Matt Booty on Xbox Multiplatform Strategy: “ Xbox players can absolutely continue to expect many games to launch as exclusives”

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Their PR is very talented: " to launch as exclusives" sounds way better for their fans than to say "timed console exclusive".

I assume their idea is:
  • All Mojang games day one on PS
  • All ABK games day one on PS
  • All Zenimax sequels day one on PS5
  • At least some Zenimax new IPs would get 1 year temporal console exclusivity on Xbox
  • The non-Mojang XGS games would get 1 year temporal console exclusivity on Xbox
  • Slowly port all their older titles of this and the previous generation to PS, and if they fit (most won't), on Switch/Switch 2
Best to think of Bethesda games as a case by case basis. I believe Sony already made a deal for the new Doom game pre Microsoft purchase just like the other Doom games that released this gen. I also believe internally Zenimax is pressuring Microsoft to put all Zenimax releases on PlayStation, but not all of those will be day 1.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Best to think of Bethesda games as a case by case basis. I believe Sony already made a deal for the new Doom game pre Microsoft purchase just like the other Doom games that released this gen. I also believe internally Zenimax is pressuring Microsoft to put all Zenimax releases on PlayStation, but not all of those will be day 1.
Sony didn't make a deal. They don't need to make deals to get someone to skip Xbox or to get games for their platform, and that includes from Xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
When MS bought Zenimax the Xbox CFO (the chief of finances of their gaming division) said that their plans for Bethesda wasn't to remove them from PS or Nintendo, but instead "first or better or best" on Xbox.

Meaning, their plans for Bethesda games are baing multiplatform since day one or with some timed console exclusive.

Bethesda's deal with Sony was a timed console exclusive for Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, both already expired. After the acquisition MS kept releasing Bethesda's games and DLC (outside Starfield and Redfall) day one on PS because they wanted.

Regarding ABK, once the deal of the previous CoD titles expired, having AB stuff like future CoD day one on PS maybe has more to do with the negotiation with Jim Ryan to give their ok for the acquisition.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllBizness

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
When MS bought Zenimax the Xbox CFO (the chief of finances of their gaming division) said that their plans for Bethesda wasn't to remove them from PS or Nintendo, but instead "first or better or best" on Xbox.

Meaning, their plans for Bethesda games are baing multiplatform since day one or with some timed console exclusive.
Before the deal went through that was the Xbox position. Then the deal closed and it was LOL. The very first day they went to the offices demanding the PS5 version cease.

This pivot is because the Xbox Series sales have cratered. This is to hide the gaps until next gen as MS shareholders may look to cut the fat.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Before the deal went through that was the Xbox position. Then the deal closed and it was LOL. The very first day they went to the offices demanding the PS5 version cease.
After the acquisition Bethesda kept releasing Fallout 76 DLC, Elder Scroll Online DLC, Quake Remaster, Quake 2 Remaster, Doom Dark Ages day one on PS. Hifi Rush has been a timed exclusive.

We have to see if Starfield, Redfall and Indiana Jones are timed exclusives. And I'd say it's pretty clear that around year or so after their release will be announced/released for PS5, with Redfall maybe the exception because due to too low quality and sales they may think doesn't have enough potential to achieve a decent amount of sales.

They may also want to try to further improve Redfall before the PS5 release trying to use the port as a relaunch of the game.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023

The CFO (Tim Stuart) did say that, but there's a leaked email from the FTC trial showing that Spencer wanted to take it all exclusive.

The original CFO statement happened on or around 13th Nov 2020

Then it was revealed that Spencer decided to take it all exclusive (meeting happened Nov 2021, Emails were leaked in June 2023)

Anybody who says making things like Doom multiplatform was the plan all along is either lying or misinformed.

Last edited:

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Launch exclusively, sure, but will they remain exclusively is the main question.
Given their sneaky corporate-speak wording, the only exclusives they'll retain (permanently) will be games that are critical disasters and or financially unsuccessful. For example, if South of Midnight is another Redfall, then it will be a "case" where porting it to other platforms doesn't make any sense. Why lose millions and be critically panned on both Xbox and PlayStation?

Games that have tight licensing agreements would also fall under their "case-by-case" initiative. Blade and Indiana Jones are interesting in that regard. If Disney is taking 50% of everything and PlayStation is taking about 30%, would the leftover numbers make sense for Xbox? I don't think the numbers work unless Xbox can get the ports done cheap -- which would mean a small, unknown studio somewhere in Bucharest or Valkenswaard gets the contract. Are Disney going to be cool with a no-name non-Microsoft owned studio handling their properties on the (potentially) largest sales platform for their properties? I bet their 'cool' will come with a bunch of clauses and fine print that would make the PlayStation ports much less lucrative for Xbox.

Ultimately, if Xbox can't survive without PlayStation's user base then nothing's off the table. Starfield, Forza Horizon, Flight Sim, and even Killer Instinct make a lot of critical and commercial sense on PlayStation. It still feels surreal to say it but Halo on PlayStation is not a matter of if but when. Unbelievable.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I'm surprised Satya is still entertaining this (timed) exclusive nonsense from Xbox. Maybe Phil and Booty have managed to convince him that COD on Xbox will be a coup for their GamePass numbers :LOL:

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The CFO (Tim Stuart) did say that, but there's a leaked email from the FTC trial showing that Spencer wanted to take it all exclusive.

The original CFO statement happened on or around 13th Nov 2020

Then it was revealed that Spencer decided to take it all exclusive (meeting happened Nov 2021, Emails were leaked in June 2023)

Anybody who says making things like Doom multiplatform was the plan all along is either lying or misinformed.
Oh, I see. I didn't remember/knew that Spencer said that in an internal meeting.

Reactions: Impulse

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm surprised Satya is still entertaining this (timed) exclusive nonsense from Xbox. Maybe Phil and Booty have managed to convince him that COD on Xbox will be a coup for their GamePass numbers :LOL:
Crazy that after years of Phil's promises turning out to be lies that Nadella still hasn't fired him. He must have some crazy blackmail material on Satya.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
It was very clear that Zenimax studios especially Bethesda with Pete Hines with some of those emails and departures. I’d imagine losing majority of the players and fans will do that. I’d also imagine their bonuses being cut due to lack of sales will hurt morale as well

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Crazy that after years of Phil's promises turning out to be lies that Nadella still hasn't fired him. He must have some crazy blackmail material on Satya.
Phil will either leave or will be replaced when Microsoft Gaming is fully established for full 3rd party and openly acknowledging the hardware being a niche piece of the business at most. Let the captain go down with the ship then put a new face behind the wheel

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Can't wait for next year's showcase when they bring back the booming voice before every game "LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE"

• haha

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I can see MS in 2025/2026 buy another publisher especially in Asia. There pushing 3rd party likely day n date on PS & Nintendo soon which will allow them to buy future publisher since that was the only concern by competitors & regulators

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I can see MS in 2025/2026 buy another publisher especially in Asia. There pushing 3rd party likely day n date on PS & Nintendo soon which will allow them to buy future publisher since that was the only concern by competitors & regulators
After what happened to tango softworks etc nobody wants to get bought by xbox

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
The Xbox brand really lost any sense of identity and credibility hasnt it?

My God what perfect symphony of greed, dumbness, and mismanagement.

It's almost an achievement.......

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The Xbox brand really lost any sense of identity and credibility hasnt it?

My God what perfect symphony of greed, dumbness, and mismanagement.

It's almost an achievement.......
A career moment one could say...
Dr Evil GIF

• fire
Reactions: Monkeyclaw