Matt Piscatella: Sub. growth has flattened & sub services account for only 10% video game spending in the US. |UP| Game Hardware Market Peaked in 2008

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
I remember since 2020 these so called analyst were shilling hard for gamepass and how this Netflix model will be the future of videogames
And last year they were whoring themselves for the activision acquisition and also they were lusting for PlayStation downfall and pushing for call of duty to be exclusive
Now after M$ failed to achieve all these things and Xbox series x are doing worse numbers then the original Xbox these paid shills changed their tune to the industry is dying and Sony & Nintendo should release their games on Xbox series x
I swear these people have no dignity and shame smh 🤦

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All of these clowns move as a collective, whatever Microsoft says go. Daniel Zhuge is even amplifying Destins garbage article 🤦‍♂️and of course Mat retweeted it

Their angle makes no sense, it's better to be dominant on console than to not be dominant anywhere. The console market clearly can support multiple 100m+ consoles how is that not enought?

If Sony is this foolish I hope they get BTFO from the console market and regret taking it for granted.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If Sony is this foolish I hope they get BTFO from the console market and regret taking it for granted.
Me too.

All of these media people keep pushing Xbox's narrative, eventually Sony will fall for it like they did with subscription services, pc, mobile, and gaas. And it'll create another self fulfilling prophecy. Totoki, Kenichiro, and Hulst need to go asap, they know nothing about gaming.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
All of these clowns move as a collective, whatever Microsoft says go. Daniel Zhuge is even amplifying Destins garbage article 🤦‍♂️and of course Mat retweeted it

Me too.

All of these media people keep pushing Xbox's narrative, eventually Sony will fall for it like they did with subscription services, pc, mobile, and gaas. And it'll create another self fulfilling prophecy. Totoki, Kenichiro, and Hulst need to go asap, they know nothing about gaming.

Well, Sony has been publishing computer games since the '80s, when they made their own MSX computers, and mobile games since the '00s, when mobile gaming started. Nintendo has been making mobile games for a while, even if no that long.

But it's true that every generation game budgets are increasing at a way faster pace than prices or sales, so all publishers (including MS and Sony) have to keep finding new revenue sources, and the easiest way is to extend to the other biggest non-console markets they have available: PC and specially mobile.

It is also true that console gaming userbase didn't almost grow over decades when inflation corrected the graphs, while PC grew more and mobile gaming market has been skyrocketing. Plus there has been a huge inflation, rise of certain costs, interests, etc. So if they want to considerably grow their market to expand to PC and specially mobile makes a lot of sense.

Specially when considering that newer generations, and emerging markets who are becoming very important and the fastest growing ones (like China, India, LATAM, other Asian countries) play more on PC and specially mobile than in console. Meaning, PC and specially mobile will be more important in the future than they will be now.

Nintendo is the one who less needs it, because they are the ones who spend the least on making their hardware and games and aren't fans of discounts and price cuts, so sell them with a big profit margin. Plus on top of that, they sell a lot of units of both. But eventually, specially for the non-big seller games will need it.

It's more a long term thing, since in the short and mid term Sony and specially Nintendo are more than fine focused on console as they are. Unlike MS, this isn't mandatory shift for them right now. But sooner or later is something all big publishers will have to do.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well, Sony has been publishing computer games since the '80s, when they made their own MSX computers, and mobile games since the '00s, when mobile gaming started. Nintendo has been making mobile games for a while, even if no that long.

But it's true that every generation game budgets are increasing at a way faster pace than prices or sales, so all publishers (including MS and Sony) have to keep finding new revenue sources, and the easiest way is to extend to the other biggest non-console markets they have available: PC and specially mobile.

It is also true that console gaming userbase didn't almost grow over decades when inflation corrected the graphs, while PC grew more and mobile gaming market has been skyrocketing. Plus there has been a huge inflation, rise of certain costs, interests, etc. So if they want to considerably grow their market to expand to PC and specially mobile makes a lot of sense.

Specially when considering that newer generations, and emerging markets who are becoming very important and the fastest growing ones (like China, India, LATAM, other Asian countries) play more on PC and specially mobile than in console. Meaning, PC and specially mobile will be more important in the future than they will be now.

Nintendo is the one who less needs it, because they are the ones who spend the least on making their hardware and games and aren't fans of discounts and price cuts, so sell them with a big profit margin. Plus on top of that, they sell a lot of units of both. But eventually, specially for the non-big seller games will need it.

It's more a long term thing, since in the short and mid term Sony and specially Nintendo are more than fine focused on console as they are. Unlike MS, this isn't mandatory shift for them right now. But sooner or later is something all big publishers will have to do.
This makes absolutely no sense, either console games are viable or they aren't publishing games on mobile have nothing to do with that. It's not like people are going to be buying Spider-man 2 on mobile phones it's a complete separate business.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's so funny to read the Resetera thread
All the people who were supporting the activision deal in that infamous Echo chamber thread are now suddenly changed there nertives to the console gaming industry are daying 🤣😂
It's extremely ironic that they pretend to be radical anti-capitalists but shill for MS, the biggest and one of the most vile companies in the world, usually because they are broke and have been enslaved by MS rewards (the lowest paying activity in the world) and manipulated by unsophisticated PR.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
My point is Mat's trying (really damn hard) to suggest console gaming in 2024 is going down the shitter any chance he can, because that narrative is one he's clearly been tasked with airing. Doing so by comparing 2008 dollars spent on hardware in the US to now is an utter nonsense for myriad reasons, only some of which I've outlined above. You could say he should know better, but that's to assume he's dim and doesn't know his arse form his elbow - but that's not the case, he knows exactly what he's doing and he does it a lot of the time with dollar spend metrics because they're easy to paint the kinds of pictures he wants to portray.

