Matt Piscatella: Sub. growth has flattened & sub services account for only 10% video game spending in the US. |UP| Game Hardware Market Peaked in 2008

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Mattrick actually had good credentials as a game developer and executive and was brought from EA to oversee Xbox. Phil Spencer has none of that, dude just somehow kept getting promoted despite failing miserably at his previous assignments.
Mattrick had the decency to bring new games even for disastrous xbone release. He lynched for the drm stuff just for Microsoft bring back anyway lol

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Mattrick had the decency to bring new games even for disastrous xbone release. He lynched for the drm stuff just for Microsoft bring back anyway lol
I liked him much better than Phil. He was upfront at lest, Phil pretty much accomplished everything Don Mattrick tried to do in terms of killing physical media on Xbox, but Phil Spencer did it with his good guy act and spinning all of it as a positive thing.

I would not be surprised if we ever find out Phil Spencer was the guy that was pushing Don Mattrick towards all that stupid stuff, given that he was the one MS kept to keep pushing things in that direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
How I Met Your Mother Sitcom GIF by Laff
They went covert and got the job done 🤣

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
So which is more likely/viable?

- There's another Xbox after Series S|X

- Microsoft adds "Xbox" to Windows such that any PC/handheld can run in console mode. The UI exposes your Steam library seamlessly, but you buy games via the Xbox store as if it was a console.

- Microsoft concedes PC gaming to Steam/SteamOS. Does a deal with Valve to get Game Pass on Steam.
No further console. Xbox store on PC becomes a storefront competing with Steam. They offer GP as a sub service like EA/Ubisoft on PS and other gaming services. I don't think they would need GP on Steam since it's accessible enough already on PC and they're already launching titles directly on Steam.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Bear thing thy can do since thru have COD, Minecraft, and those games under acquisition. They are snsrtening up "if you can't beat them, join them.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KiryuRealty

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No further console. Xbox store on PC becomes a storefront competing with Steam. They offer GP as a sub service like EA/Ubisoft on PS and other gaming services. I don't think they would need GP on Steam since it's accessible enough already on PC and they're already launching titles directly on Steam.
No console experience on PC? They already did this and gave up on it.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Why, in the year of our lord 2024, am i seeing Don fucking Matrick being brought up????? The man just said to buy a 360, Phil is saying to buy a PC, ,TV, Pbone, Alexa and soon a PS5. It is clear who did the most damage to the console.

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Service like Game Pass and PS Plus Premium is great when you had it for first time. Suddenly, you gain access to lot of games you never play. Once you try everything and finish game you like then it is wait and hoping game you want will join service. At some point it is better to buy game you want to play.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Service like Game Pass and PS Plus Premium is great when you had it for first time. Suddenly, you gain access to lot of games you never play. Once you try everything and finish game you like then it is wait and hoping game you want will join service. At some point it is better to buy game you want to play.
agreed. I got 6 months of gamepass and then i was out permanently.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

I prefer Nintendo's strategy of only offering retro games. I wish Sony had a seperate service for that so we could get ps1,2,3 and psp games on there.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I prefer Nintendo's strategy of only offering retro games. I wish Sony had a seperate service for that so we could get ps1,2,3 and psp games on there.
I'd love some Vita games too

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
how many years do you think before the -$70B turns positive?
It doesn’t need.
AB acquisition is an asset and you can get back that money (or part) selling the asset and not making profit with the asset.

Think like a build office… you buy it but you don’t need to recover what you paid for it because it has it own value and you can just sell it (at that you will make comparison if you make profit or lose with it).

These $70b were used in an asset.

The revenue and profit(or loses) that asset gives starts when it operates behind the company that brought it.

Let’s say if AB next fiscal year add $500m profit to Xbox then it was very successful business.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It doesn’t need.
AB acquisition is an asset and you can get back that money (or part) selling the asset and not making profit with the asset.

Think like a build office… you buy it but you don’t need to recover what you paid for it because it has it own value and you can just sell it (at that you will make comparison if you make profit or lose with it).

These $70b were used in a asset.

The revenue and profit(or loses) that asset gives starts when it operates behind the company that brought it.

Let’s say if AB next fiscal year add $500m profit to Xbox then it was very successful business.
That's only if the asset maintains its value. With Lbox's shitty management the value of that asset is likely to crater. Microsoft paid $7b for Bethesda, what do you think they'd get on the open market for them now? I bet not even half that.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's only if the asset maintains its value. With Lbox's shitty management the value of that asset is likely to crater. Microsoft paid $7b for Bethesda, what do you think they'd get on the open market for them now? I bet not even half that.
But that will only be know if they try to sell the asset. You don’t need to recover money used to buy assets.

The costs to make that asset operates behind your company is posted as costs… that interfere in the financials of Xbox.
The asset value you paid to adquire it not.

What matters for Xbox financially is if AB will have profit (any) after they started to operate behind them.
If there are profit then good they will aim to increase that profit.
If there not then it was a bad business and they need asap to find solutions to turn it into profit.

But let’s be clear here nobody expect AB to not profit… anybody that brought them no matter the price will be having good with it.

You need to fuck up the operation of AB a lot it it not be a good business and I don’t see that happening… they don’t valued $70b because it was a bad business… it is the opposite they were good and solid (basically no risk).

For example Square Enix is a more risk acquisition because they post some quarters profit, others loses… they are not a solid company like AB but hey they market value is way lower and shows that.

Do you think Apple and MS really values $1 trillion? Not… this market value is because they are as solid as a company as possible… they make money (a lot) even in the worst scenarios… in a hypothetical scenario anybody that can buy one of them will basically print a lot of money and that is why they are so valued in the market… 0 risk.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
It doesn’t need.

These $70b were used in an asset.

Activision worth is dictate buy the market. There is absolutely no chance they worth 70bil and if for whatever reason cod keeps declining than won't be worth 10bil. Just look how Elon musk fuck twitter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS