles is just Xbox vs PlayStation hurts the latter IMO because it stifles what innovation they could be doing to be more competitive with platforms like Nintendo and Steam. There are two braindead improvements Sony could do in a matter of a couple months or so: transparent player metrics/CCUs and integrated forum communities.

Just those two things would add a lot of value for hardcore & core enthusiasts, and potentially be appealing to some mainstream and casual players, and would also make PlayStation more competitive with platforms like Steam. It could even force Xbox and Nintendo to better compete and follow suit. There are many more examples than just that, and ironically some of the things I was suggesting Microsoft could do for future Xbox devices (not sold on the traditional console business model) are things that could make Xbox or any platform willing to implement them more competitive with non-console gaming devices and ecosystems.

I do think growth on non-console platforms is possible WITHOUT cannibalizing the appeal of your consoles, but it has to be a multi-layered and nuanced approach that, preferably, always leads back to something new and special for the console itself, so show (not tell) that the console is always the priority even within that expanded ecosystem. Microsoft have utterly failed at doing that which is why Xbox Series has been in such dire sales decline; Sony and Nintendo never need to follow that same mistake.

• brain
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Streaming is coming to mobile. Xcloud was trialed on phones first.
Many of these things have been done in years past and then didn't take off. Psnow was on tvs before anyone even thought of doing it. Mobile will come, etc.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's really not hard. A console is a huge success if it sells 20% more than the last one. Meanwhile the cost of producing AAA games practically doubles every generation. Xbox is uniquely shit, rejected by the market, and in a death spiral, but that doesn't mean Nintendo and Sony are immune from major trends.

There is no reason to believe a 300M selling console is on the horizon. Without that kind of growth, publishers are stuck looking at very unrealistic attach rates to make a profit on their games. At the start of the PS3 era, we celebrated a game with 1M sales. Now less than 10M is nothing to brag about.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They could but that would also means cutting back on pushing tech and being more scalable in prices, ignoring hard resets gens and going for incremental upgrades.