Mat Piscatella - I get fans ❤️ consoles but US video game hardware market is mature market at this point. Have to get beyond the boxes to find growth.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What is it with all the journalists coming out with "consoles are dead" since Xbox announced they've going 3rd-party? Sounds like manufactured damage-control sponsored by Phil so he can show to Nadella it's not his fault.

Sony sold 20+ millions last year and the same this year. They are fine.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Consoles won't go away. Consoles have always been the entry level hardware and the alternative to expensive PCs for the mass general consumers. I just think there isn't going to be this huge avalanche of the moms and dads going out there and forking over $1500 plus for a PC for their kids. That's why we have consoles.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
No argument here. Even though they have been third party since 2014 or whatever year it was when they acquired Mojang.
Not the same though, that was the odd exception like Minecraft which was multiplatform pre-acquisition. Now everything major is going to be ported.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No argument here. Even though they have been third party since 2014 or whatever year it was when they acquired Mojang.
Not even close to the same thing.

Also the existence of a box that costs a couple hundred bucks is not what is "limiting" the console market.

Not everyone likes the hobby. There is a natural limit to the market. Making a sub par streaming "experience" is not going to expand the market.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They could but that would also means cutting back on pushing tech and being more scalable in prices, ignoring hard resets gens and going for incremental upgrades.

"pushing tech" as Playstation does still involves some kind of financial balancing. it's not like PS5 is close to the most powerful console they could have made. What they achieved with the $399 discless model (not that I would buy it) is pretty incredible. It goes a long way to discrediting the also discless, and much less powerful Series S.

I agree there needs to be incremental updates, and a big reduction in forced obsolescence. If you want to play Baldurs Gate 3 on a PS4 and suffer nasty framerate dips or ugly low resolution, you should be able to as much as the hardware allows.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
What is it with all the journalists coming out with "consoles are dead" since Xbox announced they've going 3rd-party? Sounds like manufactured damage-control sponsored by Phil so he can show to Nadella it's not his fault.

Sony sold 20+ millions last year and the same this year. They are fine.
Wait till they find out how how much Sony will grow in the console market when Xbox is done.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
It's a bit redundant to attack Mat here. He's telling you what the market data shows, and we know how the executives and shareholders will respond. People are here in threads attacking the Totoki for his statements addressing this challenge and then attacking Mat for saying it's a challenge for the market. Sony could build an alternative solution but that takes a strong vision and arguably this is what Sony lacks most at the moment.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony and Nintendo (less so) will grow with Xbox's demise. No new competitors will enter the market, but grunty portables may eat into Nintendo's market share. The way I would approach growth, which is necessary only if costs keep ballooning, is to add features valued by consumers on other platforms.
  • Mod support and Steam-like community features integrated into the platform to lure over users from PC.
  • Doubling down on exclusive content, with a particular focus on excluding the PC platform.
  • Returning to free online, particularly as MTX is now a large part of a game's monetisation, and F2P games are the most played on the console anyway (Fortnite, Warzone).
  • A commitment to backwards compatibility, and the extension of licenses across all platform access points within the ecosystem.
Leave very few reasons to invest in Steam and own a PC for gaming purposes. There are always more consumers willing to have a pre-built, affordable, and powerful platform than there are desperate for the highest specced/most powerful platform.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Not the same though, that was the odd exception like Minecraft which was multiplatform pre-acquisition. Now everything major is going to be ported.

Microsoft porting everything is part of a long term strategy to grow beyond the console that they offer. Same as in that they became a third party publisher once they acquired Mojang. Even if Minecraft wasn't on PlayStation to begin with, it would have been in time.

Not even close to the same thing.

Also the existence of a box that costs a couple hundred bucks is not what is "limiting" the console market.

Not everyone likes the hobby. There is a natural limit to the market. Making a sub par streaming "experience" is not going to expand the market.

Console market is limited because like you said, not everyone likes the hobby but if you expand beyond the box, you're going to get other people into your platform and eco-system.

Sony was publishing Minecraft at the time. It's not like they could take it away even if they wanted to 🙄

True but that was the PlayStation 3 version. Sony obviously hasn't published Minecraft since then.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Leave very few reasons to invest in Steam and own a PC for gaming purposes. There are always more consumers willing to have a pre-built, affordable, and powerful platform than there are desperate for the highest specced/most powerful platform.

I would wait to make sure Helldivers 2 isnt 4x more players on Steam before you apply to be Playstation CEO.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Microsoft porting everything is part of a long term strategy to grow beyond the console that they offer. Same as in that they became a third party publisher once they acquired Mojang. Even if Minecraft wasn't on PlayStation to begin with, it would have been in time.
I'm fairly certain it's a new strategy. They absolutely wanted to buy Sony out of the console market, partly by removing CoD - but regulators forced them to port to Playstation and Switch.

Booty's email said it all. But they badly overestimated their own abilities.

Any idea this was always their strategy is revisionism at its finest.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Growth growth growth I miss the days when Devs would make a good game because they were passionate about it now it's just corporate twats that are never happy no matter how much money they make
This is not about you, it's a general comment.

People: capitalism is awesome
Capitalism does capitalism things
People: why is everything turning to shit?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
"pushing tech" as Playstation does still involves some kind of financial balancing. it's not like PS5 is close to the most powerful console they could have made. What they achieved with the $399 discless model (not that I would buy it) is pretty incredible. It goes a long way to discrediting the also discless, and much less powerful Series S.

I agree there needs to be incremental updates, and a big reduction in forced obsolescence. If you want to play Baldurs Gate 3 on a PS4 and suffer nasty framerate dips or ugly low resolution, you should be able to as much as the hardware allows.
I am more saying we have reached a sweet spot when it comes to graphics so there's really no need for them to rush out and do a hard reset when it comes to consoles. Incremental updates would work better, just keep them within the same numbered famiily.

Reactions: flaccidsnake