Metal Gear Solid remake from Konami rumored for PS5 |UP| Confirmed MGS 3 remake mentioned in official Konami video. Patch for MG collection incoming.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think that’s a big factor in Silent Hill games being shit after The Room.

The series was more popular in the west, and a lot of things in them that were really unnerving and disturbing to westerners in them were more familiar in Japanese horror media. A Japanese businessman would look at that and think “If westerners love it so much more than Japanese buyers, maybe a western game would do EVEN BETTER!”, not realizing that the Japanese cultural influence was the secret sauce that made the games hits.

This leads to western devs making cargo-cult J-horror knockoffs, if they even put THAT much effort into things.

Of course, I could be overthinking it and Konami could just be a bunch of cheap fucks who just looked for the lowest bidder to turn maximum profit on products they really don’t give a shit about.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why are rhey remaking MGS3 First than going back to 1?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
These rumours have been going on for awhile. I think before the PS5 reveal.

Doubt its exclusive, just like MGS3 turned out not to be PS5 exclusive.

Bluepoint should of been working on it

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
These rumours have been going on for awhile. I think before the PS5 reveal.

Doubt its exclusive, just like MGS3 turned out not to be PS5 exclusive.

Bluepoint should of been working on it

The rumor.

Dev friend of mine mentioned it was a thing and in development for PS4. This was what was originally rumored.

It never showed and most assumed it doesn’t exist or got moved to PS5.

While porting 3 makes the most sense as it is the first game in the series chronologically (and also the best MGS game). But if Sony has their hands on a deal to develop mgs1 remake themselves….

Considering Sony got the FF7 remake off the ground, SFV to exist at all, the botched kotor deal and the Silent Hill reboot… none of this is so outrageous

Team REAL

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023

Really? What kind of sense would it make to do chronological remakes, start with MGS3 as multiplatform and then for some stupid reason decide to exclude entire user bases with MGS1 remake, only to what make them multi platform again with 2 and 4?

It’s senseless. The rumor died once they showed MGS3 Delta as multiplatform.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Really? What kind of sense would it make to do chronological remakes, start with MGS3 as multiplatform and then for some stupid reason decide to exclude entire user bases with MGS1 remake, only to what make them multi platform again with 2 and 4?

So the same thing that happened with MGS4, Peace Walker (timed for several years) and Portable Ops (still exclusive)? That's nothing new for MG games. Not counting AC!D games, also still exclusive.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
So the same thing that happened with MGS4, Peace Walker (timed for several years) and Portable Ops (still exclusive)? That's nothing new for MG games. Not counting AC!D games, also still exclusive.

How is it the same? MGS1 to MGS4 all launched as PlayStation exclusives. Portables too.

Things have changed. Sony for whatever reason didn’t pursue MGS exclusivity, probably because Konami was asking too much.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How is it the same? MGS1 to MGS4 all launched as PlayStation exclusives. Portables too.

Things have changed. Sony for whatever reason didn’t pursue MGS exclusivity, probably because Konami was asking too much.
AAA game development costs kept growing each generation but prices (considering inflation) decreased and sales were pretty much the same, so third parties needed to go multiplatform to get enough revenue to keep AAA business being profitable and relatively safe.

First party moneyhats to keep a game exclusive don't cover the whole development.

We also have to remember they just released a -multiplatform- collection of MGS remastered games, which apparently is going to receive a second volume with other MG games.

I think that as the Konami guy said, if they see MGS remakes sell they'll make more. Meaning, depending on MGS3 Delta sales they may do after it MGS1 Delta in the future or not.

Konami also has now a gazillion projects under development (including unannounced Silent Hill titles under development), so I doubt they could have a MGS1 remake too in the works on top of all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thirty7ven

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Ummm idk there some rough visuals and specular aliasing and chromatic abberation and it shows. A remake would do wonders.
Only technical issue that needed fixing was the framerate (pacing even). The rest is art directoon choices, including the exaggerated chromatic aberration.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Looks like they might be doing something about the low resolution. They mention upscaling in regards tl the collection but...

They talk about the MGS3 remake near end of the video and there is a press start screen.

1710850782676.png

Also talk about There is also a question about Master Collection Vol 2 around 16:05 but there is no translation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Metal Gear Solid 3 art by Yoji Shinkawa

(Image credit: Konami)

Konami has hosted what it calls a "production hotline" event, featuring some of the key creatives behind the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection and the upcoming MGS3 remake Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater. Hey: call these things Hotline Konami. You can have that one for free.

The key figure here is producer Noriaki Okamura, who's in charge of the company's attempts to revitalise the series, and a true Konami veteran who also worked with the old Kojima Productions throughout its lifespan. Okamura has a seriously impressive history: among other things he was key to Policenauts and had senior roles on tons of Metal Gear games. He even got a "special thanks" from Kojima in Metal Gear Solid's credits.

Okamura spoke about what Konami's hoping to do with Delta, and the following is a machine translation of some of his remarks (should Konami release an official English transcript, I'll update). The full event can be viewed (in Japanese) on Youtube.
The host asks how many of the original MGS3 team are working on Delta. "Not all of them, but many of them are still involved," says Okamura. "Some people are walking a new path. The number of people who don't know about MGS is increasing, so I want to do something about this situation, and I think it's our mission for those of us who remain at Konami to preserve Metal Gear for future generations."

Meanwhile, no less than David Hayter (the voice of Solid Snake and Big Boss in MGS1 through 4) has been bragging about playing the game itself. "Please don’t tell anyone… but I played the opening of MGS Delta up to the bridge scene the other day," said Hayter on X. "It was spectacular."