Mat Piscatella: Industry spend CAGR has been basically flat since the pandemic, no significant upside room for player/hours growth, costs keep rising

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Companies thinking growth can be unlimited have always made me giggle.
Exactly. We all want upward spirals but you'll reach a zenith sooner or later or better do some heavy spending and advertising and subsidizing in other markets and countries like India.

Reactions: Entropi

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Musk showed with Twitter that there is massive bloat in tech companies, you can cut almost all PR, loads of marketing and the majority of analyst jobs and run the company just as well or better.
Exactly, which is why twitter's evaluation is shit compared to pre purchase, and why it's a money sinkhole

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You don't think releasing a couple years old games on PC for full price or near it affected their reach? Not to mention a game's marketing is strongest at release.
Will GTA6 flop on PC then?

I'm not a fool these single player Sony games are being massively pirated on PC. Including people that are willing to spend a lot in hardware.

Sony is stupid to even consider releasing their single player games on PC after God of War and Spider-man sold so little. Give PC players what they deserve, day one GaaS and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I'm not a fool these single player Sony games are being massively pirated on PC. Including people that are willing to spend a lot in hardware.

Sony is stupid to even consider releasing their single games on PC after God of War and Spider-man sold so little. Give PC players what they deserve, day one GaaS and nothing else.
This is my stance 100000% GaaS is great especially to keep online alive in perpetuity but the PC sakes do not justify the need to release the others on PC.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
theres only so much that this industry can grow tbh
Thank you I don't see how so called business experts can't see that.There is a limit to gaming. It's not a necessity business. It's entertainment. And It's just not a major priority to people in life. And at a steep price. $70 a pop can go to food and electricity. This is a luxury market at this point.Do they even understand that??

Pandemic numbers were always false. These idiot bean counters believe that those were true numbers need to be fired. They did not do their job and account for dip. That is negligence and deserves sacking instead of people being layed off.

There is growth in the industry. It's called beating the competition and taking their customers. Its embarrassing how this industry thinks they don't have to compete against each other.

Coca Cola ,Pepsi and Nestle would of cooked this industry.

When will they understand you are fighting amongst yourselfs for the pot. The more platforms you want to expand is who's taking your growth .All the numbers are the same. You only have whats in the pot.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How does "getting to GTA VI" help anyone but Take 2 and maybe Sony/MSFT? What they actually have to get to is China and thats not happening any time soon.

Nix

14 Feb 2024

Sony is stupid to even consider releasing their single player games on PC after God of War and Spider-man sold so little. Give PC players what they deserve, day one GaaS and nothing else.
I don't think GTA is a good comparison since the last game sold like 150 million, I think people are overestimating the pirating situation, sure it's a thing but unless there is proof that it's affecting sales majorly I don't think it's much to think about, baldur's Gate 3 is a recent single player release and did fantastic on PC despite it getting cracked fast.

Also, haven't Sony actually said the return of investment of their PC ports are good? I don't they they cost much to port.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't think GTA is a good comparison since the last game sold like 150 million, I think people are overestimating the pirating situation, sure it's a thing but unless there is proof that it's affecting sales majorly I don't think it's much to think about, baldur's Gate 3 is a recent single player release and did fantastic on PC despite it getting cracked fast.

Also, haven't Sony actually said the return of investment of their PC ports are good? I don't they they cost much to port.
Using Larian or CD Project Red doesn't make sense as their relationship with PC users if very diferent from your regular dev. BG3 also has a multiplayer component.

We've seen the leaked numbers of Sony sales on PC and they are pathetic.

How is it acceptable that one games sells 20m+ on PlayStation and then sells 2m on PC? But then they release a GaaS and it's 50/50 (if not more sales on PC).

Something is wrong.

Nix

14 Feb 2024

How is it acceptable that one games sells 20m+ on PlayStation and then sells 2m on PC? But then they release a GaaS and it's 50/50 (if not more sales on PC).

Something is wrong.
Well, the whole point is they weren't day and date, I doubt Sony will release their SP games on PC day and date anytime soon but we'll see, Helldivers 2 is currently the best example we have of a Sony game releasing day and date.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Using Larian or CD Project Red doesn't make sense as their relationship with PC users if very diferent from your regular dev. BG3 also has a multiplayer component.

Something is wrong.
I think it comes down to respect as well. Larian make good games so it makes sense to respect and support them.

Ubislop on the other hand have their games pirated because most of the time theyre not even worth playing, let alone paying for.

Gta6 is coming to consoles first for no other reason than double-dipping. I wouldn't be surprised if six months after the PC launch, there's an Enhanced edition console launch, which then launches on PC six months after that...

Reactions: Entropi

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think it comes down to respect as well. Larian make good games so it makes sense to respect and support them.

Ubislop on the other hand have their games pirated because most of the time theyre not even worth playing, let alone paying for.

Gta6 is coming to consoles first for no other reason than double-dipping. I wouldn't be surprised if six months after the PC launch, there's an Enhanced edition console launch, which then launches on PC six months after that...
So Sony/PlayStation and their games deserves no respect and should be pirated till they stop making them or instead, turns them all into GaaS to do better on PC?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
So Sony/PlayStation and their games deserves no respect and should be pirated till they stop making them or instead, turns them all into GaaS to do better on PC?
Vote with your wallet.

Pirate games until the industry sorts it's shit out or crashes, goes bankrupt and rebuilds on skill, care and talent, not useless money-grabbing gambling-lite tactics, broken games and general scumbaggery.

There's a direct correlation between reduced pirating and reduced quality of games.