Mat Piscatella: Industry spend CAGR has been basically flat since the pandemic, no significant upside room for player/hours growth, costs keep rising

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
And market isn't going to expand magically as ppl are strapped for cash just like PS didn't meet its estimates.

Put things in perspective..

Tons of layoffs and closures
Industry not expanding
Sony not meeting sales projections

Etc..

All go hand in hand.

Pc is growing though but there's reasons for that.

Reactions: Luffy123

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
And market isn't going to expand magically as ppl are strapped for cash just like PS didn't meet its estimates.

Put things in perspective..

Tons of layoffs and closures
Industry not expanding
Sony not meeting sales projections

Etc..

All go hand in hand.

Pc is growing though but there's reasons for that.

Yeh PC is growing but it is actually growing the industry itself is the main thing. I don’t know tbh

Think something will happen similar to the film industry in 2020-2022 soon, then the market will rebound

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeh PC is growing but it is actually growing the industry itself is the main thing. I don’t know tbh

Think something will happen similar to the film industry in 2020-2022 soon, then the market will rebound
Think 2025 will be big rebound year towards the second half.

Reactions: Luffy123

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Way too many low quality games flooding the market. People have limited time, some of the high quality games are also huge time sinks. 2025 is only going to be worse as GTA6 will drown out every other release.

Helldivers 2 demonstrate how much money they are losing by exposing their games to piracy on PC or does anyone actually believe Spider-man and God of War are smaller releases on PC compared to Helldivers? Turns out the people spending tons of money on GPUs were saving money when it came to buying games.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How this works:
  • Companies: Increase prices even when it's not justified
  • Consumers: You're increasing prices too much
  • Companies: Despite profits, lay-off a bunch of people
  • Consumers and former employees: With price increases, we can't spend more
  • Companies: Surprised Pikachu face.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
How this works:
  • Companies: Increase prices even when it's not justified
  • Consumers: You're increasing prices too much
  • Companies: Despite profits, lay-off a bunch of people
  • Consumers and former employees: With price increases, we can't spend more
  • Companies: Surprised Pikachu face.
It's crazy...

Games going to $70
Ps plus drastically increased
DLC and mtx all over the place

And we still overall get less! Same in every other industry. Fucking juice companies raised prices but made juice containers smaller 😂 they took away like 10 ozs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
- There's just too many games and ways to play.
- your phone is an absolute beast of a gaming device. Add a controller and some ROMs/ISOs and you are set with a collection of games to last you a lifetime.

-Also AAA games from the 9th generation have been disapointing bar some exceptions. And they take longer than ever to get to market.
- AAA games take a long time to be beaten, specially AAA RPGs
- lots of F2P games that are huge time sinks.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And we still overall get less! Same in every other industry. Fucking juice companies raised prices but made juice containers smaller 😂 they took away like 10 ozs
Shrinkflation + inflation was amazing. I'm spending about double what I spent in food, and I started buying cheaper food. Energy... It has decreased in price, however I'm still paying over double (almost triple) of what I paid before "the Ukraine war", even though prices came crashing down on the "free market" (for energy companies, that is).

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Shrinkflation + inflation was amazing. I'm spending about double what I spent in food, and I started buying cheaper food. Energy... It has decreased in price, however I'm still paying over double (almost triple) of what I paid before "the Ukraine war", even though prices came crashing down on the "free market" (for energy companies, that is).
I hear you man..

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's crazy...

Games going to $70
Ps plus drastically increased
DLC and mtx all over the place

And in terms of production value there still isn't something that is clearly multiple steps above what RDR2 and TLoU Part 2 achieved many years ago.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
And in terms of production value there still isn't something that is clearly multiple steps above what RDR2 and TLoU Part 2 achieved many years ago.
Those games visually are insane for what they are doing too. Especially RDR being open world.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Helldivers 2 demonstrate how much money they are losing by exposing their games to piracy on PC or does anyone actually believe Spider-man and God of War are smaller releases on PC compared to Helldivers? Turns out the people spending tons of money on GPUs were saving money when it came to buying games.
I believe those games would have been bigger if they released day and date.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I believe those games would have been bigger if they released day and date.
Bigger piracy for sure. Why does it matter if the game is old or not on PC if it was never playable there before?

If it's old it mean they went and bought a PS5 to play it? Games like TLoU, Spider-man and God of War, look better than 99.99% of PC games.

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Bigger piracy for sure. Why does it matter if the game is old or not on PC if it was never playable there before?

If it's old it mean they went and bought a PS5 to play it? Games like TLoU, Spider-man and God of War, look better than 99.99% of PC games.
You don't think releasing a couple years old games on PC for full price or near it affected their reach? Not to mention a game's marketing is strongest at release.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PC gaming is living rent free in some folks heads. The salt could season a yearly supply of McDonald's fries.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
As I said. Rent free. The thread subject had nothing to do with pc. Folks in the gaming industry expecting pandemic like levels of spend are losing their minds.