But that's not what he's been saying though. Not growing =/= being in the shitter.

But because we live in a shareholders capitalism model that seeks everlasting growth, a stagnant/stable/mature market is not acceptable to them, so Mat is right that multiple publishers are seeking opportunities where they haven't introduced their products. I think we've sort of noticed this happen in different ways.

I do think that if he can't handle the twitter warriors coming at him every time he says something like that, he should probably stop doing it. Although I sympathize with having to deal with weirdos, you've got to have some pride in whatever statements you put out, come on now.

Their angle makes no sense, it's better to be dominant on console than to not be dominant anywhere. The console market clearly can support multiple 100m+ consoles how is that not enought?

Zhuge is an analyst for a firm that specializes in Asia/MENA region, he's got a way different perspective because many of the markets he's in don't give two shits about console gaming. Many of them are almost exclusively mobile/PC markets.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I remember since 2020 these so called analyst were shilling hard for gamepass and how this Netflix model will be the future of videogames
And last year they were whoring themselves for the activision acquisition and also they were lusting for PlayStation downfall and pushing for call of duty to be exclusive
Now after M$ failed to achieve all these things and Xbox series x are doing worse numbers then the original Xbox these paid shills changed their tune to the industry is daying and Sony & Nintendo should release their games on Xbox series x
I swear these people have no dignity and shame smh 🤦
2 months ago nobody was saying the market was dying. Mat was always very optimistic and he had the stats to prove the market was very healthy...basically every month it was good news besides subscriptions.

Going back to Activision, we were told relentlessly that it was good for the industry and for competition. Sony didn't have to worry at all about losing all the publishers because the market was SO HEALTHY Sony would come out stronger. There was enough space for everybody and competition is good for customers.

Xbox collapsed and Phil started making interviews blaming the whole market and Gen Z. Overnight, all the "analysts" changed their tune and consoles are dying and Sony Too.

It makes no sense. This is Game Pass astroturfing all over again.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
2 months ago nobody was saying the market was dying. Mat was always very optimistic and he had the stats to prove the market was very healthy...basically every month it was good news besides subscriptions.

Going back to Activision, we were told relentlessly that it was good for the industry and for competition. Sony didn't have to worry at all about losing all the publishers because the market was SO HEALTHY Sony would come out stronger. There was enough space for everybody and competition is good for customers.

Xbox collapsed and Phil started making interviews blaming the whole market and Gen Z. Overnight, all the "analysts" changed their tune and consoles are dying and Sony Too.

You can't tell me these analysts aren't some sort of informal cartel

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
It's extremely ironic that they pretend to be radical anti-capitalists but shill for MS, the biggest and one of the most vile companies in the world, usually because they are broke and have been enslaved by MS rewards (the lowest paying activity in the world) and manipulated by unsophisticated PR.
I think ever since xbox put some agent as mods there...many ps fan on era already banned and move elsewhere..

That place already lose some traffic compared to its early days right....cos many era ps community already left..

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
I think ever since xbox put some agent as mods there...many ps fan on era already banned and move elsewhere..

That place already lose some traffic compared to its early days right....cos many era ps community already left..
Yeah ps community moved to discord I think
Nintendo fans moved to famiboard
Sells community moved to installbaseforum

Reactions: Airbus

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

This whole shit show started with the Insomniac hack. I wish more people would do a deep dive on that. It can’t be a coincidence

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I don't want a response from you, because you've been proven wrong in other threads, but for anyone reading this, this is not true and is in fact a lie. PC gaming has not grown - it has shrunk heavily when inflation adjusted.

Consoles are the lifeblood of traditional gaming, PC a dying afterthought, and mobile is the way to branch out. That's the only one worth noting in regards to emerging markets like India and Africa.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't want a response from you, because you've been proven wrong in other threads, but for anyone reading this, this is not true and is in fact a lie. PC gaming has not grown - it has shrunk heavily when inflation adjusted.

Consoles are the lifeblood of traditional gaming, PC a dying afterthought
So you say that these market analysis firms, the big publishers and platform holders and publisher national associations who use and share their graphs (plus provide them the data to make such graphs), plus websites like Bloomberg or gamedeveloper.com are lying or wrong and that you are right without having a single decent receipt to back such claim?

Sure, Jan.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Consoles are the lifeblood of traditional gaming, PC a dying afterthought, and mobile is the way to branch out. That's the only one worth noting in regards to emerging markets like India and Africa.
Well, if you're counting inflation then its like consoles are doing great either, more like treading water. So much of the PC space is bullshit GaaS hunting for whales. If that is what keeps them going then they might as well be dead because to me that is a distinction without difference. And, of course, consoles have to deal with that too while its seemingly all that mobile is.