Matt Booty on Xbox Multiplatform Strategy: “ Xbox players can absolutely continue to expect many games to launch as exclusives”

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Via Variety:

Sea of Thieves Success/Xbox Exclusivity
"We have been really pleased," Booty says, noting that when Sea of Thieves launched across PlayStation 5, the teams saw uptick in Xbox and PC player engagement as well, while also sharing that a large number of PlayStation players were enjoying the game in cross-play. This success grows the franchise overall, per Booty, allowing the teams at Rare and Xbox to continue to invest in the game.

When asked about what this means for future Xbox exclusives, Booty reiterates that the teams are evaluating games hitting other consoles on a "case-by-case basis," adding that Xbox players can absolutely continue to expect many games to launch as exclusives, and that the "Xbox promise" that all Xbox first-party games come to Xbox Game Pass will continue to be true.

Full statement:

Interviewer: "I'd love to know if you could speak about what the results of bringing the first four games to PlayStation and Switch are and what titles you may be thinking of doing that with next.

Matt Booty: "We really set up those four games and if you look at the four games we picked, it might seem as a bit of a grab bag or odd assortment, but it really was set up and designed so we could test a variety of content and see especially what the reception would be and for that content. And, also, in some cases we have got teams, like the Minecraft team or the CoD team that have been shipping multiplatform for literally decades and then we've got teams where that's a new muscle to build.

So we had some business experiments we wanted to run and we also just mechanically wanted to start to build that muscle and see what was involved. So some of the smaller games like Grounded, like Pentiment, like Hi Fi Rush, I would say it was great to see some of the positive review scores and great to see some of the positive fan reception. But the one that we really focused with support and went out and promoted was Sea of Thieves.

We have been really pleased with what we've seen on SoT. Just in terms of some things that I can share that were encouraging to us is that when we launched SoT on PS5, we saw an uptick in engagement on Xbox and on PC. So again, there is this thing where there are more people coming into the franchise which causes more excitement which actually grows the franchise overall, which if you want to be sort of direct about it from a business POV allows us to reinvest in that franchise and continue to grow it. So, that was sort of one of the first things we wanted to see.

Another really interesting, encouraging stat is that about half of the people playing on PlayStation were playing with people on other platforms so this is about expanding that community. It's one of the things that's core to our Xbox promise of letting people play where they wanna play with the people they wanna play with on the devices they play with and it's encouraging that we didn't see a vertically insulated community there. That the work the team put into being best in class in cross platform play really paid off because we saw people engaging off their device ecosystem which was great.

The other thing was, it brought new players into SoT. One of the goals all of our franchises have, and we have across the industry, is how do we grow? That was really great to see it brought in new players that had never played SoT before.

So, I think we consider that a success. We will continue to make those decisions individually on a case-by-case basis. We are absolutely committed to having launch exclusives on Xbox. It is part of our core promise. And we want to continue to bring our games to more players on more devices going forward. And we certainly have got experience on that with things that have historically been multiplatform for so long."

Interviewer (paraphrasing): We are seeing bundling in streaming like cable. Do you think with your relationship with Sony and Nintendo we will start to see walls come down?

Matt Booty: "Obviously I can't speak on behalf of Sony or Nintendo, but I'll say, in each case we have great working relationships with Sony and Nintendo. Again, our portfolio consists of games that have shipped on those platforms for 10, 15 years and that doesn't happen without a great partnership with them and so we have a great working relationship.

I think, as you point out, as gaming becomes a bigger part of pop culture, as the number of gamers on the planet hits 2 billion, 3 billion and continues to grow, that it's inevitable that we see content seeks to be everywhere and that we're gonna see some blending across the boundaries and differences that maybe have existed historically. For us, it comes down to maintaining that player first focus. We wanna be where the players are. Our device, the Xbox, will always be core to what we do. The console is foundational to what we do. But going back to 2016 when we started day and date on PC, when we started branching out to cloud streaming, take your games anywhere, focusing we get things right like Cloud Saves. (Tangent about friction across saves and ecosystems)

I think we will see more of that going forward. What the future holds for those trends I don't have that crystal ball. I do know we are going to follow our fans, follow where they wanna be, and as gaming grows alongside traditional forms like Music and TV, you will see some things happen in gaming that have happened over the last 10 years of linear media."

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yea Right GIF

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Launch exclusively, sure, but will they remain exclusively is the main question.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think the keyword here being “launch” says it all…
Yeap...

And that is a dumb take... launch exclusivity means that you are trying to get all the revenue at launch window.
But with Gamepass it doesn't even matter at all.
Probably you will get more launching day one in others platforms.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeap...

And that is a dumb take... launch exclusivity means that you are trying to get all the revenue at launch window.
But with Gamepass it doesn't even matter at all.
Probably you will get more launching day one in others platforms.

It will probably change when they can say “launch on gamepass” but can be bought everywhere

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Why do they insist on continuing to open their mouth and then it backfire on them? Lol. Nevertheless, best part is they continue to play their base like a fiddle.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
When it comes to Xbox the media will pretend they didn't notice the implication of "Launch exclusives"...

Their next wave of games are likely the only one that are going to be launch exclusive instead of full multiplataform releases day one. Some of these projects were started before they realized they would have to release all their games on PlayStation, after 2025 I expect day one on PlayStation for pretty much all of their releases.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They are going to do timed exclusives until next gen. Once the new consoles are out, day 1 for everyone, they've made this clear.

24 Jun 2022
They are basically trying to find a new source of revenue to cover Gamepass loses.

That is called PlayStation.

Then it's an easy skip for me. I won't be a paypig to subsidize other people getting the same games for "free".

But otherwise like what @voke and others are suggesting, it'll just be timed 1-year exclusives of most XGS games for Xbox consoles until whenever they launch their next generation hardware, which I'm guessing is late 2026. At that point or a bit later, they'll be Day 1 on PS and Nintendo for basically everything including the XGS games (the Zenimax & ABK games already seem to be Day 1 in all cases as-is).

Reactions: arvfab and ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Their PR is very talented: " to launch as exclusives" sounds way better for their fans than to say "timed console exclusive".

I assume their idea is:
  • All Mojang games day one on PS
  • All ABK games day one on PS
  • All Zenimax sequels day one on PS5
  • At least some Zenimax new IPs would get 1 year temporal console exclusivity on Xbox
  • The non-Mojang XGS games would get 1 year temporal console exclusivity on Xbox
  • Slowly port all their older titles of this and the previous generation to PS, and if they fit (most won't), on Switch/Switch 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow2027